Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Generator -- Solar -Or both

Help!!!
As a new 5th wheeler (haven't even picked it up yet) I am in a quandry. We will be fulltiming in two years. We split our stays 50%/50% full services and none. I have to let the dealer know before Monday the 12th what options I want. Think we need a independent generator (back of the truck mounted) and I'm not sure if solar would be of use. Can any body help?? Thanks in advance!
mountainmole
97 Dodge / 06 340rl

mountainmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Welcome to the forum. That is a topic that I have been curious about in the past. The limited research I've done in the past revealed that I would spend a substantial amount on solar panels and not be close to the output of a generator. I think that panels would probably serve well to keep batteries charged. I usuually camp where there are hookups so I really haven't pursued it further. I'll be watching this thread to see the response from the more experienced members
Again, welcome to the club and I know you will love your 5th wheel.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Where's Dave Anderson when you need him. He has a great deal of experience with solar on his Montana. If he doesn't chime in here, you need to drop him an email. It will be worth the effort. Also a search of archives should yield a lot of info.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I have had a 75w solar chaarger since I bought it, I think it is is wonderful i never have a charge proplem.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Solar would be fine for limited power consumption, but if you will be fulltiming half your time dry camping, you'll probably want a generator.

If you do a search for generators, you should find many links to conversations about the different options.

I chose the Honda eu2000, and have been very happy. This will run all our ac & dc lights, as well as the microwave and heater fan. The eu2000 will run $850 to $950. If you don't need the microwave you can get by with the eu1000, or if you need to have air conditioning you will probably want the Yamaha 3000, or the larger Honda eu3000. The weight and cost goes way up with these last ones, though.

What's nice with ours is that it is very gas-stingy, and it is very portable (can use it for backup power to the house, or for a boat, etc).

Since you won't be fulltiming for a couple years, you should have plenty of time to have fun looking at all the pros and cons of all the generator options out there!!!
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Dave, I just came on !!!! Mole,Ifyou still have the option, have your rig WIRED for solar,8or 10 Ga. but if its too late no sweat. If you REALLY intend to boondock, you will definatly want solar in the furure. I,like you carry my genset in the back of my truck. Mine is a hondaEU3000,only way to go if you plan to use your AC . its a little heavy,but once in place,it's a sweetheart.solar is getting better and cheaper each year ,but is not cheap!! plan on at least $1500 bucks to get set up, that should get you a 100 watt panel and controler. also ,if you plan on boondocking, you really should consider more batteries you should probably want at least 440 amp hours and back thst up with a 40 amp.battery charger ,which you will run off your genset. I hope i'm not discouraging you , being totally independant is the greatest part of 5th wheeling!!! I hope GYPSY will jump in here,she has a great solar setup as well. I would'nt have a 5ver without solar!!!!! Hope to see you at Quartzsite,middle of the desert , and just the sun powering your rig!! Happy trails, DAVE
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:31 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mountainmole

Help!!!
As a new 5th wheeler (haven't even picked it up yet) I am in a quandry. We will be fulltiming in two years. We split our stays 50%/50% full services and none. I have to let the dealer know before Monday the 12th what options I want. Think we need a independent generator (back of the truck mounted) and I'm not sure if solar would be of use. Can any body help?? Thanks in advance!
mountainmole
97 Dodge / 06 340rl
Don't know if I can help or not, but here goes. Three years ago we had four 100 watt (44 cells each as opposed to normal 36) panels installed by John Palmer in Lake City, FL. Along with those panels we had a Pro-Sine 2.0 2000 watt inverter installed. We also purchased a Honda 2000i generator (weighs about 43 lbs) to use at times when we have a couple overcast days in a row.

This combination works well for us. We don't have use of air conditioning with this combo, but we do have Fantastic Fans on both ends of the Montana as well as a portable Endless Breeze fan (Fantastic Fan product). We just came from eight days in Jeffersonville, IN where the temps hovered around 85-90° every day. We did fine. Sure, there were times we wished we could have had about and hour of AC, but sitting outside under a tree isn't too bad either.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think you have to have a generator so large that you can run your AC, but if you do, get one that either mounts in the back of your truck or mounts somewhere near where the batteries are. However, I'm always leery of having anything putting out carbon monoxide right under my bed.

Be glad to give you more particulars if they're wanted.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the great post. I am planning on both installing a gen. and solor panels in the future.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #9
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
really appreciate the post so far in this thread, the personal experience you have related is most helpful ... we don't have any plans to use our camper (other than to overnight for a few hours) in non campground locations but it does serve as our emergency shelter when storms leave us without power ... we are having a new 5er built with a 5500 watt generator that runs off propane ... while it will most certainly be clean buring, it is my understanding that these generators can really burn a 30/40 lb propane tank in a hurry

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote