Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
weight limit in BC

On RV.net someone mentioned if you exceed the GVWR of the truck, you will get ticketed in British Columbia. Does anyone have advice or experience in this area? I drive a Silverado 2500HD with GVWR of 9200 and I carry closer to 10200. I am okay on each axle tho, and have added airbags in the rear axles.
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
FYI - airbags do not help you increase the weight capability, they only raise the rear end to improve the ride when loaded and bring the headlight aim back down.

I did a quick search of this Forum but didn't find anything finite, but it was only a quick search. Hopefully someone will come along and explain the details of Canada's weight practices and procedures. I have heard they are more strict and thought I had read that if you are overweight, they just didn't allow you inside the country. I guess anything is possible.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I take alot of information from any forum, with a grain of salt, if a person make a statement as the one you are talking about he should have posted where he got the informaton from.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Check this out.
http://www.cvse.ca/vehicle_inspections/PDF/MV3230.pdf The first purple box says it all.

If your truck is level and not otherwise showing an overloaded condition you will not likely be checked but there are no guarantees. Much is left to the discretion of the enforcement officer. If you are checked and found to exceed either the GVWR or the GRAWR you and be given a notice to correct or a violation ticket. If you look unsafe you can be pulled off the road. Here is an earlier bulletin with more information.

http://www.travel-british-columbia.c...003%29GVWR.pdf

Hope these help.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
In BC there is also a drivers license endorsement (endorsement 51 permits house trailer any weight without air brakes)
This endorsement requires both a written and road test for any RV trailer weighing over 4600KG, 10120LBS)
RV's in BC fall under house trailer regs.
The written exam does have a few truck weight questions.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...types-licenses

I had to get my endorsement and a dually truck to be legal in BC with my Monty.
Others may do as they wish and ignore these regs, and I believe out of Province drivers could be checked as to their home Province or State regulations.

BC does have roving truck checks and I have seen a few (very few and only starting in the last year or so) RV's pulled over, but have no idea of the outcome if in fact they were overweight.

Peter
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
I'll be in the same boat and over my GVWR by more than you, but under my RAWR. Keep the air bags and tires pumped up - it helps to look innocent.

I'd bet just about every 250 or 350 hauling a full size camper to Alaska is over their GVWR more than we are. Probably a lot of those traveling through BC.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
A Canadian friend used to haul hot shot and was stopped in Canada. He had to drop the load and have a heavier truck come and pick it up. He had a Dodge Dualie.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I live in B.C. and also had to got through the testing. I asked the examiner, who normally tested the big rig and bus applicants, about the weight and licensing requirements. Basically he told me that unless you cause a problem or are obviously out of line with your rig, or the police are bored, that the odds of being stopped for a weight check are very low. However, cause a problem and you are out of spec., either for licensing or capacity and you could be in a lot of trouble particularily if you are noticed due to a collision.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Twindman,
I noticed that you are in AZ, so I'm assuming you are taking a trip to BC. It is not only BC that you have to worry about, but any state that has weight restrictions can ticket you for a violation if you are stoped and checked. Most likely you are overweight for AZ, but I'm not sure about their regulations.

The possibility of being stopped is there, but the probability is very low. It all comes into focus if something goes wrong. Your insurane company could negate any claim if they find you kn violation.

JMHO
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clarkandsheila

I live in B.C. and also had to got through the testing. I asked the examiner, who normally tested the big rig and bus applicants, about the weight and licensing requirements. Basically he told me that unless you cause a problem or are obviously out of line with your rig, or the police are bored, that the odds of being stopped for a weight check are very low. However, cause a problem and you are out of spec., either for licensing or capacity and you could be in a lot of trouble particularily if you are noticed due to a collision.
My bet would be that some can take one glance at an RV/truck combo and tell if it's over weight. Like the couple that pulled into our CG in a Mobile Suites, towed by a 3/4 ton Chevy.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
The Montys all look pretty much the same to the 'untrained' eye, so maybe they won't know how heavy it is. My truck sagged some until I got airbags in it last year. Now it sits level with the Monty attached. So I am hoping I can get by.
If I get caught, I may have to move my wife, the propane tanks, all my junk in the basement, and our clothes in the closet to the rear of the trailer to get some 'reverse' weight on the axles and lift the front end!?!?!? Oh, I also have a 52 gal tank. If I run it down to 1/4 that would remove another 300 lbs. So maybe they would let me drive it home

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote