Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Flying J Dumps Going to Cost You

Just found out that dumping at Flying J will cost you. We dumped at Joplin, MO for $5.00. They said that all Flying J stations will institute this policy.

I can understand why. We followed behind one RV a while back where the RV driver just opened his valve and let the crap run all over. Then didn't have the decency to hose it down. Some people are complete ignoramuses (sp). What is it they say, One bad apple......?

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is true. From Escapee's E mail

Flying J Dump Stations - Change in Policy
05/06/2010

We have heard from some traveling Escapees that a few Flying J truck stops with RV dump stations are beginning to charge a use fee. We contacted Flying J and received the following statement from their customer loyalty department:

To continue providing waste dump station services at Flying J, we are instituting a $10 fee to customers using this service. This has become necessary to cover the increasing costs of offering this amenity. These additional fees include:

• Escalating expenses associated with normal usage and the misuse and abuse of waste dump stations
• Rising costs from local sewer treatment service providers
• Increasing expenditures linked to stringent corporate responsibilities

For our best customers, those that are members of Flying J’s Frequent Fueler and RV Real Value clubs, a $5.00 dump station coupon will be added to their card based on fuel purchases. The club member must present their card to cashier at point of purchase to receive the discount.

We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to offer the best services and facilities in the industry.

Flying J also stated that the program is being implemented at all Flying J locations in the next week. Some will be monitored by a device that will allow you to pay at the dump, others will require the customer to come inside to pay for the service. Be aware that you will soon be required to pay a fee to use the RV dump at Flying J.

--
To manage your subscription to Escapees E-news, visit our website at
www.escapees.com/enews.asp or email us at e-news@escapees.com
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Another sign of the times.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We only use RV park sewer system, I refuse to use a dump station. Some RVer's are just to lazy to properly use a dump station. Only attempted to use a dump station one time. While waiting and observed what the RVer was doing that was my last time at a dump station.

I believe Flying J as well as others had to do something. The cost of maintaining a dump station has to be very expensive, just take a look at how much damage people do because they aren't paying. We use our black tanks for what they were designed to do. They are a holding tank! GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
So what else is new!
I have seen the RVers Ols1932 is talking about, there all slobs, and they dont care about anybody but themselves, I have not used Flying J's dump facilities, but have had to watch while the person in front of me dumped and fueled up. I'm in favor of a Fee, and the 5.00 charge for members is OK with me to being a member, and 10.00 for all non members. I always dump at the campground that I have stayed at, and go down the hwy with empty tanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As noted in Rich's response from Flying J - a lot of municipalities are raising their sewer rates to cover costs associated with treating that stuff. I know that our little town has just about doubled our rates in the past year and there is an additional increase coming as they have to expand the treatment plant for the growth of the city.

During a recent trip to Salt Lake City we noticed that several campgrounds now had fees associated with their dump station as well -- this cost was integrated with the 'full hookup' site cost but others had to pay a small fee ($5 at one place, 4 at another) if they had electric/water only. What I thought 'nice' at the one in Laramie WY was that there was a $20.00 (or so...) deposit to get the cover unlocked; you got the full amount back when you came back in and they locked the cover up (basically they ensured you cleaned up after yourself). I'm sure that there will be some who contest but it did get the point across. Very nice campground albeit, very cold when we were there.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Delaine and Lindy, I would also only use the RV park dump station if I was at a RV park. However, when you dry camp there is no dump station so you have to find one. In our case, we've used Flying J pretty much exclusively. And we don't think $5.00 is out of the question if we're going to have a decent place to dump. Usually these are cleaner than at an RV park.

Orv
Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, you can always check to see if you are near a free one:

USA Dump Stations
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree ols1932, however we do no dry camping, got all of that I wanted in 26 years of service (US Army). Actually I have never used a dump station we have only used the sewer connection while at the RV park. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Well, you can always check to see if you are near a free one:

USA Dump Stations
Have used that quite a bit. Last Wednesday, we had just come from a week of dry camping and I didn't want to have to go "looking" for a dump station when I knew I was going right by one; plus I needed to refuel anyway.

I'm pretty frugal when it comes to traveling. We don't skimp on things we want, but we do love dry camping -- though in my 20+ years of military service I seemed to be doing that all the time.

I'll probably still keep dumping at Flying J when it's handy for us.

Orv
Old 05-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Also, I meant to post this site also:

RV Dumps

It does not reflect the Flying J changes.

Edited:
p.s.

Orv, after 23 years in the USMC I think I spent my time in tents, foxholes and digging my own latrine, although that was not often as most time facilities were provided, but sometimes.....
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
countrylady
Established Member

M.O.C. #9820
Send a message via Yahoo to countrylady
thanks to those who posted the links to find dumping stations around the country! A most helpful tip to us newbies
countrylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
We use a lot of national forest / Utility owned CG's here in the west - quite a few of them have water / power only at the sites and nice dump stations. Everyone should learn and practice good manners and practices at these stations when you have to use them - I agree - alot of slobs out there.

Some of the forest service parks are lucky to have power only - water available at the end of a long hose for filling tanks only - and then scattered availabity dump stations - we use - hate to pack around full tanks for long.

We just spent 10 days in Hells Canyon on the Snake River at one of the 4 Idaho Power owned CG's - beautiful sites - power / water and central dump station at exit. $16 / nite - free WIFI too.

Enjoy
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Caution: Not all the dump stations listed in the references are available. Don't rely on them. For example, Judy's Cafe and Truck Stop in Jasper, MO is listed as having an RV dump. Not so. Never has had one and never will have one. We found this out the hard way when we depended on that spot to dump after a week-long time of dry camping. Judy's does serve great food though!

Orv