Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Slide Braces for Traveling Question

I noticed on the RV Forum several people state that their trailers come with Slide Braces that they are told to install to hold the slide from creeping out while in transit. My 335RLBS did not come with any and I never even knew there were such critters.
IS my trialer supposed to have them and how are they used.
Does anyone have them and or use them?

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
RMCcord, My older 5th wheel had two rods that had pads on the ends. These pads were threaded so you could place them between the slide when in and the wall. Was just an electic motor that brought the slide in. It was a saftey deal. If your TT has hyd slides no need for the rods. The hyd fluid will not let the slide go out. (so they say) They were a pain the the b____.! Good travels.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Bob,
My understanding is the same as Dick stated. No need for them in our type of rigs. I know of no Montana owner that uses them.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same here. I asked Keystone about this when we were back there a year ago and were told there is hydraulic pressure holding the slides closed so no braces are needed, same as rlwhit described. I suppose maybe if a hydraulic hose split or the system otherwise lost pressure it might be a problem but that's not very likely. No more likely than failure of many other systems in our trailers and tow vehicles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
RMccord,
In addition to what other members have said. It would be sad if you forgot the braces and tried to open your slides. If you use them make you a good checklist.

Happy camping
Michael& Diana
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Our first 5er (Prowler) had them. The second one (Tahoe) did not. Our Monty doesn't. Never questioned it since the second one didn't, I assumed technology had improved. But when looking before we bought, we noticed a lot of Fleetwood products still have them.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bob,

Normally you do not need them. The only time they will come in handy is if one of your hydraulic cylinders developes an internal leak. That is, if the seal around the piston inside the cylinder leaks pressurized fluid past to the other side of the piston. This will usually show up as room creep out while the coach is setting still. However, it is much more exagerated when the coach is rockin' and rollin' down the road. The only fix is to replace the whole cylinder. Also, if that problem does arise as you are traveling and want to get it to your dealer, all you need to do is close the IRC valves to ALL of the rooms until you get home or to a dealer or repair vacility.

If you have further questions about this issue, give me a call at the office.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #8
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Kevin and I just got the guided tour of a 2005 or 06 Newmar Cypress, that still has them installed inside the slides... the proud owner made a really big deal of those slide locks...
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm really surprised a Newmar product has them. They're usually considered to be necessary with the more inexpensive slide mechanisms. Thanks for the report. I'm not sure where the Cypress is in the Newmar line, though.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
They paid 41K for it at Harper Camperland down in Great Bend. I think it is probably the low end of Newmar's products... they are getting away from all the 'American" Dutch and other Stars.... I like the Newmars, and we considered getting one, but all that weight and cost for no more 5-r than you're getting.... thank you... no.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We looked at them too, then went for the most bang for the buck...