Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Need advice for new truck purchase

Hi Folks,
I'm Jim [wife Kathy] living in Folsom, CA. We are in our 50's and finally found a great deal on an 06 2955 Montana. We found it in Chicago last week. We did a really fast trip and checked it out now it's ours! We had to leave it in the windy city until we find the correct truck to tow it back west. Which brings me to the question. Obviously my pristine Silverado 1500 5.3 4WD would not work-darn! So I'm in the market to find a great deal on the truck I should be using for this trailer. I have 40 years of GM employment in my past so I have always owned GM products. However this time plenty of folks are advising me to get a diesel. I'm not a big fan of diesel trucks, but that may be because I'm not diesel informed. I'm a very automotive technical person [gas engines] [former technician, field service engineer and now consultant and expert witness]. So many folks say buy Dodge, others say GM [not many say Ford these days]. I'm sure they are all pretty good vehicles. Here are my questions; 2 wheel drive or 4? [I have always owned 4 but not for trailer pulling]; I am also not planning on a doo-ley; I hear the Dodge cummings is so strong, but I don't hear the same about their auto transmission. I hear the Allison trans is so strong, but I know the Duramax only has about 6 years under it's belt.
So many choices. I'm not expecting to pull my RV up hill while breaking speed records, I just want a good overall performer.
GM/Dodge new or slightly used....Thanks so much for your help....

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First, any of the big three will work. Many pull with a 3/4-ton. I prefer the 1-ton. 4X4 will get you into and out of marginal areas, so I would recommend that. I never had or driven a diesel until I started towing and now I wouldn't have anything else.

You will find a large number of Ford drivers among our ranks as well as GM and Dodge. Everyone has their own justification for what they drive. Since each of the big three will work and work well, it may be the aminities of the different rigs that sway you.

You will probably make a better financial deal with GM since you have so many connections. The bottom line is that you won't get agreement on a tow vehicle, either size or brand. Some of us are ameanable in our discussions and some of us are sarcastic. So buy what you like and then like what you buy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Thanks so much for your speedy and informative response. I guess I was not so kind to the Ford folk-sorry. No harm intended. I like you advice and yes, my former employeer [retirements perks]sort of skew the deal. I guess I will start my search. Great info on the diesel you provided. I probably need to change my petroleum mindset.
thanks again, Jim
Old 11-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Jim, there are others who favor gasers. While they are a minority, but they are quite convinced. I will say that if you are in the market for a new truck, consider the 1-ton. If you already had a 3/4-ton, I would say use it until you got uneasy with it as I did with my former F250. Now driving the 1-ton dually, I can really tell the difference. The dually is heavier and there will be some reduction in mileage. Bear in mind the 3/4-ton was doing the job. The squirrels were probably just in my head. In any case, with the wife's encouragement we upgraded. She feels more secure.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The new Dodge 6 speed automatic is very strong and I have not heard of any problems with it. The Cummins is a great engine.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like you will get the best deal with the GM.I went with the biggest truck we could afford..in our case a 1 ton,CC,LB,4X4, Diesel..our best deal was with Ford.We drove the same truck as described above but in a 05 V-10 gasser and had no problems towing a 3400 all over the country. I have no brand loyality what so ever and would purchase whatever brand best served our overall driving and towing needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Thanks folks for the very useful information and advice.
Jim-n-Kathy
Old 11-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
What every brand you chose go with a 1 ton. I know I am going to hear about saying that but once you have one and tow with one you will wonder why you didn't get one before. I know I did, and I love the 1 ton! I also went with the Ford because of the Tow Command package...I just love it. Good luck!!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My advice is get the one-ton no matter which brand. The brand you get will be whatever fits well with you. What I drive, what Tom, Dick or Harry drives, should not influence you. We all are made differently and have different desires and outlooks. Just stay with the Big 3. As for me, my next one will be a Ford F350, unless I change my mind. :-)

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I got a 3500srw gmc..see pict but my dream is another dually,[this one]

This One.

just like em better, if you don't then a 3500 single wheel[ 1 ton ] is perfect, it does the job nice. my black 2006 is my 3rd GMC, all with D/A.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
One thing is for sure, your truck will either be gas or diesel. Get what ever brand you are comfortable with as they will all do the job. If you are looking at a gas truck GM and Dodge have taken themselves out of the equation as they no longer make a large displacement truck. Think one ton either dually or single.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Jim, I too would suggest the one ton, and 4 wheel drive, pulling the 5er you can get buy with 2wheel drive, but you never know when you will be camped and it rains, turing the camp site into mud. 4wheel drive will really help. Also willbe an advantage if you head north to Oregon in the winter, much less to worry about.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
As you can see in my pic what I prefer. I enjoy every time I pull my 2955RL! I'm maybe 200# over on bed weight, the airbags I've put on the truck do help get my lights on the road as the truck will settle about 2"s. I have more power than I need 95% of the time. The 1 ton I'm sure would be a better truck to pull with, but my truck is a daily driver for me. With my trailer I wouldn't have done it any different!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Do your home work on what weight capacity you will be pulling and STOPPING, find the T V that will handle all this safely, select the one that most flips your trigger, make your best deal and go with it. Many happy motoring miles.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Don't worry about "pulling" any of these trucks will "pull" any Montana. Check your weights (cargo capacity of the truck) and double check the LOADED pin weight of your trailer and everything else you will be putting in the truck. Then do the numbers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #16
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
I bought my first TV diesel last year for my 2004 Mountaneer 297RKS. The first thing I did is figure out my total payload, then I look at the specs for the 3/4 ton Ford, GM, and Dodge. Did not like what I saw and I did not plan on using air bags or whatever to level the TV so decided a 1 ton was the only way to go. I tested drive all three and decided I like best the RAM 3500 dually long box. It is also my daily vehicle. To me I made the best decision and I am happy with it. Like others say, check things out carefully and buy what you think is best for you.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 AM   #17
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Many folks prefer the harder riding one ton. However it's my experience the 3/4 ton works just fine. We have pulled our 2955 to Alaska and all over the western states with an 06 F250 4X4. You should try them all out and go for the one you like the best. Any of the big 3 will do the job.
Happy Towing,
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote