Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
3000RK Owner Questions

Ok Fellers and Gals...

Unless you live under a rock you know I like my Mountaineer 330RKBS so much I am upgrading to its big brother/sister the Montana 3000RK.

Some of you 3000RK owners let me know of some of the things you have noticed needing a little maintance from time to time. Yes, I know everything needs maintance but are there any problem areas I should look out for?
What is the one thing you wish you would have had the dealer do which you were wishy washy about having done before you left and then thought later on "I wish I would have had them do that."

From what little I have seen so far my slide system will be completely different. I currently have electric slides but no fluid systems to worry about. This will be a new world when I pick up the 5ht wheel.

Here are a couple of the differences between the mountaineer 330RKBS I have and the 3000RK I have found just from pictures and a couple of RV Shows over the past year...
1. The slide in the 5th wheel is Hydraulic, not just electric powered cylinder motors.
2. The kitchen counter has the handy dandy trash hole so I can have a bigger trash can in the storage area below.
3. the dreaded drawer under the fridge which I will have to put a child safety latch on before we leave the dealer.
4. A much smaller closet in the 3000RK Compaired to the 330RKBS.
5. The underbed storage has just vanished on the 5th wheel. The Mountaineer had full underbed storage because there is no hydraulic lines.
6. The nice door which opens down to the underbelly storage area.
7. I am gaining a lot of cabinet space by moving up to a 5th wheel.

I could continue but I will spare you the suffering of reading anymore.

2 days, 9 hours and 3 states until delivery.
Thanks Y'all
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
The one think I did on my new unit was adjust all of the catches on all cabinet doors and doors so they do not open. I did have to take mine back for a bad hydraulic line on the rear slide and I had already transfered every thing from one coach to the other, I did not have one single door or drawer come open anywhere. If you look at Ozz's post's you can see what he did about under the bed storage. Also where they put the washer/dryer combo it also has a bar in there for hanging stuff or just storage if you do not have the machine. That is all I can think of right now since the coach is not at home.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
The best thing that I did to mine was install a Mor/Ryde pin box. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
The one thing that has bothered me more then I thought it would is not being able to get to the kitchen and refer with the slide closed. Bill and Lisa showed me how they turned their table to give room to pass, I may do that. Added a 5th Airbourn pin box, excellent addition. Just completed a 4200 trip, no problems at all. Cross my fingers!
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I went for the B&W Companion Hitch. I am a newby on the 5th wheel rv hitch. I want to be able to remove the 5th wheel hitch so I can hook up to the gooseneck horse trailer. The B&W companion will allow me to easily remove the 5th wheel hitch.
I do have airbags installed on my truck so I hope this helps out with ride.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Phil,
There are a couple of things I would do differently, if I were doing it again.

1. During the PDI, check EVERYTHING, from compartment door fitment, to the color of the awning. On the big slide, check the roof for sag. Get on top and look at the black rubber seal, if the roof has any sag, it will be visible along this seal.

2. I would have done as xthread did, and had the Mor/Ryde pin box installed, or maybe the 5th Airborn.

Other than that, I'm as happy as a pig in a mud hole .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
1 on the drawer under the refg i put bundgys to hold it closed , you have to add some eye hooks as also the cab next to the stove and micro , i bundgy those to a hook by the micro
2 i built a spice cab next to the refg on the side wall 13" wide 4" deep but 6' tall , you can order the doors out of your dealer and the handels , if they won't sell them , let me know
3 i added prefinished shelves to all cabs in the big slide area and across from that
4 i built slideing drawers in the cabinets next to the stove and micro , full slide out hardware
5 i put a 6' long ladder , folding style 4" x 4" over the gas tank on the street side
6 i added a reg trailer hitch to the rear for a bike rack
7 i added a handrail going up the steps to the bedroom
8 we threw out the so called chairs in the living rm and got 2 leater like eckenos chairs and stool, look around we pd 900.00 for 2
9 we put in a new mattress 72" wide king pillow top its great
10 iron head board over bed
11 built a hook to hold the vac hose in the frt closet
12above the sink took out the center rail in cab and added 2 shelves
remember all shelves i added a oak strip to the front 1/4 thich and it sticks up a big 1/4"
i hope you have 6000 lb axels as the 5200 are toooooooooooooooo lite and you will lose tires
if you need detail on any thing i will take pictures and mail to you or call me in fl on my cell 920-639-6127 john the list goes on yet from here we added awnings over the slides carefree brand
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
what state are you going to get your unit as you cross 3 states
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
DW loves ours.
1. Added a fan/light switch in the toilet area
2. Added a wire shelf in the W/D closet for storage
3. Like the trash can location
4. Loves fireplace
5. Added 5th airborne,
6. kid lock below refri.
7. mini bunge on cabnits above sink
8. ADD VALVE SO YOU CAN OPEN MAIN SLIDE WITHOUT OPENING BEDROOM SLIDE, great for quick stops in rest areas. easy fix.
Good Luck, you will love it.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
We take off bright and early in the morning. We are traveling through 1/2 of Oklahoma, Most of Eastern Kansas and Northern Missouri right to the Illinois border. I just hope we get out of the dealership half way early on Friday so we can get back south before the sleet starts.
Yippee Road Trip!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
i see on the news you are in the snowbelt of a trip ,, good luck and slow down john
Old 11-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054

After a 9 hour drive on Thursday we finally arrived in La Grange, Missouri. I unfortunately had decided before we departed we would stay at the state park. When we drove through the park we quickly changed our mind about my plan. Lesson learned...never judge a book by its internet page cover. With that said, we turned around and headed to Quincy, Illinois for the night. After 9 hours in the vehicle I just wanted out. I was impressed with Quincy. It is a nice town.

This morning we got up early and headed back to the dealership. We picked up .....(new trailer needs to be named) and headed south fast. We missed all of the wet stuff until we got to Branson. Just after we set up and went inside to start unpacking the sprinkles started. We got most of the stuff put up but as usual its a fight to the end.

I love the new trailer. I thought the night shades were burgandy but they are brown. This was an unexpected and plesant surprise.

There is a lot more I love about the trailer but I am too tired to write anymore.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Congratulations Phil, I know you are going to love your new trailer.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote