Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
PDI Fees

Few weeks back post was done on charging for PDI which I found hard to believe, until I lived it for myself. We have Friends down from Maryland that were looking to get a new Monty. After looking at get the best price and seeing if that is what they really wanted we went looking at about 6 other places this weekend. They did fine a unit that was good bit less than the Monty they liked, when he went to try and make deal it was like going into car lot. Lets go back to see the manager and wheel and deal type scene. They told him the price plus $799.00 for PDI, I asked what did you just say 799 for PDI I told him they were crazy and let's leave if they wanted to charge for PDI then he did not want to buy from them, they also wanted freight and fuel charge as extras. I could not believe it.

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I think the freight and fuel charges have been around for a while, but you are right, this is only the second time we have heard of the PDI charge.

All this nonsense, makes me happy that we are not out buying right now, I would probably burn the ears off some of these salesmen with my remarks. GULP!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There are a number of dealers charging for their PDI and that's fine with me as it just gives me something else to haggle about. Buying any hi-priced item is all about haggling over the "bottom line". One of the first items to be haggled off will be his PDI as I plan on doing my own anyway. Their "bottom line" is rarely ever the same as mine. Let the dealer know up front that he better sharpen an entire box of #2s and have a brand new tablet as he will need it. AND don't be afraid of walking out.

Years ago I was getting the "bottom line" on a new 92 Ford Explorer. I told all the dealers I was just out getting prices and whoever had the best "bottom line" I would be back the next day to finish the deal. As I was leaving one show room the salesman said he knew he had the best price and we shouldn't wait until tomorrow. I told him I had one more dealer to see. At that point he said, "Now you know of course if we are 300 or 400 dollars high give me a call" I pulled out his "bottom line" and deducted another 400 bucks. He than asked, "What did you do that for?" Needless to say he didn't sell me my new Explorer.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Anything goes when wheeling and dealing.We just have to keep in mind that when buying a camper you, the consumer are in charge.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I agree with Rich and Glenn. When I go looking for quotes on a 3400 next spring, I intend to focus on the bottom line, out the door price dealers are charging, which will include any fee for a PDI. If someone wants to include a sizeable PDI fee in their initial quote, but ultimately come up with a competitive bottom line, their claimed PDI fee will make it easier for me to insist that they do a thorough PDI before I do my own thorough PDI.

By the way Broome101, was the dealer who wanted to charge that PDI fee the Montana dealer in North Carolina that you suggested I check out when I go shopping next spring?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I would have paid the $799 PDI charge.Just as long as they took off $799 on the price of the trailer.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4-auto-48re
2001(bought new in March of 2004) montana 3280RL triple slide
Prodigy brake controller
color back up camera(from rvcams.com)
reese 16K slider
tire pressure monitoring system
line-x spray in bed liner
roll&lock bed cover
Yamaha generator with boost control
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Think about this.You don't need anyone from the dealership to do a PDI.Here is how I did it.There are two or three good PDI forms over in Glenn's topic area.We listed issues that we learned about on this forum such as , Loose screws on cabinet hinges, Leaky shower drain, noisy fan, speakers not working, etc, I had a list of over 30 items to look for in addition to the PDI forms. We went to the dealership, they opened the camper up, powered it up and left me alone with it all day. I went over it with a fine tooth comb.. Listed all problems I noted, gave the list to the dealer and made a appointment to come back in a few days. We returned in a few days checked the Items repaired list with the PDI guy..we were satisfied..the PDI guy did his thing, How to work the awning, were everything was, Etc, we were happy, signed the papers, paid the man hooked up the 3400 and went home. It left the lot trouble free. I did the Pre and PDI..The dealer corrected problems, then we signed the check. You can tell your dealer that you will do the PDI and he can credit you 799.00. Who would you trust more to do the PDI..you or the dealer/Rep. Our dealer is over 60 miles away, not around the corner..I took the time and the effort..it was worth it..just something to consider...

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Here is my bottom line. If any dealer wants to charge for a PDI, then I will tell him what a fool he is and that he has lost my business and immediately leave. Now, if he is willing to totally deduct it and then start the haggling, I may return. There are too many dealers that are eagar to make deals. I am the customer and I have no problem driving to get the best deal. I was a car salesman in another life, and understand the game pretty good.

Native Tex

O.V. & Kathy Bonner
Miss Ko-Ko (Chocolate Lab)
Huntsville, Al
'05, 3400RL
'05 F250 Ford King Ranch, CC, FX4/4x4, 6.0L PSD

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/AL/Huntsville.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Huntsville, Alabama Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

"Freedom Isn't Free....Support Our Troops

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
You have to beware, some dealers will include their PDI cost within the contract and you will never know it. As NATIVE TEXAN said it's a pretty good game!!
Safe Travels John H

2005 Dodge 3500 4x2 Dually Cummins Diesel, Line X /2005 Montana/""MOC TRAVEL ASSISTANCE VOLUNTEER"" ""TOPEKA, KANSAS AREA"" 3650RK
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If a shop is charging for a PDI, I would start looking for another dealership. I have never been charged for a PDI on any of my Montana's or any of the sports cars or trucks I have bought over the years.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:16 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lets look at this PDI charge realistically. From the time that camper leaves the holding lot at the factory it starts to cost the dealer money. First the transportation charge. A year ago FEMA was paying 1.00 to 1.10 per mile to transport campers. I am sure it has increased since then and commercial carriers are allowed to pass on fuel charges to the consumer in this case the dealer.When it hits the dealers lot dealer employees become involved some dealers access a flat rate per camper..say 4 or 500.00 dollars per Montana. That includes all dealer cost associated with that camper.Employees pulling it around, cleaning, prepping, paper work, Insurance all administrative cost. If a employee does the PDI with you that employee's salary for that time..all of this will be included in the dealers cost and one way or the other we will pay for it. Just as a example assume there is a 40% mark up on the unit..the consumer makes a deal for 30% off MSVRP.. all the above mentioned cost should be included in the dealers 10% profit and that includes the salesman commission. I am looking at my sales slip for my 3400 Montana. The only additional charge is a 30.00 document fee, 5.00 title fee and a 10.50 temp tag fee and of course State taxes. No shipping fee, no PDI fee, no fuel charge, no prep charge . I received 31.2% off the MSVRP price of the 3400 and you can be assured that all of the dealers overhead cost associated with the 3400 were covered in the dealers profit margin and the dealer made a fair profit. The consumer deals for the best price the dealer insures that all the overhead cost are covered and they make a fair profit..Remember ..just as you work hard to get the absolute lowest price you can get for that camper..the dealer works hard to get the absolute highest price he can get for that camper.. That's the way it works...The bottom line is that the price you pay for the camper is entirely up to you.

Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 09-04-2006, 03:26 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I drivr part time for a tt transport company out of Indiana. I get paid $0.94 a loaded mile,notice thats loaded mile,its out of my pocket to get back to home base, to transport your Montana to the dealer. Some full timers get paid up to $1.15 to tow. I do not want a full time job. I do it so my wife and I get a paid trip to see the our kids and grand kids. The transport pay has been stuck in this mode for a long time even with diesel on the average $3.05. If you figure wear and tear on the truck , oil changes and some put away money , I am in the hole by the time I get back home, no put away money. The transport driver also has to pay a lot stageing guy $20.00 to bring the trailer over from the manufacture to the transport lot. I also have %10 taken out for insurance until I reach $1.000. The company pays the tolls on the way to the dealer,but I have to pay them on the way back. I have to do a cdl log which means I can only drive so many hours until I have to get off the road. The rules say I cannot sleep in the pickup truck or the tt. I need a motel more ecpense. I need a little food, more expense. I just wanted to clear some things up on the cost of getting your tt out to your dealer.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:30 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I realized that they can't sleep in the rig they are towing but I've seen many a transporter sleeping in his TV. I don't know how they can stipulate that you cannot sleep in your own vehicle unless they were also picking up the accommdations charges.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Old 09-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
No it was not Terrell Camping Center the Monty dealer in Sherrills Ford, NC. They got fair deal on the Mountaineer 342 PHT they wanted out the door with hitch installed for 35K, with all the options they wanted. But we went looking at all the dealers around here, three full days of camper shopping, it was at Holiday Camper in Statesville NC they wanted to charge for PDI,Fuel and freight on the deal. If they need to get that money do just like Rich said build it into the total price of the unit. This stunt is just like a car dealer tries to pull which mainly just adds profit to his bottom line. they are getting the Monty Mountaineer, they could not get this one on the lot it was sold so they are ordering them one.

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #15
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I think I need to clear up a point that I was making on this PDI issue. I want a dealer to make a fair profit, but the operative word here is 'fair'. I am sure RV dealers are just like car dealers in that they can pull a couple of difference invoices to show you depending upon the percent of mark up or profit they want to make. A lot depends upo the size of the dealer, how many units he buys, his line of credit and its cost, plus his transportation cost, overhead costs, etc., down to the cost of his shop towels. I understand and agree that there are all types of costs, but they are all call the 'cost of doing business' and should be spread across the entire operations and not pass on to one customer. I always negotiate from that stand point and feel that I have gotten many a good deal on cars, boats, four-wheelers, RVs and even houses. I have been in business and expected the same from my customers, but I was willing to make less profit in order to make a sale......volume is always the key. That is why it is called free enterprise. "Caveat Emptor", let the buyer beware!

Native Tex

O.V. & Kathy Bonner
Miss Ko-Ko (Chocolate Lab)
Huntsville, Al
'05, 3400RL
'05 F250 Ford King Ranch, CC, FX4/4x4, 6.0L PSD

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig/language/www/US/AL/Huntsville.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Huntsville, Alabama Forecast" height=40 width=467[/img]

"Freedom Isn't Free....Support Our Troops

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:39 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It doesn't much matter if the dealer openly charges a PDI fee or hides it in the total price. In the end it all comes down to the "BOTTOM LINE". How the dealer lists his costs over and above the actual cost of the rig is his way of doing business. If he includes them or lists them separated does not matter to you or me. What matters to all of us is the BOTTOM LINE". The price we are willing to pay and the dealer is willing to accept, after all the negotiations, the haggling, the screaming and the shouting, is all that really matters.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Old 09-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn's right, if a dealer wanted to charge $41,500 for a PDI, but the final bottom line price was $42,500... It's still a good deal. Or you can still walk.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #18
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Since the dealers know PDI charges irritate the devil out of us, if they were smart, and want to charge for them, they'd bury them in the price somewhere else.

Bert and Betty
Fort Smith, AR
2007 Silverado Classic 3500, DRW, D/A, CC
2007 Montana 3400RL
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

Since the dealers know PDI charges irritate the devil out of us, if they were smart, and want to charge for them, they'd bury them in the price somewhere else.
The key words there were "if they were smart". Need I say more??
Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #20
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
The only thing you get paid is loaded miles, and tolls.Where you sleep and eat is all out of your pocket. The part of not being able to sleep in a pickup has to do with Federal Regulations . If the local diesel demon wants to have some fun by wakeing you up to tell you you are in violation and then give you a good inspection. If they find a violation you will be in the money hole big time. The pickup is not legal because it has no berthing area. I am real tall, I slept in the pickup when I hauled FEMA trailers, all regulation were waived,
it is not very comfortable. As for the PDI sheet it should have the transport company name and be signed by the transporter.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote