Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2004, 02:11 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
first trip out with 3400RL

Well, after months of deciding and heavy consultation with people on this list, we finally ended up with a 3400RL and a GMC Sierra 2500HD 8 cylinder diesel with Duramax/Alison combo. It was a crash course in trucks for sure. Last Thursday, we left our home (Rhode Island) and headed for Boothbay Harbor in Maine. We came back on Monday. Everything went fine but I'll admit I got a little nervous at one toll booth and I had to ask the attendant if I was going to fit. I made it through but man is that rig big! We have encountered a few small problems. There is leak in the bedroom near the furthest end slide. The pilot on the stove has not lit for us. We'll contact our dealer. But overall, we're very impressed with the quality of the Montana. It feels and looks great. It rained on our first night and we had the experience of enjoying ourselves in spite of bad weather. That's a first. In the past, in our smaller trailer, we always felt cramped and restless. This time, we sipped cabernet and watched television. Four slide outs does the trick. One thing we noticed immediately was that semis no longer suck our trailer to the side like before. So we have come to the realization that the rig requires extra caution and care but in exchange, we get a rolling apartment on our backs. Worthwhile compromise we think. The internet has saved us countless hours of time and probably a lot of cash in the purchase price. This particular resource is really a great thing. Now I have to figure out a signature for below.

Wayne and Cathy Morrison

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:33 AM   #2
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by captbanjo

Well, after months of deciding and heavy consultation with people on this list, we finally ended up with a 3400RL and a GMC Sierra 2500HD 8 cylinder diesel with Duramax/Alison combo.

Now I have to figure out a signature for below.

Wayne and Cathy Morrison
Congratulations, same rig's as ours.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:37 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Glad to hear all went well! You will get used to driving the combination it just takes time. One of the biggest issues many have is backing. Even if You have had TT experience the 5er takes a little more input from the truck to get it moving in the right direction.

As for the stove, there is a pilot for the oven (sometimes difficult to get lit) but ther isn't one for the burners. When You turn on a burner You have to turn the Lite dial a few times to spark the flame(like a gas grill).

Hope this was a help.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:27 AM   #4
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Congrats on the new unit and I'm glad you are happy with it. Good luck with your future travels and just remember to make wide enough turns. There have been many turns where we has waited for the car in the other lane to pull out before trying to turn because we are so big.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:37 AM   #5
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Congrats on your new unit. It's the same as we are going to get. We already have the truck and will order the trailer this winter.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:02 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Wayne and Cathy! Sounds like you're already enjoying your new Montana! They do tow beautifully, that's for sure. The size is always something to keep in mind, as you found out. Many bridges, tunnels, toll booths, and some filling stations have the height marked so you can see if you'll fit. Others don't. Your Montana is 12' 11" according to the specs. We found ours to be about an inch under the specs. Also, at large book stores and truck stops you can buy a Motor Carrier's Atlas. In the front of those is a list of low clearance locations as reported by the state governments. We've found that very useful.

Hope you continue to enjoy that new Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:12 AM   #7
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Congrats on your new Montana, I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do!
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wayne and Cathy,
I am glad to hear you are happy with your purchase of the 3400RL and your GMC. I have been so happy with mine, and have really enjoyed using the coach this summer. The thing I found that helped with backing and corners was I went to Home Depot and bought a few caution orange cones (less than $8 a piece). I went up to the local high school and placed these cones out and practiced that backing into a spot and cornering. Sure hurts alot less to run over a cone instead of a street light or another car. =) Hope you have many happy miles ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi You picked a good one. Next time in Maine, come park next to ours in our campground and we can can hold 3400 discussions. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:16 PM   #10
Montana_1712

M.O.C. #1712
We just took our first trip with 3400rl also...had the same problem with the oven...never could get the pilot to light....and the sewer seemed to back up a lot (with the RV toilet paper)...Not sure how the pipes are run but after 3 uses, it would stop up (upper section)...I could drain the tank...and it would still be clogged up top....not sure what to do...had to push it down three seperate times with a hose....(not fun)....Has anyone else had problems with the sewer getting clogged up top....Maybe its the way the piping is curved down below...We also had those darn Day and Night shades break ...three of them...even when we used both hands!!!! Also microwave wouldnt work with ANYTHING else on....(30amp site)....Otherwise the trip to Tahoe went great....

2005 3400rl
2002 f350 4x4 pwer stroke, srw, crew cab, sliding hitch...
Montana_1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nelson, I'm not sure the procedure you use to flush the toilet so will just tell you how we do it. We started this on the advice of someone else after we, too, had a serious clog a few years ago. We always add enough water, using the right pedal, to the bowl to float the paper, then flush. We call this the "power flush". We've had no problems with clogs since. What happens otherwise is there is not enough water to pull the paper down into the tank so it sticks to the sides. There it dries hard. It doesn't take too many layers of dried paper to clog things up. I'm not positive this is what is happening to you but it just might be.

On 30 amp you should be able to use two high draw items, sometimes three depending on which items. By chance was your AC running at the same time? Or maybe the electric water heater element was heating water at that particular time?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:28 PM   #12
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Wayne & Cathy M.
Congratulations on your new Montana. This forum is just great with valueable information that can save you big bucks. Thanks for sharing your experience with your Montana. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:10 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Nelson,
I have the same coach as you, and Steve is right. Really helps to have water in the bowl as it will carry the paper to the tank. I did some checking on my coach, and you should be able to take a flash light and look almost all the way down to the tank from inside the coach. I know the pipe runs right through the basement storage area, just a thought but take a look at the pipe and make sure nothing has slide against it to take it out of alignment. If all looks good there, have someone go inside and flush water through the bowl and down into the tank while you are outside in the basement area. If there is something protruding into the pipe anywhere above or below that first bend in the pipe you will be able to hear it as water passes through. Hope this might help and you are able to get your problem fixed soon. As for the microwave, I only have 30amp service all summer at the lake and can use the microwave, fireplace, tv, and air at once. Only problem I have encountered is when it gets really warm out and there are alot of rv's in the campground using the air on "auto mode". It will cause a surge if one or more compressor kicks on at once tripping my breaker. I have found that leaving my ac set to the on mode with the fan on low usually avoids this problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote