Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Driving with the furnace on

I just know this has been discussed before but I'm having no luck with the search. We are planning on leaving ND next week. The camper is winterized so we are going to be staying in motels for the first two nights until we reach some warmer temps. I thought some of you put some water in and drive with the furnace on....? Do you feel this is risky? I think the high today was around 30. Not sure what it drops to during the night.

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Some drive with the furnace on. I like to be a little more on the safe side. I don't even have the refrigerator on if I'm driving 5 hours or less. It stays around 42 °F. I believe you run a risk if in the event of any kind of accident of puncturing a propane line. We always like to think that we won't be involved in any kind of accident but we just read of one where a car came out of a side street and plowed right into a fifth wheel.

Just know that if you do run with the furnace on, there is a risk. You'd have to turn it off when refueling.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We are all involved in risk management whether we know it. It is always safer to have everything off. When extenuating circumstances arise, then we have to measure the risks involved and make a decision. If my food will spoil, I will probably run the refig. If their is a definate threat of freeze up, I might decide to run the heater. I don't want to make a habit of either.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If it's cold, I always run it while underway, refrigerator also.
When I fuel up, the Montana is so far back from the gas pumps, I feel there is no danger of fire.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Wife and I are leaving for Texas January 1.from Michigan. We have to put things in that may freeze up and burst.I am going to run my furnace until we get to warmer weather. We will have to motel stop and you never know about the weather. We have had bad weather all fall so I am hoping for a nice time when we leave. Have a safe trip from ND. to ?.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I usually run the fridge a day before we leave. Its always in the summer or warmer months when we go on long trips (3-7hrs.) I shut the fridge down before we leave and do not open it, the ice is still frozen when we get to our destination. This summer from Windsor(across from Detroit) to Kingston Ontario everything stayed cold and frozen. As for the furnace I have never tried it while traveling, as it doesn`t take long to warm up. As soon as you get to your first stop on your trip turn it on while you set up. It will be warm by the time you are done. If you stay in a motel the first few stops put it on for an hour or so to take the moisture out. Have a safe trip, I`m done for the season until April 7th when we go to Topsail State Preserve in Destin fla.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

When I fuel up, the Montana is so far back from the gas pumps, I feel there is no danger of fire.
Ozz,
What about fumes? If you pull up to the furthest pump in most stations, there is always another pump behind you, right near the refrigerator vent and/or furnace exhaust. I'd rather be on the safe side and turn off all propane appliances before refueling. Reason: I've seen one pop off about 11 years ago when a family of four pulled in with refrigerator on and a fire started in just the area I described.

Orv
Old 11-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #8
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I never run the furnace, but I always run the fridge. I turn on one tank while on the road. You only need water when you dock for the night, you can fill your water tank just before stopping and dump the next morning. Most flying J's have dump stattion and some rest areas.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Orv, so far I haven't been close to the pumps with my furnace or hot water heater.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:06 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al and I have almost always run with the frig on, but will not be doing so now till we figure out that recall business.

We had never run with the furnace on, but have started doing so when we leave here in late Dec, as I am toting house plants in the greenhouse (shower) and believe me, if it is 4 below here, it is cold in Tana and my plants would not survive those temps.

We left here 2 years ago, and it was 4 or 4 below (at that point, who cares?? ). We got to our first stop near Effingham Illinois and it was still 17 above, and the tv antenna was frozen to the roof! OUCH! Thankfully the campground had cable tv available so we could check out the weather channel.

We do not stay in motels, cause of the dogs, etc. We semi-rough it, but must have electric. We leave with NO water, we have an older unit, and we are not gonna chance any trouble with water in the lines, specially with the temps we have dealt with the last 3 years when we leave southern Michigan. First we don't want to fuss with hoses and trying to wind them back up and all that rot when we have 4 and wind chills a lot below 0. We just ain't that tough any more. We can do without water for a few days, we take a few gallons for flushing and lots of baby wipes, and pre-prepared foods, eat off paper plates, lunch at a truck stop or someplace where we FILL up. Sorta, the, where there is a way, there is a will??

Would love to leave bout mid October, but our responsibilites here forgo that possibility.

Turning off the propane before you enter a gas station, is the preferred action.

Frig on has never been a problem, although we have run for 8 hours with it off and had NO thawing (80 to 90 degree days in the summer). Besides, if we are talking running in the cold weather months, you could probably run 12 hours and have no thawing.

Furnace on, yes, we do that now, till we get to at least Arkansas.

If you can leave the northern climes with nothing in that rig that will freeze, then you don't need the heat, but I have to say that when it is 0 outside it takes quite a while to warm up, at least that has been our experience. When it is that cold we open the cupboard doors too, man, the cold air just falls out of there!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #11
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Quote:
quote:If it's cold, I always run it while underway, refrigerator also.
Ditto this...I have never been in a station yet where the Mounty was close to the pumps. Gas fumes are heavier than air and will stay at ground level in calm air....the fridge and furnace are several feet above the ground so the circumstances would have to be perfect for fumes to become a problem.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:12 AM   #12
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Old Turbo, We will end up in the RGV by January. Until then we don't have any plans. We thought it might be fun to go to Branson. We thought we'd just head south. I think we could probably get into warmer temps sooner by going west---even Billings is usually much milder but then we would have mountains--too unpredictable for snow and ice. Thanks, everyone, we are totally new to this and I must say my stomach is doing a few flip flops! If you stop at a Flying J do they have electric? Do you put slides out? What about the fumes from all the truckers? Carol, I think I could do the same thing.....just rough it with some water taken along for a couple of nights. We are probably being too carefree leaving with NO PLANS...ha ha! Marilyn

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:01 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Marilyn,

No power at Flying J's or Walley Worlds that I know of.

We used to Boondock, had the big generator, etc. We don't choose to go there at this point in our lives. For us, and this is one of those personal choice things, we just don't want to give up any storage room in Tana for a generator, don't want one or have room for one in the bed of the truck, and really just don't want to be bothered. We are usually tired at the end of the day, I can do without the water for a few days, but I gotta have the power. I want to run the furnace hard, the microwave, make my coffee, run the computer, the tv, the lights, and not have to fuss with anything more than hooking up the power cord to the campground pole.

Marilyn, other than a strong suggestion to NOT run through storms, ice/freezing rain/snow, you can relax, this is really no different than running in May, or July, or ??? Would think that taking the route with less mountains or serious hills would be prudent at this time of the year. Run south, as much as possible, I would think if you can get into Iowa you should be able to get water onboard at this time of the year and not worry. Not sure bout Nebraska weather this time of the year, but Iowa and Kansas are much like ours, and even tho it has been very wet here this year, and yes, we have had a few freezes, it is plenty warm here right now, and if we were leaving right now, I would have Al put some water in the fresh water tank and off we would go. It is 35 here right now, man, after leaving at temps of 4 below, that is a regular heat wave, and no different than fall camping around here, which we do with fresh water tank full and furnace a running!

As far as staying at Flying J's, we don't do it, but have chatted with a lot of people that do, some put out slides, some don't, some put out a slide if they can get to the side of the parking lot and put it out over grass. I hear mixed reports about the sound and the fumes. Think it goes back to the personal preference items!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we stop at Flying J or Wal-Mart, we don't put our slides out and we try to stay connected. We just don't believe it is smart to give the impression that we are "camping." We try to consider that they are really doing us a favor by allowing us to stop overnight. We also run around with a trash bag in the morning before we leave and pick up any trash we might find in and around where we park (and others).

Orv
Old 11-12-2006, 07:23 AM   #15
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Ozz,
What about fumes? If you pull up to the furthest pump in most stations, there is always another pump behind you, right near the refrigerator vent and/or furnace exhaust. I'd rather be on the safe side and turn off all propane appliances before refueling. Reason: I've seen one pop off about 11 years ago when a family of four pulled in with refrigerator on and a fire started in just the area I described.

Orv
Same here.

Diesel fuel is much less likely to cause a fire than gas.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I know there is less likely to be danger from the diesel fuel but how do you explain the possibility of fumes from the guy on the other side of the island near the middle of your rig pumping gasoline into his car/pickup? I think everyone knows that you can't light liquid gas but the fumes given off is what lights. Boy, I'll still play it safe.

Orv
Old 11-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #17
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find most truck stops with Diesel are separated from the ordinary gas up folks. Most pumps are one set side by side in line. Flying J, Pilot, etc. all have seperate rv fuel up areas. I never go into a regular fuel stops because of all the congestion, low overhangs and no room to turn because of car traffic. This is more of a town problem.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have the perfect solution. We almost never fill up while hooked up. One of the big reasons we only drive 200-300 miles per day and why we got the long bed - larger fuel tank. Our usual scenario is to get to the CG, set up, go fill up the TV and find a place for dinner. If we eat in, Ed usually goes and fills up in the morning and then comes back, backs in and hooks up. This saves worring about trying to find a station that fits us, (high overhang, room to get in and out). JMHO
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote