Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
JFranklin

M.O.C. #9413
Battery charging from shore power

I just bought my first 5th wheel and obviously it is a Montana or I wouldn't be here. So far so good. Much easier towing a 5th wheel than a bumper trailer not quite as easy a tillered ladder truck. My question is: Does the shore power charge the batteries or do I need to get a battery charger and hook that up so they stay charged? I have looked all over and can't find a charger. I have a 2005 2980RL. I know they charge while I am driving but with 3 jobs I won't be driving with it as much as I would like. Additionally, is there a minimum distance that there should be between the truck side and the 5th wheel? Very informative web site.

Jack

JFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The converter has a built in battery charger. We hope you enjoy your new 5th wheel.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Welcome to the MOC!

There is a converter which takes in 120V AC and produces 12V DC. It is located (probably) behind your circuit breaker panel. If you have the built-in vacuum cleaner, it is easier to remove it to access the converter. The good news is that the 12V DC is used to charge the batteries. The bad news is you likely have an IOTA converter. It is *NOT* a "smart" charger. If left plugged in for a long time, it usually tends to boil the water in the batteries due to over charging. You can add a IQ4 module from IOTA that makes the unit a "smart" charger. You can find it on the web for around $30. A good investment if you leave your rig plugged in.

As for distance between the bedrails of the TV and the overhang of the fifth wheel, 6" or more is generally considered adequate.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you are plugged into shore power your batteries will be recharged if they were installed correctly. What you'll need to be careful of is overcharging and losing electolytes (?) when plugged into shore power. You do need to monitor the Battery fluid (water) cells on a monthly basis to make sure the water in the battery has not evaporated causing electrolytes to be lost and damaging the battery while being charge! Measuring the battery voltage from 13.2 to 13.5 volts is NOT an indicator that the batteries are being damaged due to overcharging so check the water periodically, too.

An additional option to consider. In my case, I store my RV at my house and keep it plugged into a 15 amp circuit. I cannot run the AC but can use the lights, appliances, televisions and move the slides in and out. To prevent battery damage I also installed a quick disconnect so that the batteries are not overcharged. I then use a Battery Minder trickle charger/conditioner to keep the batteries charged and ready to go. I also installed a manifold type refiller so that once a month I can top off the battery water automatically.

Lastly, I also have a nice 12v automotive battery charger as a backup. I got it at Sears decades ago and use it to help relatives and neighbors with battery problems - I have not had to use it on this trailer and hope I don't.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the IOTA Converter. The only time our 3400 is not hooked to shore power is when we are dragging it down the road. Our batteries are 3 years old. We have no problems. We do carry a battery charger.....you never know????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When my Iota converter wrecked havoc in my rig, the dealer replaced it with an Intelipower 9280, a step down converter by Power Dynamics. It has a three stage charger and automatically senses and selects what the battery needs.

Location of the converter varies with the model. Someone with the same model rig as yours will be best to tell you where it is.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
We have a 2004 2980RL and I will guess that the layout is pretty much the same. Your battery will recharge/charge while plugged in to shore power. You must keep the water topped off in the battery(s) while recharging however or you will bake the plates. I've done that! Your 12v distribution panal should be located just inside the door of the camper. If you pull the 4 screws out of the two power panals and look on the floor behind it you might find a charger unit called a DLS 55. This is an charger/converter unit made by Iota. It is NOT a "smart" charger but can be made into a "smart" charger by the addition of the IQ4 smart controler (http://www.nooutage.com/iq-4.htm).Its about $30 and with it you don't have to worry about "cooking" your battery while charging it while connected to shore power. Good Luck!
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote