Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Hot Water Heater Outside Door

Gone - Missing!!! Came back from storage with the rig, having only traveled 2 miles at 30 MPH, and the door was gone!
Luckly we retraced our route and found the door (in the turn lane) in good condition! Put a new coat of paint on it and looks like new.

I now have "Check hot water heater door" on my list to check before moving the rig. I will also check it when stopped for fuel or general rest stops.

Just can't seem to get it all together without "our lists"

Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:37 AM   #2
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Glad you found the door and that it wasn't damaged. I think those lists are an essential part of the lifestyle - we've seen more than one rig traveling down the highway with keys still in the outside doors. One thing I have trouble remembering is to shut the pump off when we make a quick stop along the way - I really should post a note by the door!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Sunseekers....... that happened to us once except we never found the door. CampingWorld doesn't just sell the door either.... it's the door and frame for... too much money!.....(Can't remember the amount other than it was too much).
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I put a small snap ring in the hole on the turn catch.
That way there is no way of it coming off unless I take the snap ring off first.
I will post it elsewhere, but why is the electric switch inside of the door on my Montana?
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys - that was great that you found your door. At least it had not been run over and damaged. I never check mine, but will from now on. Thanks for the thought.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Some good friends of ours lost their door but were able to retrace their steps and found it. This after they went to CW to get replacement.... learned that it would cost something over $50.... so they decided to try finding it. They had forgotten to turn the little plastic thing to keep it on.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:52 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We had a similar problem but with our holding tank valve handles. It seemed like everytime we went down the road we lost one. So I did the following to anything that could fall off (hot water heater door and holding tank valve handles). I went to Home Depot and purchased 4 lengths of nice looking chain (not the standard chain link but the fancy stuff). I attached each length of chain to each handle and to the inside of the hot water heater door. I then attached the other end to the coach. This approach has save me 4 times so far on the holding tank drain valve handles. Haven't lost the hot water heater door on this coach yet but, we have on past ones. Do you know what it's like to replace one? We found out when we lost one on our old Fleetwood.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Jeff that is a very clever idea regarding the chain application. One of the older rigs we had in years past came with chains attached. I guess they think folks should be smarter these days; or at least more clever like yourself.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the great ideas here and cluing to a potential problem. I never thought about the door coming off. You'd think it couldn't easily happen. But it's something more to check. Vicki has a checklist taped inside a cabinet door just inside the coach door and within reading distance of the slide switches. When she's ready to retract the slides she checks that list. It has helped several times. And occasionally we add another item to the list.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote