Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Montana_984
Established Member

M.O.C. #984
DODGE WARRANTY PROBLEMS

On the way home from the Rogue River, if the tire problem was not enough,(see tacoma tire problems) while pulling one of the hills through the Cascade mountain range I started to hear an air leak comming from the engine. Pulled off at the next rest stop to check turbo hose connections. They all seamed secure, when we left the reat area accelerating in second gear I heard what sounded like a tire blowing out but from the engiong compartment. Turbo PSI was about 35PSI after the pop it was 1 to 2 psi and exhust gas temp was up to 1200 F. Not good. We limped into Roseburg Oregon and went to the Dodge Dealer. The Tech. discovered that we had blown the gasket out of one side of the intercooler. They didn't have one in stock, called Portland Parts Dist. Center and they were back ordered 3. They told me that because of Banks aftermarket parts my repairs wouldn't be covered by the warrantee. They couldn't supply parts to repair the truck and said I could probably get a replacement from Banks faster than from Dodge. Thurs. morning called Banks they supplied the new intercooler and big hoss kit via overnight UPS. Friday evening we were back on the road. It seems obvious that if the Dodge Parts Distribution center has no parts and are back ordered for the item there must be a problem with the part. The Dealer stated that the part number had been changed three times for the same item. End result I paid for the Part and I paid for the dealer to install the part. With my 2001 2500 with Banks every thing we lost the trans. at 97000 miles in Sacramento Ca. No Problem Dodge replaced the trans with a factory rebuilt at no cost to me. BEWARE TIMES HAVE CHANGED THEY DON'T LIKE AFTER MARKET POWER PRODUCTS

Montana_984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
This has been a talking point for a while. Check out the forums at www.dieseltruckresource.com, it's a site dedicated to Dodge diesels. There have been several threads over the past year or so that discuss Dodge's position on aftermarket upgrades. There's even been some discussion about aftermarket air filters voiding the warranty!

On a side note, I have not felt the need to do any performance upgrades. Our 05 3500 dually with the newer engine and the 48RE has been treating us and our Monty fine. Our region has some hilly terrain (but not as bad as out West) and we're able to keep speed towing even on the more severe inclines, even passed a couple of 18-wheelers that couldn't hold their speed.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote