Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Question for Montana Owners living in Texas

Did you have to have the weight of your trailer in order to get your title and pay your taxes?

If so, what form of ID did you use? Did you have to take your trailer down to an official scale? like a "CAT SCALES" place?

Or is there a document that you got from the dealer showing your weights ?

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
For my title fee it is based upon weight. The weight is supplied by the dealer at the time of title application and it is based upon Keystone's specs of 14,300 gross weight for my trailer.

As far as taxes, the only tax I paid was Texas state sales tax on the differential between purchase price and my old trailer but I don't think you will have to pay sales tax on your unit a second time. There will probably be a $50 documentary fee for processing the title application. You might want to do a search for the Texas DOT website for further information.

There should be an 800 number for information in Austin.

The price of my trailer license is $130.68 but this will vary from county to county. I live in the greater Houston area and fees are generally higher here, but the base for trailer is $119.38.

Hope this helps.....
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Bluegill:
Don't know if this will help but this is the information on ours. We bought ours from a dealer in Texas and he took care of the registration and tag. Our title application receipt states the empty wt, carrying capacity and gross wt. Hope this helps.
Charlotte and Leon
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Charlie has it right, but I will just add that since I have a 2955RL and live in a rural county my registration this year for the Montana was $88.10. Have never had the trailer weighed. The registration papers set the weight from the manufacturer/dealer and the registration fee is based on that.

BTW the country variation is only based on a road/bridge fee which, I think, can be only an additional $10.00. I could be off on the amount, but that is close.

Since Texas has a "Registration Fee" based on weight and not a "Tax" based on value, the fee is not deductible on Federal Income Tax.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Our tag was $120.68. We were living in Tyler at the time.
Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Ok, Thanks for the info.
I bought my trailer here in Washington and I'm trying to title it in Texas.
The dealer gave me all the paper work to take to Texas to the DMV in order to get the price for taxes and so forth. The only thing that was not in the paper work was the weight of the trailer.
Apparently in Washington its not taxed that way. My bride is in Texas right now and we are trying to do this via fed-ex and multple phone calls. WHAT A PAIN !!!
Old 11-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I should have added this earlier:

We bought our Montana in Panama City, Florida (unplanned purchase--just found it 'on the road'). The dealer there withheld Texas sales Tax and gave me all the papers I needed. When I returned home to Texas everything was in order. I paid a few dollars after the tax was precisely figured. This was the first time I had ever purchased a vehicle of any kind outside the state of Texas.

Now, more recently, we just purchased an automobile in Shreveport, LA (Nearest dealer for auto we wanted). Again, no problem whatsoever. In this case we signed all the papers at the dealer and received our license plates in the mail from our home county in Texas.

The slight difference is that the dealer in Shreveport sells many of his units in Texas and all the papers and procedure are routine for him, as was not the case in Florida.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:54 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

BTW the country variation is only based on a road/bridge fee which, I think, can be only an additional $10.00. I could be off on the amount, but that is close.
In Polk County, we paid a one-time road/bridge fee of $90.00 for the Montana; also for the truck. This was in 2000. Don't know what it is today.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:03 AM   #9
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
For out of state you may have to do what you mentioned.I purchased my first 5TH wheel in Oklahoma and had to have it weighted and inspected at which time I was given a blue sheet to take to the tax assessor.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:29 AM   #10
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I will find out Monday if I have all my ducks in a row or not. The dealer here told me I had 30 days to title it or they would have to title it here and pay Washington taxes.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Blue gill... we had to have ours weighed as Washington does not do that. It had to be on an official scale (Like CAT scale) as well as an inspection (hard to find a trailer inspection place). We tried showng the brochure with the weights in it and they would not accept that. Did you have it weighed after you picked it up from Foley's? We tried to empty everything we could out of it before we weighed at the scale in New Braunfels and even then it was heavy!!! Washington does not put the weight on the title, if we had that, they would have accepted that. It was a very frustrating experience.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #12
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Uh oh.... it looks like I might be in trouble then. I did have it weighed after I purchased it... but, it was still hooked to the truck. We told the DMV that we had weight certificates with the truck by itself and then with the truck and trailer together. She said it had to be the trailers weight by it self on its own ticket.
I hope I don’t have to drag the trailer back down to the scales and weigh it by its self. I already have my heat trace on my potable water line with a nice fancy little gadget my wife built to cover the hole in the bottom of the trailer.
GOOD GRIEF,
Now it will be weighed with EVERYTHING in it meaning heavier trailer… meaning more money.

It’s funny…. When I asked this question at Foleys about getting it titled in Texas… they said no problem, we do it all the time. If they did it all the time, you would have thought they would have known this and told me about it.
Guess NOT !
Old 11-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
I kinda hate to post this but........ Three years ago, we purchased a fiver from Missouri. No weigh on the title. Texas said go get a weight ticket. I took their advice, I went to the local feed and grain place, found the scale man and asked him for a weight ticket around 9000 lbs. He found thousands of em, handed me one and charged me one dollar. I took the local feed and grain weight ticket to the dmv, paid their taxes and left with a title, regs and plates. you do as you see fit.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Keystone or your dealer should be able to give you certified weight information. Keystone builds a bunch of your model. You supply your serial number and I would just bet you they can tell you the weight of your rig going out the door. A phone call and a FAX ought to handle it. That might not work because it might be too simple.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:41 AM   #15
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FulltimeFollies

I kinda hate to post this but........ Three years ago, we purchased a fiver from Missouri. No weigh on the title. Texas said go get a weight ticket. I took their advice, I went to the local feed and grain place, found the scale man and asked him for a weight ticket around 9000 lbs. He found thousands of em, handed me one and charged me one dollar. I took the local feed and grain weight ticket to the dmv, paid their taxes and left with a title, regs and plates. you do as you see fit.
Funny you told me that... My friend told me if I had to take my trailer down and weigh it, leave it hooked to the truck and pull the truck all the way through the scales and just weigh the trailer axles. It would be about 2000 pounds lighter

I like your idea better though