Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Winterize or remove the RO system?

My Monty has a Water General RO-585 reverse osmosis system installed by the previous owner. Now that it's time to winterize, does anyone have an insight into how to do this? I've never had one before, never thought I needed one, and it seems that it would be easier to just uninstall it for the winter. Disconnecting it from the water supply shouldn't be that difficult, and re-installing it later should be easy too, since the previous owner did all the hard work.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I would take out all the filters and the membrane or it will freeze up and break everything. A friend of mine forgot about his last winter and had to replace the entire system.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Take it out for the winter. I have not seen many of them but the ones I have seen are easier to remove than winterize.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
I removed the filters and the tank this afternoon. Spilled a bit of water, but it cleaned up OK and now I'm not worried about the thing freezing up. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I use an RO system in the house, but if I had one in the RV, the biggest worry I would have is the connectors since I don't know how they would hold up over time being removed and reinstalled every year. I would probably replace them all with something more durable.

It sounds like a good idea to remove the tank and empty the filter canisters of any water. But how will the filters do? Will they dry out and develop mold or stuff like that? I hope you find out what happens to the filters. Maybe you use this as an opportunity to replace them new every season. I would rather sop up some water than replace broken things because of freezing.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Art,

Here are the manufacturer's recommendations for filter replacement:
Filter Service Life
1st Stage Sediment filter: Recommend changing every 6 ~12 months. Replacement filter Part no. 201
2nd Stage GAC carbon filter: Recommend changing every year. Replacement filter Part no. 204
3rd Stage GAC carbon filter: Recommend changing every year. Replacement filter Part no. 204
4th Stage TFC membrane: Recommend changing every 2~3 years. For RO585, use # 385
5th Stage Inline carbon filter: Recommend changing every year. Replacement filter Part no. 213

A tech rep told me in an e-mail confirmed this & said to dry out the membrane and re-use it, but to discard the other four filters and buy new ones for the next season.