Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
Wheel Bearings

I have 2 questions for those of you who do not have the EZ grease
option.
1.Are you having the bearings repacked at about 6,000 miles or are you doing them less frequently? If less, how often?

2. Are you aware of any bearings that are available to replace the OEM bearings, that would never need repacking, like we all have on our trucks?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks

THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Baily Bears:
It is my understanding, according to our walk-through, that the wheel bearings with the EZ lube axles don't need to be repacked. Just simply use a grease gun to squirt grease into the hub fittings. If too much is applied it will ooze out the back. Haven't had to do this yet since we picked up our 3295 on June 17th.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Packing wheel bearings is in direct relation to miles pulled. I pull on average 8,000 miles per year. I have always packed the bearing around Feb/Mar each year and have never found them to be wanting for grease. Also; the manual states once a year. That should be sufficient.
Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
This question of packing the bearings has come up before. I for one pack the bearing once a year when I go to Florida at Campers World in Orlando. I do pump grease into the bearings once or twice slowly during the year. One time I pumped g=rease in the bearings and put too much and blew a seal. That put grease onto the brake drums and cost extra to clean them up. I do not trust the ez bearings. Those holes can get plugged and no grease goes to the inter bearings. Whenever we stop, I check the temp of the tires. Thats one way to check if the bearings are getting to hot because of lack of grease. Better to be safe than sorry .
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren VA
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by THE BAILEY BEARS

I have 2 questions for those of you who do not have the EZ grease
option.
1.Are you having the bearings repacked at about 6,000 miles or are you doing them less frequently? If less, how often?

2. Are you aware of any bearings that are available to replace the OEM bearings, that would never need repacking, like we all have on our trucks?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks

ken is offline   Reply With Quote