Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2004, 04:22 AM   #1
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
Travel in Mexico

We are going on a caravan tour through the Copper Canyon in Mexico next January. I'm sure many of you have travelled through Mexico, and I need info about a few things.

What kind of insurance do I need? I know liability insurance is mandatory, and we are getting it through our tour company (Tracks to Adventure). Do I need extra collision insurance, or is the collision insurance I have through my US company (Progressive) enough?

Do I need extra towing insurance? Will towing insurance take me to the nearest repair facility in Mexico, or will it take me to the nearest repair facility in the US? I would want to go back to the US for repairs, if needed. The towing coverage with my Progressive policy does not cover Mexico. The Good Sam Emergency Road Service says they cover Mexico on a reimbursement basis up to $1000 (I have to pay and they will reimburse). Has anyone had experience with them? Is that what I should get?

On the trip, there will be at least 5 days of dry camping. Should I buy a generator (about $1000 for the Honda 2000, and have to carry a lot of extra gas for it), or can I use the Montana's battery and start the truck for an hour or two each morning to recharge the battery?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but this would be a good start. Many thanks in advance!!!

alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:15 AM   #2
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
As I understand it Progressive doesn't cover trailers in Mexico, only motor homes. Collision insurance in Mexico is expensive for short times. Cost is based on value. It is cheaper to buy it for six months or a year than for a month. Be sure to get "bail and attorney" coverage also. We had an incident down there last year and had liability and bail/attorney coverage only. As there was no damage to our rig we had no problems. Be sure to have GOOD WITNESSES as they saved our butts. We have traveled extensively in Mexico and will continue to do so. The local police were extremely understanding and even though we both had limited skills in each others language we got along fine. Good luck on your trip. We did a trip with tracks to the Maritime in Canada and had a good time. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote