Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Amount Discounted on New Monty

OK, this is probably considered a taboo topic, at least by dealers, but I would love to hear how much of a discount has anyone gotten off of the list or opening offering price on a new Monty. I firmly believe these numbers should end up being fairly standard but it would help me if I knew a target percentage that they are willing to discount. Also, I would consider as part of the discount anything you get for your trade in over and above its realistic resale price. I will start this by saying when we purchased ours back in 2006 the asking price was around $60,000 and we purchased it for around $40,000. So we paid about 67% of the asking price. This much better than I normally do on a new car but I would love to hear the experience of others. John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
In June 2007 we purchased a 2008 Big Sky for about 36% discount...........this included the base price and all options.........W/D. generator, etc. but excludes taxes. Some might be able to get a better deal now with the economy as it is. But we were very happy with our deal. We did not have a trade-in.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We had an excleent deal on ours, but I won't even tell my mother how much I paid for anything.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Usual markup is 30-40%, I'm told. Gotta watch out for the MSRP, though. I once overheard a salesman quote a MSRP of $80,000 for a 2955!!!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we did 33% off a price of 58K on the 06 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ditto Richfaa...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
We recently purchased our 2009 2955RL and felt we got a very good deal, although they did only give us wholesale for our trade-in, but the first dealer we went to was the dealer that Costco had contracted with to purchase through their program. When we finally settled on what unit and options we wanted they took MSRP(base price), added all the options and then discounted it a preset amount, which turned out to be about $4,000. They thought it was a outstanding price and couldn't understand why we walked out. The dealer we ended up buying from had already added all the options (less the vacumn)on their units and were $11,000 less than the other dealer. Even the internet dealers in Michigan and Southern Calif said we got a good price, so I wasn't going to argue to much over the trade-in.
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The big thing is if you like the price and trust the dealer,, then work as hard as poss to get the best price and feal conf with what you got but use at least 3 dealers and go on e-bay to see what they offer , but who ever heard of getting full retail on a used unit as there are a million units for a lot less money out there so i traded , i beat the lakeside dealer in mich on price as he offers a good deal , he is not the best try hilltop in escanaba , mich ,, ask for cory , tell him i sent you and you only want 1 price,, the bottom,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The keyword here is NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE and when your done NEGOTIATING you DICKER some more.

I worked for a very short time as an RV salesman in Florida. One thing I learned straight off was the % of mark up. On the Mountaineer it was 30 to 40+%, the Montana was 35 to 45+% and the Big Sky was 40 to 50+%.

When I am NEGOTIATING on a new Monty I first let the dealer give me his "so called bottomline" which maybe around a 25% discount from MSRP. I than counter offer with a price of MSRP less 40%. Of course the dealer will say "no way" but you just never know. In all probality he will counter my offer. When he gets down to 33 to 35% off we almost have a deal. Notice I said almost. I than start dickering on the NON-Montana installed accessories such as vent covers, sewer and water hoses and adapters, Auto Former, etc.

If the dealer balks get up and head for the door. Very doubtful you will get thru the door but if you do go home and wait for the phone call. The dealer isn't going to spend all that time NEGOTIATING to let you walk. He wants your money and he will deal to get it.

Also do not be afraid to work 2 or 3 dealers against one and other.

These NEGOTIATIONS may take hours but when I finally sign the papers I know I got the true bottomline.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have done the same as Glenn, and I have also sold Trucks but I admit it was for a short time. I just didn't have the heart to sell to people who really couldn't afford the those expensive Trucks. And I'm not saying anything was dishonest, I was making lots of money but I just couldn't do it. My question is what is the true MSRP, you can go to different dealers and the same 5th wheel same options and the MSRP will be different? I guess my point is no matter what you pay someone will pay less. But I believe if your happy nothing else matters. We aren't given but so much time on this earth and nobody knows that number. So We Live everyday as if it the first and last day of our lives.... I LOVE my wife dearly and will do what it takes to keep her happy. I will say now is probably the best time in many years to buy a 5th wheel/RV. But I will tell you the dealer will only go so for. Most dealers have stop ordering unsold units and just undating his stock to what is selling, small units are selling. They will order you any type you want but you will have to order. Also financing has also gotten harder to get. You will have to have good credit scores if you do finance. I was told almost 60% is being denied credit due to low scores, most will have to have in the upper 700's to get a good interest rate. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Two other things. 1. There is some kind of a sale that you can find on the Keystone site and 2. Think about all the extras that you may need like drain hoses and fittings, extra power cord, surge protector, auto former, leveling jacks and ???. Get them to add all those thing into the price. Could save a few hundred dollars.

Don't tell any one but we paid 50K for out Big Sky including extras.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
I never knew what the list was on mine but I just purchased a 2009 Montana 3000RK with almost every option for $38,000. I had to cross 2 states to get it but I felt like it was a good price.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote