Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #21
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
1) That is not normal. It would mean that the axles are out of alignment. Dealer should fix this before any long trip.

2) The brakes would have been used by the delivery person on the way to the dealership, so they should not be "green". Most likely the brake controller needs adjustment, or possibly the brakes themselves. I wonder if point (1) could have caused point (2)? Regardless, the dealer should fix this.

Good luck with this. It is a disappointment when you pick up a unit and it is not perfect, but it should be easily fixable.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #22
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Peter, when you parked the rig were you moving it in a straight line, if not the axels will shift slightly to where the tires on one side will close up and spread out on the other side. When in a straight line the distance between the tires should be the same.
I dont quite understand how you are applying the trailer brakes but it does not sound normal. What type of brake controler do you have?
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use two of the BAL chocks shown in the link.

As Bill said, you have to move forward in a straight line before measuring between axles distance. 50 feet forward is what I was told by the factory service center tech when we were there and I asked if ours had a problem because of different measurements between sides.

On the brakes, it sounds like either the brake linings are contaminated, possibly with grease, if it does it all the time. Or, the controller is not properly "leveled.". Dig out the manual for the controller and re-level it and see if that helps.

Also make sure you don't have the gain on the controller set too tight. Follow the manual on how to set it. However, be aware that on the heavy Montana you will not likely be able to lock the brakes as they suggest in most manuals.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote