Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2006, 02:49 AM   #41
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

Glenn,

How did you partition off your batteries and slide motor?
I didn't partition them. I moved the slide motor back and closer to the side wall. I also turned and repositioned the battery closer to the side wall and front enough so I can get the cover off for checking the battery.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #42
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Don, nice job on both. I'm going to do at least the under bed storage.

For those who are familiar with the bedframe, is it possible to cut out a portion of the foot end of the bed frame and hinge it to provide access to that bottom storage without raising the bed and anything stored on the plywood? Or would that compromise the strength? Ours is buried under space bags at the moment and we don't yet have the new one to see how it is built. Thanks.
Steve I was thinking the same thing.
Unlike a box spring that is supported from the side rails a mattress by itself would also need some center support. With my weight I think I will be placing an additional brace, much like a bed slat, across where the lid is hinged supporting both the remaining plywood as well as the lid.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:13 AM   #43
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I was looking at it and in my unit the mattress hangs over the bed frame enough that a door would not allow real easy access to the substantial space available beside that hydraulic cylinder.
If you had a platic container to pull out of the drawer, that might work.

As far as lifting the bed up to get at the trap door, the space under the mattress on my unit is just under 4" high so all we had in there was some bedding that will fold easily when I lift the trap door. It is easier to store bedding in there since I relocated the security box.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #44
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay now that we are really in to finding unused space I have a question. I asked this several months ago but that was before Ozz came on the scene. Have you checked out the dead space above the built in vac? I think it could be utilized.
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 AM   #45
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My vacuum is on the side of the kitchen cupboard and the space behind it is accessable by a door .
I did buy a little wire shelf from Costco that fits in there real well. It has 2 removable baskets and this is a fairly new Costco product. If anybody wants a pic of this , let me know.

I also have found some unused space that I access by secret panels.
I loved stories about houses with secret passages when I was a kid.

One word of caution, if you ever go across the border between the US and Canada and they do search you by random, to CYA, make sure you tell them right off about your "secret" compartments and that you have them for security and not smuggling purposes.

The reason being, that any vehicle that has been altered to aid in smuggling can be seized at the Custom Officer's discretion. It is highly unlikely this will happen unless you had something in your secret place that you shouldn't have, but why take a chance.

Also, be careful what you say in the vehicle while waiting to cross the border. They listen to you while you are in line. You can ask me how I know.I am not telling. LOL take care.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL
Old 08-24-2006, 06:58 AM   #46
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Speaking of Vacuum's, we removed the front of the bottom riser on the stairway leading to the bedroom. One of the rubbermaid containers now holds all of the vacuum accessories and the long hose just curls up inside. We reclosed the riser with a magnetic latch. We just slide the container out when we want to use it.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #47
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Sue,
What a great thread. We're not fultiming so I carry as little as possible. Only what's needed. But these ideas are great. I found the space under the couch but it's very narrow and hard to get to.
The seat of the couch has to be lifted up. In my travel trailer, the
front panel of the couch pulled down, and there was a lot of room in'
there for extra blankets and pillows.

The bottom of the pantry closet was sort of wasted space so the man before us took a stainless steel trash can with flip-up top and mounted it inside the cupboard door. It's nice to have it out of the way. I never thought of carrying anything in it but you could.

We also have a desk under the TV in our 2000 model, and room for records and such in there. I carry my laptop in there. I don't know about you folks, but in Fla last winter I was going crazy trying to keep receipts and such without my file cabinet at home. Finally went out and bought a file box, hangers and folders and started a file box away from home. That's fits nicely under the table.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #48
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Sue, you are really a detective finding these nooks and cranies in the Montana! Reminds me of the Nancy Drew books I used to enjoy as a kid! And then the very next post by Wrenchtraveler about secret panels and secret passages!!! I need to run out to the Montana and crawl around and REALLY look---LOL!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #49
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hehe...it made me start digging too.
I looked inside a cabinet and found an unused space big enough for two good sized drawers. It would make a great addition for cards, cribbage boards, etc.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to get inside there...

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #50
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Oops--that should read crannies. I need to find out how to edit. Marilyn
Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #51
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mfoss

Oops--that should read crannies. I need to find out how to edit. Marilyn
When you look at your finished post. In the top line that begins with Posted - Followed by the Date and Time you will see a pencil and pad. It's to the [s]right[/s] left of PM. Click on the pencil and the Edit page will open. Now you will be able to edit your post. When finished click on Post Changes

ON Edit, I forgot my left from my right.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #52
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Sue,
We're not newcomers by any stretch of the imagination but you've given us some good ideas

"No matter where you go there you are"

Charlie & Nila
Fulltiming,formerly Hadley,MI
"presently in Hadley "
"2004" 3575RL
"2001" 2500HD, 8.1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #53
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Well, how easy is that (editing)? Thanks Glenn/Lorraine! "They" say you should try to learn one new thing each day and I just did! Marilyn
Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #54
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Okay Ozz, where?????
Happy trails....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 09-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #55
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Okay now that we are really in to finding unused space I have a question. I asked this several months ago but that was before Ozz came on the scene. Have you checked out the dead space above the built in vac? I think it could be utilized.
Happy trails...................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Sue, Ozz and his lovely bride, Sue, are coming over tomorrow to help us put an electrical outlet above the vac. I pulled the cover on the kitchen side and you're right that there is dead space there.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #56
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
That is a good idea. I want to make a storage area out of it so have Ozz look at it with that in mind. Thanks. Please post pictures.
Happy trails......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #57
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
These are great ideas. But I have to be careful using every knook and crannie or I would be way overloaded. We haven't even filled up the available space yet. But then we aren't full timing YET. We will have to keep this topic around for awhile.

2006.5 Montana 3400RL
(Ma Bella 2 'cuz Mary is Ma Bella 1)
http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Va...ick=miniStates

2002 Silverado 2500 LT CC SB 4x4 DMax/Allyson Prodigy Controller
Reese Signature Hitch

Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #58
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I took the under bed idea from this forum and added another twist. First, I removed the plywood as others have done. We put some items in that area. I then cut the plywood in half and added a handle to each half. Now the plywood easily lifts out, much easier than moving the whole sheet and getting it out from under the pistons. So we have effectively doubled the storage under the bed, with storage under the plywood plus the original storage above the plywood.

I also noticed the bed frame is a frame of 1x2's with a veneer paneling. It would be a simple matter to cut that veneer and add access doors from the bed frame to get to the items along the edges.

Here's a couple of pictures..

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #59
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Steve,

Did you order the Brinks safe with your 3400? I don't see it in the picture unless it is the black box in the second picture.

We had alot more room in our New Vision under the bed. We haven't taken the plywood up because of the safe. It would be nice to store things that you don't use all of the time under the bed.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #60
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I took the safe out from under the bed and put it behind a secret panel somewhere in the trailer.
Like I said before, I loved books about old houses with secret passages when I was a kid.

All Montanas come with the little safe. The place under the bed is probably the first place a thief would look and a pry bar would pop that thing off that plywood in about 5 seconds. I think a screwdriver would open it as well. The strongest thing about that little box is the Brinks name. Jayco Designer at least hides their safe, a much better idea.

Also when we use our under bed storage, we have to remember that things inside the frame are not affected by the rolling bed frame as the slide closes and opens, but items outside the frame could hang up and damage the bed so this is something we all have to be aware of if we use this storage. Another item on the check list. I intend to only use the storage area between the frame.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2006 Montana 2955RL