Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Gasoline and Diesel Supply

I just looked at the Flying J website to see the price of diesel. I notice that they are indicating that supplies are low in some states and one that is out. Has there been any mention of a fuel shortage in the U.S. and a possibility of not getting fuel?

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yes Bill, many mentions and yes, stations have run out of fuel. So far that is spotty. I think it is more in the southern states, but did hear of one gas station running out of regular in the area of Birmingham Michigan.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We pulled into a truck stop yesterday that was out of diesel but the next one done the road had plenty. They are saying the "SHORTAGE" is being blamed on everyone trying to beat the next price increase. The talk is that once the price increases settle the fuel "SHORTAGE" will disappear. Here in Goshen all the service stations seem to have both gasoline and diesel. Price is close to 3 bucks for diesel and over 3 bucks for gasoline BUT both are available.
Like mentioned in another thread, If traveling and until this so called "SHORTAGE" disappears, start looking for fuel when you get to half a tank and not when you are on the verge of running out.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This morning here in Northern Ohio Stations are starting to run out of fuel.On my school bus run this morning I noted most of the stations I passed had bags on some of their pumps.The price has not sky rocketed it is still 3.09 to 3.19 for gas, or are there any lines at the stations.The BP station we use said they did not receive the delivery this morning and did not know when they would also noticed that the Sheetz's station that I pass in the morning there is always tanker truck there and there was not this morning..We are not going anywhere, both out Honda's are full and there is @ 40 gals of fuel in the TV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
So called shortages are not all created by the customers but some by the RETAILERS.

This is an example of one that has been caught in our area. A local convenience store operator shut down selling fuel on Wednesday on purpose. His reason, to save fuel....in case he could not get deliveries.....he would have fuel to sell over the Labor Day Weekend. This has been brought to the attention of the Texas Attorney General. I hope he is in for a hefty fine.
This link is from a local newpaper detailing the situation.

http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?...ac7bb4edb05984
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I have a question nobody can answer around here. We live in foothill mountains of NC. We have been told by local news and governments that no stations have received fuel since Sunday since main depot has not gotten any fuel. OK that being the case the stations around here already had fuel in ground before the hurricane, nobody received any fuel since Sunday some stations running out. If this be the case then the fuel in the ground currently was at old price we were getting on Sunday which was about $2.39 per gallon, most all the stations around here now are around 3.29-3.59 per gallon depending on where you go. Why the jump if it's the same fuel you had before Katrina?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Up in Rochester, NY, several Delta Sonics ran out of fuel last night. They had the cheapest gas around at 2.89/gal. Most other stations have broken 3.05/gal for regular. The Sam's club had huge line, but I couldn't see the price.

As for Diesel, I've seen prices ranging from 2.94 to 3.25 a gallon. That's just looking at the stations on my drive home. That variation is extreme and I'm sure some are gouging.

I've been driving the minivan, it gets 21 MPG vs the truck at 17 MPG. I do have a full tank in both right now.

Hopefully, now that the Colonial Pipeline (http://www.colpipe.com/) is flowing over 60% of their normal volume, prices will stabilize. At least supply is coming through now.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Broome101, I have that same question. Hope somebody has an answer.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our daughter in Montgomery, AL said that city was out of gasoline. They are affected by the Colonial or Plantation pipelines. I did hear a report that the pipelines are/were down because of the lack of electricity and that they should be back up and running by this weekend.

Someone on TV said that a disaster like this will bring out the good in most people and the bad in some people. We've certainly seen the BAD in those who are so likely to be that way. I hope America pulls together and helps those who have lost everything. I feel helpless because I'm not at home and able to clean out our closets.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I hope the government gets on the ball and investigates these oil companies who are making billions every day. They are taking advantage of the situation. I say what does a can of coffee do on the shelves over night to cause a price hike. Same with gasoline.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Broome-
I am not saying it is the proper way for the oil companies and retailers to do business, but the pricing of the fuel is based on the futures market played out day by day in New York and Chicago and the price that is set should be what the retailer and consumer should be charged one month from the day the price is set. If his (the retailer) normal profit is .05/gallon and he paid $2.00 for the gas before Katrina hit, he assumes that his next delivery might be at $2.50 therefore he marks up the price we pay according to how much the futures market went up on a particular day. In the mean time if he is selling fuel that cost him $2.00/gallon and selling it for $2.85 he is making an extra .80/gallon profit and hoping that his next delivery will only cost the $2.50 and will still make the extra .35/gallon. A very short explantaion of all of the above....we are getting ripped off to no end. Today's gasoline futures were down .2253/gallon with the wholesale price of gasoline at $2.1837/gallon. Will you see a that much reduction at the pumps tomorrow, I think not. Will you see it a month from now, I doubt it.

After I made the post this morning about our local incident, I went to town and this store is selling gasoline and diesel .25/gallon cheaper than the station across the street and down the road. He is trying to win back community sentiment. I will do my best to avoid buying fuel from him and with his six stores, this could amount to a hefty $120,000 fine from the Texas Attorney General, he deserves it.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Fuel went down today from 3.09/3.19 per gal to 2.99 per gal here in Northern Ohio.No doubt due to the announcement that oil and gas reserved are being freed up.Oil on the commodities market also took a nose dive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
OH. Do I love that.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Answer for why the price of gas goes up without a new delivery.

My wife is a waitress in a small town here in N. Mich. A man who owns three gas stations in the Lansing area came into the resturaunt and Cheryl asked him why the same gas that has been lying in tanks for three days changes prices at the pump at a momement's notice. This is one of her MAJOR pet peeves . This was his answer ~

Major gas companies like Amoco, Shell, BP, etc all OWN the pumps and tanks in the ground at each of their "independently owned" stations. Some of you knew this fact. The oil companies have discovered a new gimmick to make it easier for them to make more money. They do NOT sell the gasoline when they unload it at their stations. They only STORE it there. They sell it to the "independent owner" ONLY when he pumps it out of the OIL COMPANY'S pumps into vehicles, gallon by gallon. They therefore have found a way to move prices at will, and very quickly. The gas station's "owner" said the oil company cuts him in on $0.05/gallon ~ regardless whether the price is $1.00/gal or $5.00/gal.

How about that for free enterprise!

Now you know why supplies (pop, candy bars) in these gas stations are getting more expensive. It is the only way the "owner" can make any money.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #15
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Here in Ohio,the gas pricer,showing prices state wide...ranges from $3.19 to 3.58 a gallon for regular gas. Our DD on Merritt Is,Fl says it's going up there...yest was 3.19.Family/friends have noted shortages in Chattanooga,Charlotte,Chicago & Penna.Georgia prices went higher too.
JMO....but with the tragedy from the storm, much will be diverted to that area, along with all building materials........so prices will continue to soar.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:30 AM   #16
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
It seems obvious to me (and I'm not a mathematician) that we are being screwed.

Let us assume that it costs the same for the refinery to refine gas today as it did a year or two ago. If there are 44 gallons of gas in a barrel and the price of a barrel goes from say $30.00 to $70.00 then you need to divide that increase by 44 to get the increased cost per gallon or .91 cents a gallon. So if your price is more than $.91 more than it was say two years ago you are being screwed. I guess the oil men and politicians figure we are too stupid to figure it out.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:31 AM   #17
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I have differing opinions on Charlie's post.

Maybe he should of just closed his stations and called it a vacation like any business owner would do. Would it still be an issue?

IF the gas station owner an (independent?) decided not to sell gas (his product). And He is not a monopoly. There are other stations in town.

If all the other stations ran out of gas.

IF he had gas to sell he probably would of been a hero for projecting the shortage and as long as he wasn't price gouging it probably would of been OK.

But in this day and age who is to determine what is price gouging. The big oil companies are currently doing it and we have no choice but to accept it. As shown by their astronomical profits.

Do you think they will take some of those profits and build more refineries???
Old 09-03-2005, 08:04 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Can't remember what news agency I read this from yesterday, but the Attorney General of some state said that they were trying to investigate all the reports of gouging they could. He said that the difficult issue that investigators have to deal with is that ANYONE in this country has the right to raise his prices to $5.00/gal (or to $5.00/ loaf of bread) if he chooses to do so. It's called Free Enterprise and it is NOT against the law to do that. So Investigators must try to prove the much more difficult case of collusion between oil companies. This is what makes it frustrating to the American consumer ~ that if prices on a commodity go through the roof, our politicians sometimes have ther hands tied and big business can sometimes take advantage of this.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote