Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Amarillo Texas Welcome

Howdy Ya'll,
My wife and I want to invite any of you traveling through Amarillo to stop and say hi. If you need assistance, directions, repairs, good places to eat, best RV parks, shopping, local attractions, and a lot of tall...aahh...true western stories, just give us a call. We'd love to visit or help you in any way we can. Even if you are near by and need assistance, give us a call, we'll see what we can do.

Don & Janey Spence
(806) 353-1633
(806) 463-2856 Business (has answering machine)

Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
thanks.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Don and Janey, We were through Amarillo on Saturday. Got diesel for $2.13 at Loves. Best price on the trip. We drove on to Goodlett and the Ole Town Cotton Gin for the night and got up yesterday and were home by 2:30 in the afternoon.

We come through Amarillo several times a year on the way to Colorado. On our way out we stayed at Dalhart at the Corral RV Park. Our daughter lives in Buena Vista, CO so we make that journey often: in the Winter to ski and in the Summer to get the cool weather.

Thanks for your offer of courtesy.

David and Shirley
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:34 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Padre said, thank you for your offer. One thing I am terrible at is remembering who is where. So, if you see Vicki or me post that we're going through that area please contact us about stopping to visit. We'd love to meet you folks.

Our second and third nights of fulltiming were spent in Amarillo. We spent the day between those nights in Palo Duro Canyon. That's definitely a must see! We hope to do the canyon again one of these days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Don Thanks for the warm Texas welcome. If we get up your way we will give you a call.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks, we will be coming your way one of these days and will give you a call. Ed keeps telling me about all he has read about Texas and trying to change my mind. I spent many trips as a kid going to Kansas from CA across the panhandle. Then spent one misable trip trying to get from Dallas to New Mexico. But I will try again. The trips from Dalls was in a Mustang with a 7 year old and a 19 year old daughter with me and we were not plush with $$$$. Might make a difference now in the Monty.
Thanks again.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, we (Vicki, the kids and I) also did many trips between Kansas and California. My exposure to Texas was the panhandle, sometimes US 54 through Dalhart and other times I-40 through Amarillo. All we saw was flat and dusty, kind of like many people's impression of Kansas. My childhood memories of the Disney "Davy Crockett" series got me (us) to go to San Antonio on our five week trial run before fulltiming. Then spending a short time in Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon. Later a month in January, 2004, in Austin, then Fredericksburg and Big Bend Naitonal Park. I now realize there is a whole lot more to Texas, a wide variety geography and cultures. It is an interesting state, one well worth visiting, in my opinion.

Traveling in Texas I finally understood the pride in Texas thing that I used to think was arrogance, to tell the truth. Those folks grow up hearing about how BIG Texas is and how great it is. It is ground into them from about the time they start to read. There are state flags everywhere! There are many, many billboards in which the advertisements reference being "big as Texas" or "great as Texas" or "Texas-sized". I've never seen anything like this in any other state. No wonder Texans tend to brag about their state and to compare everything to Texas. No offense meant to Texans!
Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 AM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
Thanks for the compliments about the State of Texas. Yes, we are proud of our hertiage as are many other states. Texas is a lot about what "tall tales" are made from, many based on history and fact.

For anyone interested in Texas history there is a link from the Texas State Historical Association, a very educational site with a very good search feature:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/index.html

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I, too, would like to express appreciation for Steve's remarks. They are right on target. So many people think they have seen Texas when they have come across the Panhandle on I-40 or what used to be Route 66. No offence to the Panhandle, we have just come through there a day or two ago; but it should not be taken as the whole of Texas. I will only add to Steve's observation about "The Valley" and "The Hill Country" and "San Antonio" that there is another entirely different aspect to the state and that is EAST TEXAS where the piney woods grow. If you haven't been in this part of our great state, You all (never used in the singular in spite of yankee misunderstanding) come and see us sometime.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 AM   #10
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I may be from Ks, but I know how to use y'all in a sentance... Prolly cause of all the southerners I found whilst doing geneology. Steve will probably tell all of you that KS gets the same bad rap because all you see is the flattest dullest, easiest traversing part if you stay on the 'slabs' (70 and 35). Texas is indeed a beautimuss state, and I can't wait to see more of it... but having to listen to my cousins (from Hoooston) go on and on about it... I just wanta smack 'em with a ballbat. Except for southern Utah in the fall.. no green, just rocks... I have never been any place in the US that I didn't think was neat.. That is the biggest reason I want to do this thing called full timing... to get to see more.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, you are correct. The Piney Woods area is something Vicki has mentioned she wants to see, as do I. Our only exposure to that general area is passing through on the way somewhere else. But it's on our list, the one that continues to grow even larger the more places we visit in this country. We have not yet been to South Texas, either, but that's on our itinerary for Jan/Feb this coming year. Mission, to be exact.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #12
Montana_4387

M.O.C. #4387
All this talk about TEXAS: We love it, especially in the Spring. We are full-timing but our address is in the Hill Country. Kingsland, TX to be exact. We spend most of the winter and spring somewhere close to there. Our second love is South Central Utah. If you have been to the Hill Country in the Spring when the bluebonnets are in bloom you will know why we love it so much. We park our rig at Fisherman's Haven on Lake LBJ. Not a prettier place can be found. Hospitality abounds in TX. You cannot find better friends than those who are from TX. Come see and feel the love, ya'll.

John & Judy Luellen
Cell: 512 914-2387
Montana_4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:52 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
John & Judy,
I have to agree with you about the Hill Country Kingsland, Marble Falls, Fredricksburg, Llano and San Saba (small city RV park all hook ups, $11. night on the Honor System). Not to mention Kerrville and Johnson City. So very close to Austin or San Antonio, hard area to beat.
Come see us!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:55 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John and Judy, just sent you an email. We have good friends in Kingsland.

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Back in Feb. We were passing through and stayed at the Amarillo KOA. We want to make another trip there to stay a bit and see the sights.
Welcome to the MOC!
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:06 AM   #16
Montana_4387

M.O.C. #4387
Has anyone seen the production "Texas" that is at Palo Duro Canyon. We have always wanted to go see it but are not usually in Texas during the summer.
Montana_4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #17
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

Back in Feb. We were passing through and stayed at the Amarillo KOA. We want to make another trip there to stay a bit and see the sights.
Welcome to the MOC!
Next time you're coming through there's a better place right off of I-40 on the west edge of town. It's called "Fort Amarillo". There is also a very nice shop there (just don't let the little lady go there with any money....). They have a website. It's right by the world famous Cadillac Ranch. Let us know when you're planning a trip and we'll give you a list of sights from the must-see-while-we're-there list. We can keep you busy for a week.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #18
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by judyluellen

Has anyone seen the production "Texas" that is at Palo Duro Canyon. We have always wanted to go see it but are not usually in Texas during the summer.
You bet ya, we see it at least every other year. It recently changed formats so part of the story line changes about every two years (this is the second year). The history part of it doesn't change. It has a website (www.epictexas.com). Check it our for next year. August 20 was the final performance for this year. Most of the characters in it are college students. The drama and the catered Bar-B-Q supper before it are well worth the price. There is also another hidden summer treasure that is a must see; and that's the Cowboy Breakfast at the Elkins Ranch at Palo Duro Canyon. It's the best $20.00 breakfast you'll ever have. check it out (www.theelkinsranch.com)And don't forget to check this site too, www.palodurocanyon.com
Old 08-25-2005, 12:49 AM   #19
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Steve says he can not remember everybody and where they are but he has a great mapping program that would allow him to plot every one that is not moving. All he needs is their Lat and Long. OH OH did I start something?
Thanks for the offer of assistance.
Good luck and tow safe
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote