Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Montana_6339

M.O.C. #6339
Bench Seat vrs Free standing dinette?

My wife and I have another brand of 5th wheel, and are planning on upgrading to a Montana. We want to know opinions regarding the bench seat in the kitchen vrs the free standing dinette. We have the bench seat in our current 5th wheel, and are considering the table and chairs combination, for our new trailer. Our current favourite floor plans are the 3295RK or the 3650RK.
I am very happy I have joined this owners club web site, with the amount of information available here!

Montana_6339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I live in my Montana fulltime and I would only have the free standing dinette. The table and chairs makes it feel like a real home and not an RV. I love my condo on wheels. Of course the choice is entirely up to you, but it seems like most new Montanas have the table and chairs. Good luck with your upgrade. You'll love it.
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
My last 2 Rv's have had booth type dinettes. My current Mountaineer has free standing. You loose some storage and sleeping facilities by getting the free standing, but it sure is a whole lot more comfortable. I actually eat at the table with the free standing dinette.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I have the free standing dinette in a 2005 2980 RL and prefer it. Gives us room to store things around the chairs and table when on the move. Chairs seats have storeage in them.
Am considering eliminating 2 chairs for more space at the table.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rob
We have had both. I agree with the idea the table and chairs make it seem a lot more like a home. Plus you can move them around, bring chairs out to the LR for company, and the new chairs have storage in them. This is a big plus over the older chairs. The bench does offer a space for a child to sleep but unless you need that extra sleeping room you might want to think about the table and chairs. Also it is easier to sit in them for people who have arthritis or bad backs.
Welcome to the MOC and I hope you enjoy your Montana as much as we do.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
Montana_6339

M.O.C. #6339
This web site has so much useful information...we did not know the chairs have storage in them, and we like the idea it is more "homey" with the free standing dinette
Thanks everyone,
Rob
Montana_6339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
The free standing table & chairs work for us. As most of us, I'm a little larger then I use to be and the built in units are too tight to be comfortable. You do loose the storage under the benches but the comfort makes up for it.
We also took 2 chairs out and turn the table when traveling. Easy to get to the back now. And much prefer to eat at a proper table with chairs.

J of J&D (just covering my butt on this post).
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I don't know that I have even seen a Montana with the bench...my dealer orders all with the table and chairs. The bench looks like a "camper."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rob
There have been some great ideas on what to put in the chair storage here on the MOC also. One member, Doug Henry, cut foam to fit in the chairs and carries bottles of wine there. We use them for hobby stuff mostly. The one at the desk has computer supplies and extra cords, phone charger, etc. At the table one has playing cards, domino game, Mexican Train trains, etc. Another has my jewerly making supplies. Another two houses our cars and engines for our N scale train and various tools we use on the train. Other members use them for paper good storage. I'm sure there are a lot of other uses being utilized as well.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

I don't know that I have even seen a Montana with the bench...my dealer orders all with the table and chairs. The bench looks like a "camper."
Like Bert I have never seen a Monty with anything other than the table and 4 chairs.
My vote is for the table and chairs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We had the bench in our 2002 2850 and before that in our mh and before that in our tt. We opted for the free standing table and chairs in our 2006 2980 and really like it for the all of the above cited reasons. Would never go back to the bench.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Our Mountaineer came with a bench dinette. One of our upgrades was to remove the bench dinette and replace it with a freestanding. I picked up a table that had been removed from a Holiday Rambler. It is perfect for two and expands to seat five. We love it and wouldn't go back.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Here's a picture of a Monty with a Bench Dinette, for those who have not seen one.
I think it's a 2955
J&D

JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Our last one had a bench. Our current 3650RK has table and chairs. It seems so much more "home like" with the free standing dinette.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We had a bench set in our last 5er. Thought we would miss the storage, but really like the more formal table and chairs. I had the dealer raise the table by 2", since I am a big guy. They just put 2 inches of plywood on top of center post for table, and it works perfect for me. I also like the fact that the tabletop slides from one side to the other to allow for more room to get seated. Like the storage under chair seats for miscellaneous items. My dealer said they never get dinette booth, which worked out great for us in our new 3000RK. You can't go wrong with the Montana, especially all the great people on this forum, who have given me more help than I could have imagined. Thanks all. Good luck on the new Montana.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #16
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
My prior unit and this one has a free standing table/chairs...and I really like it. Very versatile and the table slides back and forth and expands on the side...works great for larger adults or little children or for folks like me (lazy) that don't want to move the chair away from the table when you get up. and the storage in the chairs keeps the table neat and clear of magazines etc..works great!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #17
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Wow, everyone so far seems to like the free standing better, so I guess we're the odd ones.
We had the free standing chairs and table in ours when new. We really missed the additional storage so, we had our Dealer order the Booth and take back the table and Chairs in trade. No regrets.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The booth was one of our minimum requirements - but we couldn't find a Montana in stock that had one. After seeing that the table and chairs was the popular option, we decided that might be the best way to go for resale, and we sure didn't want that to be the only thing that put us into a special order situation. We haven't regretted our table and chairs, and enjoy the option of moving the chairs around if we want to for guests.

Except - ours don't have the storage in the chairs like the new ones .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #19
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
We too have had both set ups - bench and free standing. When we had the bench we liked the storage and usually had no problem getting in & out. We now have the free standing and do like the sliding table top, ease of moving chairs around where you need them, etc.

BUT - we really don't know yet which set up we prefer because we've encountered a problem with the free standing table & chairs that so far has not been mentioned on this thread but is is quite bothersome to us, and to our guests. Whenever someone goes to sit in the chair on either side of the table next to the window, it is quite awkward to try to get your feet up over the table leg support and in front of your chair without a lot of contortions. When you raise your foot up to clear the support on the floor, your knee hits the table top before the foot clears, and the struggle begins.

We have both experienced this, as well as dinner and table game guests, and we've begun to wonder if we made a mistake ordering this design. Has no one else a problem with this or do none of you ever have sitdown guests? (: I hate the thought of modifying the table as it seems to be the perfect height for us. Does anyone else experience this same situation?
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:14 AM   #20
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks for posting that pic, J H Sechelt. I didn't even know you could get a booth in a Monty. It really looks pretty nice, but I think I still like the free-standing dinette better. We have also been considering taking 2 of the chairs out to get more room. The only drawback to that for me is I hate to lose the storage space under those 2 chair seats. It's so handy.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote