Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, if you decide to go with short boards for under the wheels, make sure they are long enough to cover the entire footprint of the tire but short enough to fit between the wheels. 12 inches works well for me.

I do not like putting a twist on the frame so I drop one gear, then use the switch to lower it until the pin snaps into place. I then lower the other leg to the ground/support, then raise it up to the next hole. At this point you can use small boards to shim it in place. I got tired of using shims so bought an adjustable footpad from Camping World. After doing the above I just rotate that pad until the pad touches down. We then are ready to lift the rig off the hitch and we are not putting a strain on the frame. Not everyone worries about this but I do. I've seen times the entry door will stick a little because of that twist and I don't think that's good for the rig. Maybe I'm just being paranoid about it.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Thanks for all the good ideas guys.
Jim
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:57 AM   #23
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I like short boards because it allows you back up say on an 1 1/2 board then if you need you can pull forward on 2 stacked 1 1/2 boards to gain more height.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just something I learned on this forum awhile back. There is no real need to carry boards of various thicknesses for leveling side to side. I you put a single board under just one tire, it will lift the rig half the height of the board. A board under both wheels will lift the height of one board.

Another tip some of us learned the hard way ... before you lower the landing gear, check the front to back level. If the nose is high, you will need to lower the landing gear far enough to allow you to bring them back up after unhitching in order to get the rig level. If you don't initially lower them enough the legs will reach their upper limit before the nose has come down enough to be level.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote