Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
Is the RGV safe?

The Mexican authorities are apparently having trouble searching for the body on Falcon Lake because of drug gangs controlling the area. With these gangs controlling parts of the border and the Mexican government apparently not able to do much about it is southern Texas a safe place to visit or winter?

stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Trouble has always been in the RGV but now because of more news coverage to the heartland you hear more about it. I would stay at a park with a security guard or a security gate. I have friend in the RGV and say that 1/2 of the stores in Progreso are closed because of no tourist. Truck theft is up so you should have alarms and a lo-jack for your steering wheel. I think a lot of folks are switching to the Corpus Christi area, but it is colder up there. I plan on going down but will spend more time in the park with extra time out at Padre Island, just out on the beach and think about all my friends back home in the snow
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is more of a risk than there once was. The drug issue is out of control in Mexico and with Billions of $ at stake human life means little. We look at it this way..why take the risk when you don't have to. There are plenty of warm places to winter were the risk involved are less.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:26 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

..why take the risk when you don't have to. .
Basically we all need to assess the risks before we do most anything and I guess that is why fewer and fewer people will visit Mexico in the future, we know we certainly won't be there for sure. Now one will have to make the same decision about the RGV, hope not?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

We will be heading out for the RGV McAllen TX tomorrow (Sunday). It will take about a mouth and a half to get there, but will not be going to Mexico as much, if at all.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Since we live in San Antonio, we don't go south for the winter. But as for visiting Mexico--I would not consider any Mexican city on the Mexico-Texas border as safe. Better to get great Tex-Mex food in San Antonio along with golf and great weather and being alive to enjoy it. The RGV should be a safe place on the US side.
It is hard for many Americans to realize that Mexico is a foreign country. I traveled to many foreign countries in my business days--including Mexico--I always kept a low profile--don't make yourself a target.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
we have stayed in mercedes ,mc allen all along that area.never had a problem .we do not go over to mexico.there is nothing i need that bad .but the state of texas is very safe.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Come on down to Florida weather is great!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Why push your luck, there are so many other places to go in the USA unless you have seen them all already.
my best friend down the street is espanoic, his wife from the Baja and family down at the tip, this topic came up he told me that the Mexicans dont even want to go down there, to riskey for them. I'll take all my chances here and support the recocery of the USA.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
We will be in Mission on or about 1-3-11 for our 6th year. We probably won't go to Mexico much but we do go to a dentist in Reynosa and we probably will again.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
We haven't been to the Rio Grande Valley area but hear about alot of people who winter there every year. We still have a few years to go before we can stay all winter but would like to find a spot along the gulf coast where we won't be too far from Missouri to return for visit and Dr. appts. Arizona or Florida make it a lot farther trip home. Hopefully we can visit the RGV and some other areas over the next few years. Thanks for all the input. All advice is appreciated.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Will be going back to Brownsville in early Dec for our 11th winter. Never felt threaten but will probably stay out of Matamoros this year. Just don't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I read the Brownsville Herald a couple times a week. According to a RVG park survey, reservations are up about 14% over last year for the Valley.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I wouldn't have a problem with the RGV, but we've made the decision to eliminate our trips to Mexico. The thugs down there thrive on brutality. They have beheaded the lead investigator searching for the shooting victim on Falcon Lake. CNN article.

If you should decide against the RGV, I would encourage anyone to check on the Rockport-Fulton area on the coast. Our weather is maybe 5* cooler in the winter, but we love this area. Lots of RV Parks, and they are continually building more.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
MsDewey
Established Member

M.O.C. #9693
There are many good places to stay in Texas in the RGV. We stay in Mission at Bentsen Grove,(our sixth winter there), one of the hundreds of RV parks in the valley. The most crime we've ever had in the park is teens stealing bicycles. We don't go out of the park much at night, but feel it's safe during the day. We don't cross the border as much as we used to do, but there's plenty to do on the Texas side. We love the climate , the birding, and the friendliness of the people, both inside and outside of the park.
MsDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Last time we were there 2 years ago, some misunderstood, mistreated individual that probably had a bad father, tried to hit me with his car. I won't go back for a while.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Well, I spoke to one of my new neighbors today. They go to Progreso every couple months. They will be going this weekend (wife has dentist appt.). He said nothing has changed. All the shops still open. Told him I would check with him next week. I'll report what I learn.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
We love So TX but prefer to be on the beach so we go to Port Aransas for the winter. On the way home we usually go through northtern FL and up through Sunset Beach NC back to VA. By then it's spring time and the fish are biting! Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know on second thought my thought is the RGV is a safe as any other wintering place as long as you stay on the USA side. The problems are in Mexico and you need not go there. We winter near Orlando, Fl and that is a high crime area but we are far enough away not to be bothered and we do not go into Orland proper for anything.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Talked with the neighbor today. He said everything is the same in Progreso. His wife went to the dentist, and they had margaritas at several places. Only place he noticed that was closed was Garcia's Restaurant, and they'll be opening back up in November.