Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
FlashG
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7971
Montana Floorplan Recommedations?

I All,

We are interested in the Montana FW line.

We like plan #'s 2980 and 3075.

Any pros or cons?

We also like the Everest lines and Bighorn Model 3055.

I noticed that Montana has a much higher carrying capacity than the Everest line. Anything to look out for.
I am considering an order to Lakeshore because of the low price quotes.

Thanks for all the anticipated advice!

FlashG

FlashG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You will probably notice that we are slightly to greatly prejudiced toward Montanas. After all, that's what we put our money into. If we had thought the other brands were a better investment, we would have bought that brand. Most (but not all) of us think that Montana gives you the best bang-for-the-buck. You can spend more, but not get very much gain when you do or you can spend less and get considerably less in the way of value and quality.

As you can see in my signature, I have the 2008 Montana Big Sky 340 RLQ. This is our second Montana and we are more satisfied with this one as we were with the first. We are fulltimers, so we are enthusiastic about our home on wheels. Is it trouble free? Absolutely not and neither will any other model by any other manufacturer be trouble free. I have had very few issues to deal with while others have had more.

As to the floor plans you are considering, Floor plans are so individual to the felt needs of the buyer. We bought what we bought, not because it was so much better than all the rest, rather we bought Montana quality in a floor plan that we liked.

Good luck on your search and Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
As a friend of mine told me re. shopping for a boat (or RV), just go look at lots. You'll know the right one when you find it. It'll feel right. Keep looking until that happens!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jay, first of all welcome to the forum! You'll see here that there are a lot of friendly RVr's out here and all of us own a Montana of some sort or another--this IS a Montana owners website! Anyway, I own a 2004 2980RL and we bought it from a friend but it is just like new. We really like the floor plan and the only problem we've seen is the dining set. We have the table and 4 chairs and if we want to get to the frig when we stop for a break in traveling, we have to climb over the table and couch to get to the frig when the slides are in. This can be eliminated by turning the table lengthwise instead of the usual way. As one of the other posts noted-- keep looking-- you will find the one you really feel right about when you walk into it. It will just feel like home for you and that's the one to purchase. We all hope you choose a Montana but if not enjoy it anyway!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
FlashG
I too got a great price from Lakeshore and was planning to buy from them, but before doing so I told our local dealer what that price was and laid that money on the table and they took it rather then loose the business. It might be worth a try.
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the MOC forum, FlashG. Like Stiles, we are on our second Montana. Ours is a 2006 2980 and we love it. We had the rear kitchen in our first Montana and like this better with the rear living. Our 2980 has enough room in it for us and seems almost perfect for what we are looking for at this time. We are longtimers and, if we were to go full time, would maybe opt for a larger unit. We like the kitchen table and chairs over the booth but, as Rondo said, it is difficult getting to the fridge while traveling. When we have a little time we can move just the one slide to make that trek, though. Whatever unit you choose, if it is a Montana, we believe that you will be very satisfied.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We think the perfect model is a 5476PM. You will find this on the Keystone web site under http://ThePerfectFloorPlanForMe.com, 54' 76" long, P)erfect M)odel.

All kidding aside, I wanted a motorhome. I thought it would be easier to maneuver and set up. As a result of going to many different "shows", we ended up at a Montana dealer's show at the Livestock Event Center in our home town, and who only had 5th wheels to sell. I looked at my wife and said "Let's leave". She responded by saying that we should look at the 5th wheels since we were already here. We looked at a few, but when we walked into a 3400RL, her eyes lit up. I knew that this was our future. In fact, we're still in the very 3400RL that she walked in 2 years ago!

Bottom line: look at many; keep an open mind to different possibilities; and watch your mate's reaction. You'll find the perfect RV for you and your wife.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
How true...when you get 'that look' from your spouse you know you're onto something. That happened to us twice.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:32 AM   #9
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
My first camper was a small trailer which we only kept a few months. Our desires in the 5th wheel were:
Tube shower, wife takes baths,
Bathroom vice just toilet in a room,
Ability to use without putting slides out,
Rear living room with sofa bed, ( 3 slides give room for grandkids & family)
Table & chairs vice booth,
Bedroom not part of bathroom & with door, not curtain,
Entertainment center meets you lifestyle, (we use the desk for computer etc.),

Things we lucked out & got:
Slide toppers,
Tinted windows & maybe double pained,
Larger AC & wired for second AC,
Larger heater & water heater,

Things I wish I had:
Kitchen equipment & counter space meets your requirements (we use the kitchen but not enough counter space),
Fireplace for heat in winter,
Artic package (heated tanks, water lines & more insulation for summer & winter),
Entrance step height between steps, if you are older (ours are taller then most & not comfortable),
Storage space depends on you life style but you never have enough inside or out,
Nice to have the new control center for water & sewer values (convent & all in one place),
Storage place for power cables, water houses, wheel chocks etc. separate from other storage,

Truck: long bed 350 dolly pickup (no slider & I think the 350 dolly would be safer) plan for future,
May want the airbag hitches vice the standard, don’t want to pay for this stuff twice,

I have only had my 5th wheel just over a year & I was lucky, only a few of the above list was a requirement for us but lucked out and the unit had most of the rest. The others or my requirements for the next unit.

Good luck in your choice.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We also looked at the 2980 and 3075. We chose the 3075 because we wanted the more open floor area than we did the extended kitchen counter. That counter just seemed to take too much of what little room you have to begin with. But everyone has their own preferences. Tour both until you decide which you like better.
And we do love our Montana!
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #11
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I would say go to a Montana dealer and really look at all the models. Check the weight of all of them. If you already have a truck make sure it will handle the trailer. Like others have said when you get in the right one for you you'll know it.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
You will know which one you want when you walk into it and it screams out to you TAKE ME HOME. Our 298RL is perfect for us. One thing we really like about it is that it is useable with the slides in.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote