Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Hughes Autoformer 50 AMP Regulator/PT50-C

Did a search on surge protectors and I read that some of the MOC uses a PT50-C and a Hughes Autoformer together. Curious to know why?

The Hughes Autoformer 50 Amp Volatage Regulator Model RV220-50 gives you spike & surge protection, a 10% boost when needed and turns off when park power reaches 118 volts.

Would that be enough protection? We are thinking of getting the Hughes and having it installed.

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The Autoformer does provide some protection, but not much if you compare the joule ratings of the two units. We use the autoformer to boost low park voltage since we have stayed at some older parks with power supply problems. The Autoformer will let us use the rig in those circumstances. The EMS serves a completely different purpose, it is for protection of the higher end electronics in the rig at low voltage conditions that the autoformer cannot correct, overvoltage conditions, spikes, etc. It may be overkill, but as an engineer I wanted to be sure I had as many bases covered as possible and feel that I have done that. In my book the EMS (or at a minimum a surge guard type device) is mandatory and the autoformer is an added luxury because of specific circumstances that we have experienced. It may well be overkill, but I justified it in my mind and most important of all had DW's blessing!! Others may have different reasons.
Bingo
On edit: My understanding of the the Hughes autoformer is that it does not "turn off" at 118 volts, rather it lowers it's "boost" to 2% instead of the 10% "boost", it supplies at lower voltages. If the voltage at the feed is 128 volts, it will still provide a 2% boost and this added "boost" will cause the EMS to shut off power to the rig. I have experienced this at some high voltage connections and have to take the Autoformer out of the feed loop to the rig (I installed mine to be removable for this situation as well as if it fails I can still have power to the rig). As a disclaimer, my use of the word "boost" is to keep from having to go into the Ohm's law end of things (for those who will chime in with electrical specifics) that are really not necessary for most peoples' knowledge and application.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have had the same experience as Bingo and as a result don't use the Autoformer unless the voltage is low. The park we are in now has been a challenge as during the cold weather with a lot of heaters running the voltage would be low but if I used the Autoformer then during the afternoon when it was warm the voltage would rise and our EMS would shut down because of high voltage. Regardless, we always use the EMS
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Bingo & Charlie, thanks for getting back to us and explaining the differences. At this time, don't think we will buy both. Today I ordered the EMS PT50-C portable from Tweety's. When I looked around they were the best price $349.98, plus shipping. (just in case someone else is interested, wanted them to know the price)

We are now poor before we leave on a trip, new tires for the Monty and TV and a surge protector, but feel so much better that we are safe. Can't put a price ticket on that. Now we just need for it to stop snowing!

Thanks again for the info, happy, safe travels for all.....
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
For what it is worth, my opinion is you made a wise decision!!! Look on the bright side, ownership of a fifth wheel usually only attacks in the hundreds of dollars as compared to ownership of a boat (Bring Out Another Thousand)!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
This is what I use in our unit and we are very happy with it.

http://www.rvperformanceproducts.com/voltagecontrol.htm
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote