Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Sam

M.O.C. #7395
Montana 3500/3400 ?

I have a 05 GMC 2500Dmax/Allison SRW purchased in May o5 to pull a 24ft. flatbed gooseneck and a fifth-wheel camper. I would like some ideas and thoughts about what I can pull and what I should buy from some of you experienced fifthwheelers. I already have my gooseneck on which I haul an antique tractor at a total trailer weight of 13,415 lbs.I do not know the pin weight, did not know it was a consern until now. I have had no problems with this load. I would like to buy a fifth wheel camper in the spring of 08 and be ready to camp in July 08 after retireing in June 08. Would be making short trips for the first year 300 miles max. My gooseneck hitch is a B&W and I would buy the Companion fifthwheel for the camper.
I have been to several RV shows and dealers, my first choice is a Montana 3500, second choice Montana 3400.
I have already upgraded my tires to 265/75/16 and installed a fifty gal. transfer fuel tank in the bed against the cab. Some time in the next 6 months I plan to install Firestone Air Bags on the rear axle. What ever I end up with I plan to order MOR/ryde suspension, MOR/ryde pin box and possibly disc brakes.
My truck weighs 4360 front axle and 3240 rear axle this includes the truck, myself,my wife and 30 gal of fuel.
Please share your thoughts and ideas and also if anybody knows the location of the fresh water tank on the 3500 and the 3400 hopefully I can adjust the pin weight.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
3400 fresh water tank is in the very back. It can be used as a counterbalance for pin weight adjustments. I will not comment on the truck but I am sure others will.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I get the feeling you already know the answer Sam or you wouldn't be defending your motives already. Those trailers are too heavy for that 2500, no matter what you do to it. You're already over just by pin weight and the extra fuel you have added. Save your money and get the right truck, or go to a lighter trailer.

Here is the latest discussion:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23190
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Go to the 3000RK and you will be more in line with what a 3/4 ton can haul , both legal and safe ,, i know in the const industrey we always werer over wt and under money but that is past .. we drover around scales just to keep on the rd but we got caught sometimes ,, i remember the time i had to unload about 3000 or 4000 lbs of block i was hauling on top of a full load of lumber for a contractor and it cost us 3000.00 but he never pd the dif but thats buss .. now its retired time so get back to the close to legal limits and be safe even as they say i am over wt on my f250 pulling a 3000 rk but it handels great so i go but in the old days i would have pulled a 3400 or a lot more on a f250 but not anymore john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Suggest calling Keystone and/or Lippert about that Gooseneck. Old brain cells, but thought I remembered a discussion where it was stated in no uncertain terms that Gooseneck was a HUGE no no. Don't take our word for it, make the call. You are spending a bunch of coin, wouldn't want to go out of warranty on day one. Then again, maybe all the design changes on Montana's have eliminated this worry. Not sure I would trust a dealer on this, they will tell ya just about anything to sell a unit.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Sam,
The limit that is going to be most constraining for you is the GVWR of the Truck - 9,200 lbs. Without a trailer you are already at 7,600 lbs. That leaves 1,600 lbs for cargo and pin weight. Assuming you add nothing to the truck for supplies you can pull a unit with a pin weight of 1600 and stay within your truck's limits.
I am pulling a 3000RK (with a 2500 HD SRW) and am over my limit by over 1000 lbs. I have removed some items, will be counter balancing by putting water in my tank aft of the trailer axles and relocating/removing cargo in the trailer to try and get back in limits. I should have a new weight available in 2 weeks.
One other thought on tows with no problems: This being my first 5th wheel my opinion on whether is tows okay or not doesn't mean a thing. It is what I am used to and seem "normal" to me. I really wouldn't be surprised if one of my experienced friends hopped behind my wheel and took my rig for a spin and came back and said "you better have your life insurance paid up, your rig does _____ and ______ and I wouldn't drive it 5 miles let alone 500 miles." Anyone know where I can get "In God we Trust" graphics to put on the side?

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quite a number of us in this forum have put many, many miles on 3/4 ton trucks towing 3400's and other Montanas with not a single weight-related problem. However, there are a couple of caveats you will need to be aware of. First, you WILL be over at least the GVWR of your truck and possibly GCWR, also. And possibly rear axle rating as well as tire ratings. You will need to check those and decide for yourself whether to risk it.

Until recently trading, I put 85k on a Ford F250 towing this very heavily loaded 3400RK and a 3295RK almost as heavy before that. I had zero weight related problems. However, my GVWR was 10,000, not your 9,200. And my GCWR was 23,000. I think yours is 20,000. Your truck is a little bit lighter than was mine, though, so that accounts for a small amount of the differences.

If you fill up that extra tank, you'll put the truck that much farther over the ratings. At 7+ lbs per gallon, 50 gallons is another 350+ pounds. I would weigh the rig with that tank empty, first, and then decide whether to use it. You may be ok but I have doubts about that much more weight on that 2500.

If I read your post correctly, you are planning to use the fifthwheel hitch and not the gooseneck for the Montana, right? As said above, if you have problems with the overhang frame and are using a gooseneck, you probably have voided the warranty. I'm not positive about that but that's my understanding.

Bottom line is you can safely tow, in my opinion, both the 3500 and 3400 but not if you fill that extra tank and not with a gooseneck. Many here have successfully done it for years. But we know we are over the limits, we accept the risk, and we have had no problems. You will have to make your own decisions. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote