Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Decided against the truck mounted crane

After several days (weeks?) of thought, I decided to forgo the truck mounted crane to facilitate the removal of the hitch. The primary reason I decided against the truck crane was that it had to be mounted to the frame which meant I had to add support somehow to the truck (steel plates, etc.) Thanks to some good advice, suggestions, and experience here on the MOC, I decided to go the shop crane route. Now, being the prudent person that I am (that should read DW!!), I started looking for the best deal that I could find. I already knew that Harbor Freight had what I needed, but I needed to be as frugal as possible. I watched sale papers and checked the magazines hoping to get a good deal. Then I decided to check out Amazon and Ebay and made a great discovery. Against DW's advise, I decided to spend a grand total of $2.79 on Ebay to purchase a discount coupon. The best deal I could come up with otherwise was $169 sale price and using a 20 percent off coupon which means the crane would cost me $135 plus tax. For the $2.79 I spent on Ebay, I got a coupon for 1/2 off of the crane so it ended up costing $99 plus tax. I was happy and spent this evening assembling the crane and am even happier with the purchase now that the assembly is complete. It is a folding model that fits into the corner of the garage. I will never again have to man-handle the hitch out of the truck since this is now sitting in the garage:

Thank you Ebay, thank you Harbor Freight and most of all thanks to those on the MOC that steered me this way!!

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Looks like a very good choice, I may have to consider one in the future.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
hey Bingo-- Want to bring that hoist to Omaha and help put my hitch back in now that it is spring time and I can pull the Monte back out of it's winter sleep? Sure would make removal/reinstall a lot easier!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ron,
You know I would, but it would probably be easier just getting a coupon off of ebay. Where is Omaha, anyway??? Oh that's right, Nebraska, home of some rally that keeps getting mentioned!!! One of these years, maybe...........
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'll hold you to that statement of coming out to Nebraska. Ff not for the Central Plains Regional Rally the take a vacation with the kids and bring that new unit out and enjoy some good Nebraska hospitality! Just remember it's "Nebraska--the Good Life". We're hoping to make the Mid-Atlantic Rally this year IF the price on diesel doesn't get to bad, maybe we'll get to meet there!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote