Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Generator

I have never used a Generator for my RV, however, I have use of one for the weekend, from my firehouse. My question is, do I plug my unit itno the 110 side, whihc is only 20 AMP, or the 220 side, whihc is unknown amp, at least to me.
Also, do I just use adaptors from my 50 AMP cord to either one?
A little insight would be helpful, thanks.

Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The generator that I have is only capable of 110V service. I don't think that the 50Amp cord will divide the 220V. Twenty amps will not carry everything in your Monty. If you have a volt meter handy you might want to check the load as you turn things on the trailer. Maybe someone can give a better answer that has some experience with a 220V system.

There are adaptors that will go from the 110V 20A generator supply to your 50Amp cord.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Generators are different.Mine has 15,20 and 30 amp service. I just plug it into the 30 amp service and go. The biggest amp users are the Fridg, Hot water tank, Microwave and A/C..I run the fridg and hot water on gas when on the generator.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
The generator I will be using has 2 20 amp 110 v outlets, and 3 220v outlets, but I am not sure what the amps are. I have the adaptors to plug it into the 220v, I wjust want to know if that is safe.
I really only need to run the ac at night with the generator, thats it.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
kozzy45,

I do not believe that it is safe to use the 220 volt outlets. The only way that I know of to be sure is to use a voltmeter. Disconnect the power cord from your Monty. Plug it in to a campground 50 amp outlet and measure the voltages at the connector that would be attached to the Monty. Then do the same thing with it plugged into the 220 volt outlet on your generator. If the voltage measurements are within 10% of each other you are OK. If not you will damage a lot of electronics in your Monty.

richfaa,

How do you run your hot water heater on gas only?

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I actually have to stop at the RV shop today. I will inquire more with them today. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:14 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KK and GB

richfaa,

How do you run your hot water heater on gas only?

Glenn
Rich must be out enjoying his rig this weekend so I'll jump in if you don't mind. We run our water heater on gas only all the time just because our electrical system pops breakers too easily so we avoid the electric side of the water heater.

On the heater panel underneath the outside door there is a switch to turn off the electric element. It's usually hidden behind piping or other obstructions. Also, our water heater is on its own breaker on our converter so we just turn it off at the breaker panel.

If this was not what you were asking, sorry. If it was, then I hope it helps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Thanks Steve,

That's the info that I wanted. There is a water heater switch inside that seems to turn off both the gas and electric.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Not attempting to hijack this thread, but a question for Steve since it his post here made me think: I believe the previous owner of our Montana fired the electrical element on the hot water heater. Obviously, then, we have been using gas only and it has been serving us well. Would I be correct in that there is no great hurry to fix that element?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, unless yours is different I don't know of any Montana with an inside switch that controls the electric side, other than the breaker on the converter panel. the switch on the panel next to the water pump switch (that way on ours anyhow) is for the gas side of the water heater. Yours may be different though.

JD, you can use gas only, electric only, or both at the same time. Using both will reduce time to get the water hot again but will not increase water temperature. The advantage of using electric, either by itself or in combo with gas, is that the park usually pays for electricity while you pay for propane. However, when we were vacationing a single 30 lb bottle of propane would last us a year. That included running the water heater and also the fridge (while on the road). so I doubt you'd recover the cost of the electric element any time soon. That said, I don't know what that element costs. So in your shoes I'd just not worry about it and would just use gas. Others may feel differently but that's what I would do.

By the way, ours always gets the water hottest on gas. I suspect that's a function of how the respective thermostats are set so some may get hotter water on electricity.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote