Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Tire Inspection

This weekend in the CG where we are parked a fellow camper showed me a tire from is tv with a bulge about the size of a grapefruit on the INSIDE of the tire. He said that a driver behind him saw it and told him to check it.

I have always checks the tires from the outside every time we stop, I guess I better bend down a little more and eyeball the inside too!

I never saw a tire do this, I bet it would have blown out shortly if he did not catch it.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
That was where my tire had the bulge this winter while in Florida. My neighbor there noticed it, I did not, therefore I would have driven the truck and it would have blown.
This was a Goodyear tire and was replaced at half price since it was a defect, I think it should have been replaced for free.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are very sensitive to tire problems and maint. We always look on the inside of the camper and truck tires when on a stop. We had the "bubble" issue happen to us several years ago. We also shoot tire/hub temp's and have the tire pressure monitoring system.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

That was where my tire had the bulge this winter while in Florida. My neighbor there noticed it, I did not, therefore I would have driven the truck and it would have blown.
This was a Goodyear tire and was replaced at half price since it was a defect, I think it should have been replaced for free.
Steve,
Was the tire problem you speak of on the new 3455SA? and if so, how many miles did you have on the rig at the time? We had several problems with the Missions on the last rig and were hoping we wouldn't be dealing with that on this one with the Goodyear's.
Jack

ON EDIT- Disregard my questions.....I misread the original post
Old 05-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The "bubble" is ply seperation and yes it would have blown in very short order.
Ply seperation; A breakdown of the bonding compounds resulting in the plies detaching from each other. Usually as a result of excessive heat.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
At most rest stops along the way, I have been looking at the inside of the Monty tires from the back of the Monty (actually kneeling down) and I can see the profile pretty well. Same for the duallies. I figure that I can see any bumps that might develop. I test the temperature of each tire by hand. Since I've revised the inflation, the tires are never more than lukewarm or warm to touch. Is this sufficient to detect problems?

I've heard that truckers hit the tires with a bat or truncheon - what's that all about?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

I've heard that truckers hit the tires with a bat or truncheon - what's that all about?
They are checking pressure. Low tire will sound and feel different. You have to remember that with two tires, one will hold up the other one so it's not apparent one has less pressure.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I check inside and out every time we stop. I do have some advice. watch your head. I hit my head so hard, hit it on the cranking rod for the spare tire.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We had the same thing happen last year. A guy out side of Las Vagas passed us pointing down and we stopped to check things out. The bubble was in the inside of the left rear truck tire and I couldn't see it. Our conclusion was that the guy was just messing with us. We drove on to Parker Az, where we stay, and a guy at a stop light yelled at me to check the rear tire. This time the bubble was easy to spot and we replaced the tire.

Now I check the temp of all tires and bearings and look at the inside too. I do this every time we stop.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
One thing to keep in mind, as I stated earlier ply seperation is sometimes "Usually as a result of excessive heat." If you inspect your tires first thing in the morning that "bubble" may not be as noticeable due to the tire being cool. It would be best to inspect your tires right after being on the road when the tires are hot. As the tires cool down the "bubble" may deflate and not be nearly as noticeable.
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KathyandDave
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are checking pressure. Low tire will sound and feel different. You have to remember that with two tires, one will hold up the other one so it's not apparent one has less pressure.
While this maybe true it is not the best practice. Yes it will tell you if one tire has signicantly lower pressure but it doesn't mean that both tires are at the proper pressure. It's not impossible that both tires are losing air. The only true way to check any tire's pressure is with a tire gauge.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
What does excessive heat feel like to the hand? I've only felt the tires a bit warm.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote