Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
AlanPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #9264
Awning will not retract correctly

I have a 3500RL Montana and I am having problems with my awning. Every time I retract the awning the rails that fit into each other are off by 3 inches or so. I am not sure how to adjust or what to adjust to correct this problem. I have tried moving the pull cord to the left and also to the right but it still is off. I must get on a ladder and pull the rails together as my wife lets the awning up. Any help??

AlanPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Alan, the trick is adjusting the awning cloth in the big round tube. Mine has done that for quite some time and I just get the ladder out and squeeze them together near the top. The awning cloth can be pulled to either side of the tube. Not an easy task but doable. Good Luck.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Had the same problem. If you ever get it adjusted to where it rolls up correctly, I would mark the tube where you can slide the fabric to the correct place each time.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Any chance the arms are not evenly spaced up the track? Measure twice, don't cut.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Exav8ter hit on it. Mine was doing the same. Look at the awning on the round roll up tube is it close to being equal distance from the both ends? With the awning out try pulling the awning in the direction that will equal them up and try rolling up again. Note which way the arms are misaligned and re-adjust the awing on the roller again till they line up correctly. Then mark with magic marker for reference and sooner or later you will be re-adjusting. (It comes with the terrority). Have patience - it may take several tries to get it right but when you do that mark will save the day for next time.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
This is why I love this site. I have began to experience the same problem and now I know how to correct it. Thanks

George
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
AlanPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #9264
Thanks for the info. I will give this a try this week and see it it works. This site is great, because it has a lot of great people on it. Take care and thanks again. Alan
AlanPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We were having the same problem, I pulled the awning down got on the end and gave the cloth a good pull, it easily slid about 1 1/2 inches to a built in stop. Rolls up perfect now. The bulb material that the cloth wraps around sticks out about 2 1/2 inches past the end of the cloth on mine(look inside the bulb slot). I pulled it till the bulb was tight against the gray end cap. Works out as perfect spacing for mine, maybe yours is the same way.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote