Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2006, 04:00 AM   #21
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
You have the support, thoughts and prayers of your MOC friends. We pray that you continue to have the strength, courage an faith to sustain you through this difficult period. God Bless.

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #22
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Kathi
I hope you don't think I didn't care or had forgotten. I've been off for a few days having my own little medical thing. Paul and you are in my prayers. My recovery won't be as hard or as long but I know about the therapy that it takes to recover from a stroke. Keep us posted.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:28 AM   #23
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Dear Kathi and Paul,
I know this situation is and will be hard.
Please know that my prayers are for God to be gracious to you.

My dad had a stroke a couple of years ago. Left side. After a few months of therapy he was back on the ranch taking care of the cows. He told his doctor that sometimes when he stopped his motorcycle his left leg didn't work fast enough and he fell over. Doctor said "I would feel much better if you were not on that motorcycle." Dad went that day and traded for a four-wheeler. Still rides it to check on the cows.

Keep on working and hope you are able to get back on the road and enjoy the camping and campers.
Danny
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #24
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Kathi and Paul, in our thoughts for a speedy recovery.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #25
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Kathi and Paul,

I, too, had a stroke, but was able to fully recover - so our thoughts of a full and speedy recovery are with you.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #26
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Well they just moved Paul down to the full time rehab center. He is now in room 183. Hopefully here he can start to progress more rapidly. Up on the other floor they were just concerned with completing all the necessary tests. So now we are getting down to business. I remember when I was in rehab it was like going back to school 8 hours a day. So I had to explain to him that I wouldn't be coming in all day like I have been. I told him that I would come in the evenings and we could visit then. I am assuming that he will be really tired, I know I was. The really put you through the paces and they have no mercy. That is the best way. Again, thanks to all of you for your well wishes. I print them out every day and take them to him and I read each and every one. He is really impressed. I guess he didn't think he was that important. More later.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Kathi, I hope that the rehab goes well. I know it will not be easy, but as you said, it is the business at hand and important. Please know that both of you will remain in my prayers.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #28
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We hope for a speedy recovery! Our prayers are with you.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #29
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Glad to see that Paul is doing better. As a former Rehab nurse I can tell you that attitude not only the patient's, but the family is a big factor in how well recovery is. Tell Paul not to give up and that therapy will not be easy, but he will reap great rewards from it. Look at it as a new job and that you want to do the best you can at your new job. Our prayers are for a complete recovery.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #30
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Yesterday, Paul's therapist tried to get Paul to play a game of Solitaire, he wasn't very interested but he played. To show the change in before and after the stroke, Paul was very very good at cards before the stroke. Yesterday he couldn't even remember what the suits were. As the game went on he started to do a little better but still a really slow game. 1 hour to be exact. Today when I got there they were putting tape on his glasses so he would learn how to use his left side vision. So what did Paul do? He put his glasses down lower on his nose and was looking over them! He does manage to get around things. He still is the same old Paul. He is eating better and drinking more water, which he hates. I will go back this afternoon when he has another session with O/T & P/T. More later. Kathi
Old 02-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the report, Kathi. You both are in our thoughts and prayers often. Every little bit of progress is a blessing and we are thankful that he is eating better and drinking more water. Take care of yourself, too, during these trying days. They do seem to work miracles with therapy. We had a friend who agreed to have his unaffected arm restrained for up to a year to force him to use the side where his stroke affected him. Sounds like they're doing the same with Paul's vision....or at least they're trying to do that. Paul is still sharp enough to work around it which is encouraging in itself. I hope you feel the prayers and support of this forum.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #32
djdecock
Established Member

M.O.C. #3220
Paul and Kathie:
Our prayers are with both of you from the southern plains of Montana to the western mountains of Montana. Rehab exercises each day will encourage Paul to realize that each day is like another step toward complete recovery. Both of you take care and know the MOC forum is all pulling for you.

Joan and Dick DeCock
Forsyth, Montana

2005 3475RL Montana-3 slides
2005 350 Ford Diesel Dually 4x4 Extended Cab
djdecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #33
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Yesterday Paul's O/T lady took us to the Hockaday Art Gallery. He did real well, better then I did. They say that his stroke isn't as bad as mine were, but still they have some of the same affects on him. Today his O/T ask him to say the alphabet and for each letter say something that starts with that letter. He did well till he hit J and then he couldn't remember anything. He stopped and then just gazed off out the window. She ask him if he remembered the last word he had said and he did but he couldn't remember which letter came after that. They said that he may be able to come home for the day on Tuesday just to see if I will be able to handle him. I don't really think I can, but I am willing to give it a shot. All and all he is coming along slowly but he is moving forward. He has come along way since I brought him in on the 18th. He is really thin though. He has lost another 30 lbs. Now he weighs 150. Back in July of 2005 he had lost 40 lbs and I was worried about that. Now another 30 lbs. They say it is because he was having those TIA's and had stopped taking care of himself. He didn't realize he was having them, but he said he knew there was something wrong he just couldn't put his finger on it. We all knew there was something wrong but we didn't know what it was either. They say that when you have TIA's it is hard to know till the big one hits. If you realize you are having them and get to a DR. quick you have a lot better chance of changing things around. That was then, this is now! We are on the road to recovery now. Today he ate his whole meal, which means that he is feeling better.
Enough for now, will write later. Thanks again for all the prayers. Love Paul and Kathi
Old 03-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #34
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
It's a long, hard road to travel to full recovery, but you folks have made journeys before and you can do it again. I wish you both all the strength you need to get through this, and then some.
Best wishes.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #35
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I'm just wondering if you have thought of using a hyperbaric oxygen chamber as a treatment for Paul's stroke. They aren't readily available but I know there is one in Billings. They can be very helpful in restoring the body after a stroke. Most doctors wouldn't suggest this as they just don't know about using it as a treatment for stroke as the chambers are usually used for other conditions. Dr Julian Whitaker uses this in his practice and the results have been profound......some people have regained the ability to walk after being wheel-chair bound!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #36
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Kathi Do they have computers where he is Maybe some time on the MOC would make him better and also the typing might help. You are in our prayers
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #37
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
So good to hear about Paul's progress. Please remember you both are in the forums thought and prayers.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #38
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
There is a computer but they aren't online. I do print out all the well wishes and read them to him daily. Tonight I told him how incredibly lucky he is. I just talked to his cousins daughter and she told me that her mother had a stroke last year and is unable to do anything on her on. She can't even speak. So Paul knows he has a long haul but he will do it. I told him that our GOD gave him a second chance at a good life. He agreed. So little by little he will improve. Thank you MOC family. Paul thanks you to.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #39
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
So glad to hear Paul is making progress. Unlike a physical injury his damage is on the inside. But, that is where the Lord does his best work, insude us. God Bless you both. Our prayers are with you.

Gary and Linda
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #40
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU
I ate lunch with Paul today and he said he was tired, so I told him that I was going to go on home and pick up the house a little. When I got home I decided to email everyone to let them know the progress on him. I am sitting in my computer room, I am the only one in this house, when I hear HELLLOOOOO! Scared me to death, so I didn't say anything, I thought that I might be hearing things as it sounded like Paul. So I just sat there and waited. Again I hear HELLLOOOOOO! I jumped up and went to the bedroom door and he is standing in the hallway! I couldn't figure out how he could have gotten home so fast...Then his P/T lady who I couldn't see because she is about 4'11 was standing behind him holding him up...She had ask'd all the patients if they wanted to go out somewhere and Paul was the only one who wanted to go. (He just wanted to breakout of that joint). She ask him where he wanted to go and he said home, so she brought him home for about 20 minutes. WOW what a surprise. He said the house had changed so much. I told him that I had been working really hard to make it easier for him to get around when he got home. Plus I hung a lot of pictures and finished putting the livingroom together with the help of our friends Jim and Veronica. (They are such a great help). He was amazed at how much I had done. I told him that when I am stressed I bust a move...The dogs wouldn't leave him alone. Usually they won't bother him but I think they really missed him to. So now tomorrow he continues his therapy and with any luck he will be well enough to come home soon. He still can't see anything on his left side and he has trouble holding things with his left hand, but in time that will get better. Well that is about all I have to report today. Thanks for all the prayers, PRAYER DOES WORK. Paul is proof. Kathi