Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Bill I am looking at gauges now you are right. I am still trying to decide what all to do. I would really rather be camping somewhere.
bobby
I would like to be camping too. My camper is all winterized for the winter. Now I just got to dream till spring.
Door pod gages would be nice but I wondered if they would be in the way. I need at least a EGT gage at the minimum.

mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Scductman, I didn't realize you were driving a twelve valve truck. Your transmission is a 47re. The tps is a usual problem for going in and out of lockup. You should also clean and make sure that all your battery cables are tight. Clean and tighten them on both ends because that is the most common cause of a tranny going into and out of lockup. It seems that the older your batteries are the more often you need to clean them. On my old 98 I had to clean them every four months. I solved that problem with a pair of Optima batteries. Most dealers will try and sell you the tps(around $400). clean the cables first and reset the apps while you are disconnected.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

clean the cables first and reset the apps while you are disconnected.
What is resetting the apps?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks clutch I keep my batterys clean they are 18mos old interstates. the tps is very low on volts and has alot of wear in it. I ordered a new one this am for 210$ they likeum. I have a friend at a dealer so I may get a little better price. On another note he looked up a price for a new mopar lift pump 280$. I got ahold of the local cummins dealer and he will get a new cummins pump for 76$ can have it wed am. so I am thinking cummins is as good as mopar. opps???.
thanks bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #25
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Yes, The factory lift pump probably is Cummins already. More research would be needed to verify that statement. Most things that can be bought directly from Cummins will be cheeeper than Dodge and very high quality. Dodge just repackages the Cummins stuff and marks up the price.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #26
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mopar1 you are right. I went and picked up the tps this morning. While I was there my parts man told me that mopar gets there cummins parts from cummins!!!!!. Amazing aint it. 200$ to repackage a tps. I also ordered a lift pump from cummins today it will be here friday. I am going to the va hosp tomorrow for a gb nuck test so it will be later to install the tps. will let yall know if it helps.
thanks bobby
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #27
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Your welcome. Good luck at the va.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #28
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Any luck with the tps?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #29
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mopar1 have not been on here for a few days. I did install the tps and it makes the conv lock and hold so it does what it is suppose to now. On another note I got the new cummins transfer pump from the dealer. when I got it home and opened it up it has cummins stamped on it. Right below that it has made in china. a factory part amazeing!!!.
bobby
Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Any new progress?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I had some work done on it this wk. My pump man Pulled and cked injects. shimmed back to factory specs, new boost el, new #8fuel plate and new lift pump. Its runs alot stronger empty does smoke more at low RPM. I will have see how it pulls. Ahhhh do I sence a camping trip coming.
Bobby
Old 01-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #32
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Aaahhh, you have officially caught the "horsepower bug". Only cure is.....well there is no cure. Sorry about that!
Did you install a pyrometer?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #33
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I am getting ready to install EGT,Boost and trans temp just in case. I am hopeing not to have to replace the trans right now but if I do I have found a billet conv and rebuild for 1100$ from a good friend. We will see.
bobby
Old 02-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #34
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Gages are a must have as you know. What brand are you installing?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use this gage http://www.aeroforcetech.com/ there are many good ones on the market... We do not understand why the manufacturers do not put them on the big trucks or at least offer them as a option.... We drive by our gages.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #36
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I have been looking at autometer still dont know yet. It has been flooded here for awhile kind of waiting for it to dry up some. It is suppose to rain again this weekend. may need to get a boat!!!.
bobby
Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #37
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
http://www.dieselmanor.com Did well for me. I love them. They match up to my 06 very well and there instructions and tech help is A+.
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #38
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Scott did they send everything you needed to finish the install. I think the biggest concern is drilling and taping the turbo and intake. I have install them on cars so I know how but I would hope they would send pics of where they tap in at do they? Also thanks for the site that seems like a good price.
bobby
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #39
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Did you every get the trans gear hunting issue corrected. My son (a very experienced diesel mechanic) went through my trans (47RE) and I have the hunting problem. The fix was to disconnect the batteries for about 4 hours, lets the computer completely reset and the problem vanishes for several months. When and IF it happens again disconnect the batteries again. It appears that the problem is not sensor related, it is a learned response in the computer caused by a voltage or static issue from the alternator and it's shielding. I could correct the problem for good by buying a new alternator, but why, the current one charges fine. I could ground shield each and every wire from the alternator to its firewall connection or disconnect the batteries, I voted disconnect, that's free.

As for power upgrade and transmission, my trans is stock but serviced as required, I have added 125hp and 145 lb/ft torque 60k miles ago, have the trans inspected once a year, no problems todate and it sure is nice dragging that 3400RL up 7% grades in drive.

My Truck is a 2001 2500 Dodge, stock 460ft/lb torque, 235hp. New torque and HP verified on a dyno at Cummins New England in 2008.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #40
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks Jim my problem seemed to be the TPS. I changed it and I have not had a problem since. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I also have a 47RE and it works good right now. I just hope it holds up. Did you add the gages my pump guy said he did not add enough HP to worry about. Maybe 60HP more I dont know?. I am thinking about putting it on a dyno locally just to see.
bobby