Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
farmer24

M.O.C. #11120
URGENT question, converta ball vs companion

I just purchased my first fifth wheel, high country 333DB. Anyway stopped by the dealer to settle up on it the other day and they had put a converta ball hitch on it. I have a fifth wheel already in my truck as I am a farmer and pull gooseneck trailer such as flatbeds. I have the B&W flip over ball in my dodge truck. Anyway I kind of wanted the companion B&W hitch that just fits in to the one I already have permenant in the truck as I dont want slide rails as I need to use the truck on a daily basis. The dealer had installed a converta ball type hitch on the montana fifth wheel that basiscally is a just like a gooseneck. I hooks to my ball in my bed just like the flatbed trailers I have. (I figure this is a cheaper option for the dealer rather than giving me the companion hitch) Any way I want to know what I am sacrificing if any by hitching my montana to the ball in my truck just like a farm trailer rather than have the companion hitch? Also I am not planning on pulling long distances just within 200 miles from home to the area lakes ect. Thanks I hope this makes sense and I need help fast as I have to pick the camper up next week.

farmer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I would find out what is keystones view on this hitch set up. The B&W is an excellent hitch. My friend has one and pulls a 37ft 5th with it
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
farmer24

M.O.C. #11120
Dealer said they have used these many of times before and hooke them to the fifth wheel ball in the truck and work good. ( But of course they are going to say that, LOL)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Crooktail
Established Member

M.O.C. #11090
I have the B&W hitch with fifth wheel plate. When I picked my fifth wheel up two weeks ago, the service manager made it clear that they do not recommend towing with a goose neck conversion. He further said that they had seen several units towed off of a goose neck that had structural damage. I have no personal experience to substantiate his statement but my theory is why take the risk. In my opinion if a manufacturer deemed it ok to tow with a goose neck, they would offer that as an option.
Crooktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There have been posts about this here in this forum and unless something has significantly changed, the manufacturer (don't ask the dealer) doesn't recommend this because of the stresses it puts on the pin area. The thing you could be sacrificing is the front cap integrity.

Again, check with Keystone for your model of rig. Consider that they'll probably tell you that you can't do that. While the dealers should know this, they should also know to tell if the rig is too heavy for your TV and they don't. Keystone will probably also tell you you can't double tow with their rigs even though others have done this with success (and some shored up hardware).

I recollect the High Country is a new helium lightweight technology and don't know if this improves things so you can use a gooseneck adapter.

The B&W companion is a great hitch but pricey and the best one for you TV's setup.

Good luck with what you find out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You need to check with Keystone and Lippert (if they made the frame). Previous posts have said that a gooseneck will void the warranty with regards to the frame and structural components of the rig. Definitely do some questioning!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Look at the structure on your farm trailers. They are built for goose neck hitches. Fifth wheels aren't built that stout. I wouldn't do it and I believe it may void your warranty.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes, that Lippert frame on a Montana is nowhere near the structure for strength and durability as a similar size gooseneck trailer that has 2 7000 lb axles or larger. Have seen many 5th wheel RVs with the conversion to the gooseneck hitch but do not know if the results over time are successful.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
get the companion hitch and forget about the gooseneck setup, crash waitin to happen. as stated they are not built to stand the hard hitting of just a ball. I have the companion setup and it is great. great company also.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Dui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10850
Went straight to Keystone with this question when I bought my 3580 this year. They replied that it would void my warranty . I went with the B&W Companion hitch and never looked back.
Dui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Dui, you'll like that hitch, one of the easiest to latch into and unlatch. I really like mine and especially with that capability of dismantalling the 5thwheel section into two pieces for ease of removing and handling. We run a farm with mainly hay and convert that hitch back amd forth many times a month.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
farmer24,

In your case, the B&W is a great way to go. It is so good that Reese has recently put out a copy-cat of the B&W to try to get some of their business. I constantly brag to my friends about my capability to pull the fiver, a goose-neck, or a regular trailer.

Plus #1: the B&W TurnOver Ball will take a 30,000 lb GTW and the Companion will carry 18,000 GTW. In other words, the hitch is a lot stronger than your truck.

Minus #1: It is pricey.

Plus #2: It takes me less than 10 minutes to remove the Companion for either a clean bed or to use the TurnOver Ball and about 15 minutes (maybe 20) to put the Companion back in and torque all 5 nuts.

Minus #2: It is pricey.

I wouldn't go any other way.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I would not do it. I would call Keystone.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Get the B & W companion. Got one, like it.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
farmer24

M.O.C. #11120
All the replies are great. I decided a week ago to purchase the companion hitch. I told the dealer to order the companion and take off the gooseneck hitch. I will be picking up my trailer at the end of the week, weather permitting, it is snowing here right now. We will see how this all works out with the dealer since the purchase included the hitch. i know the companion costs twice as much as that gooseneck adapter so we will see how much the dealer squeals to try to get out of picking up the tab on the companion