Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Fireplace??

Did a search and could not find a thread on the pros and cons of having a fireplace. The obvious pros~asthetic, extra heat. The obvious cons~uses more propane, one more thing to maintain. I have no experience yet, but will buy a Montana next year. Please comment to help me.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
dsprik, Fireplace is all electric and no propane, at least that is what is in our 5er. it is nice to have , it warms up those chilly mornings, but not a lot of heat.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry ~ it's too late at night for me. I should have known they were electric. Any other pros or cons? Worht the extra cost?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Our Montana didn`t come with a fire place-but I put one in.The pros are really looks cool,throws off some heat.The cons are well I can only thing of one and thats it takes up space which you could use for other things.We have a ton of cabinets in our rig so space wasn`t a problem with us.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I love the fireplace in the coach. There are two main reasons I enjoy it, one being the extra 5,000btu heater it has. It helps take that morning or evening chill out of the living room. Second is the beauty of it, sure is nice to have going on those rainy nights when the campfire is not down at the lake. Just seems to add peace into the air. =) As far as if it is worth it? Well I would have to say that is only up to you, I have it and wont have another coach without it. I cannot find any cons to having it, and mine is also only electric - no propane. Pretty sure they are all that way, but have been wrong before.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Our unit came with the fireplace. It has been said before, it takes the chill off on a cool morning. Saves having to carry a small heater. If you are planning on full-timing the space might be better used for storage. Depends what unit you buy. Ours, also has lots of storage so it isn't a factor. Even if it isn't cool it is neat to sit and watch the "flames". Gives a cosy look without having the heater on.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Our used unit had it in it. I would have one again. The positive are already stated and my negative is space and I find we are close to the max weight and have not filled up a lot of the available space. So if you have the money get it and enjoy it.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:09 AM   #8
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
We ordered it when we ordered our new 3475. It's nice to have the "built in" heater but it certainly won't keep the fiver warm enough on days around freezing. We bought an oil filled heater at Home Depot that together with the fireplace works great. Just be aware that if you have 2 heaters on and turn on something else like the microwave, it will kick the breaker if you only have 30 amp service.

We have often used the fireplace without the heater unit turned on for a little mood maker when watching a movie.

I would order it again and I think it would add resale value.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:17 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We full time and the fireplace is one of my favorite things. Ranks right up there with my Husband, coffee pot, and central vac. I don't miss the space because I never had it.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:23 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I've heard only positive comments from people who have them. We wish we had one when we were running out of propane in 40' weather. I'm sure it's a great moodmaker.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:00 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I can only ditto what everyone else has said. When we first saw the Montanas with the fireplace we thought it was a waste of space. But when we found out that area wouldn't hold our model train we kind of backdown. We bought our unit off the lot and it has the fireplace. Takes the chill out of the LR on chilly mornings and is much quieter than the furnace. Beside all that is adds a little romance to the air. And we still have empty cupboards.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
only negative is the initial cost. we use ours alot especially on damp rainy days, we have left it on at night for a night light for kids, not too many uses...other than just wanting it on. we also have one just like it in our stick home...just because
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #13
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
When we ordered the Monty I was not interested in a fireplace as it was a $1200 add-on for us, but the wife was if for no other reason we have never had a fireplace of any kind and she felt like it would be a novelty even if we used it only occasionally. We soon found out this not to be the case but used it often if nothing else than to take the chill out and did not have to use the furnace. The first trip out the regulator failed on the propane tanks and my opinion of the fireplace changed quickly as it was 35 degrees that morning. Space is not a issue for us as we have more storage than we need. As all of the replies above have stated it is electric only, as far as I know they do not install one that uses propane. Would I buy another unit with a fireplace in it?......definately.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Our Monty was sitting on lot w/fireplace. At first we didn't want it, but have changed our minds. Very romantic ! And yes it does take the chill off mornings. Only drawback is can't run microwave & fireplace at same time.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Sue and Ed.... you have a model train????!!!!
ho?? Don't tell Kevin that is something that counts as 'Must take" or we will be haulling it as well..
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #16
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
Couldn't agree more. To take the edge off the morning chill sure beats the noisey furnace. Not a sound out of it. And no mess from a wood box! Life is GOOD!
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fireplace is just to much..I mean whatever happened to roughing it..you've got to draw the line someplace...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #18
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
You know, I always smirked at the idea of having a fireplace in a camper, but we fell into a 3295 with one, and it earned its keep the first night out last March when the propane ran out. It kept the living area where our son sleeps warm as well as some of it making it to the bedroom area.

Unless you are fulltiming and need the space, I see no drawbacks to having a fireplace.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
RangerMelB
N scale is in the works. We put it on a table (not dining room) when we set up. That was one reason we like the 3400 because there is room for it. We have an HO also but have not had the time to put it together since we moved 9 years ago. Before we had a whole bedroom just for the train. We are also train buffs and ride whenever we can. Recently sent to Seattle on Amtrak.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #20
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I love my fireplace and would purchase another one in the future. I feel, as a full timer that the fire place adds that extra feeling to enjoy.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote