Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Colder Air from the Ford A/C

I've read several of you have been unimpressed with the cooling qualities of some of your late model trucks. My fix that will blow ice cubes at you is a simple heater core shutoff valve that was standard on many vehicles up until the last 6 - 8 years ... the big 3 had to cut cost somwhere I guess. On most newer models, the heater core is circulating hot water from the moment you start up. On hot days your A/C has to not only cool the outside temp, but also cool the air flowing through the heater core. I selected a manual valve off a 70's Mustang, but vacuum operated ones can be installed if you have a known vacuum source when the A/C is turned on. Just splice it in the heater hose coming off the water pump. I'm not going to install a control cable, but simply open it up this fall when I need the heater working. My defrost works adequately this time of year without opening the valve.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
pretty slick, my friend.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Thanks Dieselguy.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting update. Thanks.

I do have a concern, however. The heater core is also a radiator that dissipates heat from the water, acting as additional radiator capacity. First, is it performing this function even when the incab heater controls have not activated the heater (not blowing hot air into the cab, in other words)? If so, then wouldn't this bypass reduce the cooling capacity of the overall radiator system? If so, I'm not sure I'd want to use the bypass when towing.

If the heater core does not act as a radiator when the heater is not blowing hot air, then my question is moot.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My powerstroke carries about 12+ gallons of coolant in the radiator and block combined ... there's probably 1.5 quarts in the heater core and heater hoses ... or about 3% of total coolant capacity. Like I mentioned earlier, up until about the late 90's (some still have it today) many vehicles came stock with the heater bypass valve installed in the heater hose to make it easier on the A/C. I just revived old technology. The big 3 are always looking to cut cost ... moving the dimmer switch off the floorboard was one (and you thought it was for safety) ... the water heater valve was another.
Oh sreigle ... unless you have the heater or A/C on there is no airflow across the heater core ... it'd be mighty a toasty ride otherwise. Now you know why when you first turn on just the vent, its rather warm at first.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would think a major player in the decision to do away with the heater water valve was the failure to operate after becoming corroded. I recall removing cable and vacuum operated valves and replacing them with manual gate valves back in the good old days.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote