Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
3650RK (rear kitchen), any design issues ?

Looking very seriously at this new 2005 model, pre 1/2 year mod, with the step down kitchen. (The newer 3650RK's have the flat kitchen floor and king bed/W/D arrangement).
I'm wondering if any owners of the pre mod version have had issues with the step down, slides, or anything related to this design..?
Any ideas why they redesigned the kitchen floor..? Were there problems...?
Thanks for input.....jp

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I was so stunned at the kitchen arrangement when we first saw one, I didn't see the step-down and stumbled into the kitchen, Mary saw it but she was behind me. Probably a lot of comments of that nature.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
We first looked at Rear Kitchen, but then we talked to a couple of dealers who said they were nice, BUT when you are traveling down the road, where is most of the movment (rear)
Remember the video of the school bus out of control and the kids in the rear of the bus flying all over the place.
There were a couple of post about having to rearrange the kitchenafter they stopped.
We went with the 3400 RL and love it.
Just my thoughts!!
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have the 3295RK and have had no problem with things being out of place in the kitchen after traveling. Have never had a door or drawer open. We love the rear kitchen for the extra cabinet space. Also like the idea of walking into the living area when we enter the Montana. I also nearly fell when missing the step down into the kitchen in the first 3650RK we saw. I believe the change to the flat floor was due to customer feedback. Keystone has great customer service and truly listens to what customers say about their designs. Good luck to you in whatever unit you choose, Keep us posted!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't believe I have welcomed you to the forum, jpf, so welcome. It's tough until you finally decide what you really want. All the units we looked at had both pluses and minuses. We ended up taking the one that had most of the things we were looking for. Everything is a trade-off as you have probably determined. You give up to get. Then I have learned not to second guess myself, but rather to choose to enjoy what I have. I call it flipping the satisfaction switch to "on". Happy shopping...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:53 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
jpf

Welcome to the forum!

We had some trouble with the bouncing kitchen, most of the time it was nothing real serious. Previous unit had a bed in the back of unit, it was fun to see that sometimes it unmade itself going down the road. All units got somethin' in the back, and it bounces some!

THAT SAID!!! Bouncing will depend on quality of road, etc.

THAT SAID!! Mine is much better since new shocks on truck and Isolator on Montana. See our sign line!

We love our 3295, the desk the kitchen, the layout works for our lifestyle!

Pick a trailer based on your lifestyle! Imagine living in the unit, imagine trying to store your gear in the kitchen, in the basement, in the closets. Think of what you haul and where you are gonna put it in the unit you are considering.

Then, go forth and enjoy!

Cheers

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
We have a rear kitchen. We have also have had units that enter in the kitchen area. This rear design sure works for us. We would never return to a kitchen entry type. Its all about what you like.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:42 AM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpf

Looking very seriously at this new 2005 model, pre 1/2 year mod, with the step down kitchen. (The newer 3650RK's have the flat kitchen floor and king bed/W/D arrangement).
I'm wondering if any owners of the pre mod version have had issues with the step down, slides, or anything related to this design..?
Any ideas why they redesigned the kitchen floor..? Were there problems...?
Thanks for input.....jp
I'm going to guess that the potential lawsuits drove the change. When we first looked at one of these, my wife stumbled on the step and hit the island hard enough to cause a pretty big bruise. It was really hard to see that step, and never understood why it was there. The other issue I had was the crazy shaped couch. I could not fit on it to take a nap! Also, I have a real issue with the lazyboys at a right angle to the TV. I like to watch TV in the same plane, looking straight ahead, and not at an angle. This is especially an issue, when you upgrade to a HD LCD in a couple of years. The viewing angle works best straight on.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've put 25,000 to 30,000 miles on our rear kitchen 3295RK and in my opinion it's a non-issue. Just a few minor precautions are all you really need. Maybe that's because with the weight of the Montanas and the shock absorbers they don't have as much problem with this as lighter trailers. That's just a guess.

As for the step down, we really liked that when we first saw the 3650RK. I personally think this is no worse than the early 2003 and prior models that had the step down from the bedroom to the bathroom. I make that step everytime I get up to visit the water closet during the night and if it's going to be a problem it would be one in the dark and when I'm 3/4 asleep. But you get used to this and it becomes natural to make that step. I suppose it would only take forgetting one time to be a problem but I sure wouldn't think it would be long before you'd be used to the step. I sure wouldn't let it stop me from buying a model I otherwise love. Just my opinion, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote