Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Drip Drip Drip

Stiles has a similar post about the other end of this problem. The thing I'm interested in is a better way to connect to the fresh water intake on our trailers. Don't know if the newer Montana's have change the common connection to the water hose or not, but I have an 05 Model and already have needed to change out the water intake box! The problem may be on the hose side I'm using the hoses Walmart sells. Is there a better way to stop the drip drip drip!

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Of the three hoses I carry, only one never seems to drip. The other two almost always drip unless I get the wrenches out and I hate to do that. I think there must be something with the hoses that don't mate well with the female part on the RV. The male ends that look like they have been pressed out of thin sheet metal are suspect.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I use one of the push on connectors I got at a Walmart. So far it is drip free. When I was using a regular hose, I would buy the soft red rubber washers and use them. The hard black washers that come on some hoses seem to drip more.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
It seems as if there are at least several of us who have this same problem. It has been an irritant for me over the soon-to-be five years that we have owned our Montana. And it happens with hoses that never seem to leak except when connected to the inlet on the Montana. Sometimes I can't stop the leak (more than a drip) at all; at other times I have to tighten it so much that I have difficulty removing it when striking camp. More often I get by with a connection that leaks just enough to keep me from getting in trouble.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:34 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I solved that problem with a copper 90 degree fitting. I use the 90 or even the pressure regulator to connect to the plastic thumb connector at the trailer. I then hook the hose to the solid metal end and there does not seem to be any leak.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I also had the same trouble with our 2002 2850 and now our 2006 2980. I have solved it by using the short hose that comes with the water filter that usually is attached to the CG water spigot and attaching this to the rig, then the water hose into that. So far it has worked for me. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The best setup I have experienced is the use of a quick disconnect connected to the rig and the end of the hose from the filter. I never have any drips and I don't have to be concerned about "butchering" the female connector on the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Orv I have tried the disconnects but the brand I used cut down my flow, may need to look at other types?

John on my 05 the inlet slants downward don't believe that will work for us.

Boylanag I like to keep the plug in the end don't know if the short pig tail hose would allow that.

I have used a three inch brass shout off, it does tighten up but still wants to turn. With that I can use that plug to keep road dirt out. Some of the problem could come from the weight of the hose? Would like to setup a hard connection many be with a union in line?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I also have this problem. I think part of it is, as others have said, that the male end of most hoses is just thin pressed metal. If you drop the hose, it gets deformed. I'm on the look-out for a good hose with more solid end fitting. Failing that, perhaps some sort of quick connect on a regular hose would protect the end threads. Just another minor irritant waiting to be resolved.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Orv I have tried the disconnects but the brand I used cut down my flow, may need to look at other types?
I don't know what kind you've tried but I got mine at Ace Hardware in the gardening section. I've never had a leak and no reduction in flow.
Orv
Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I think mine leaks at the back of the female fitting. Because the fitting turns it must seat metal to metal or should I say won't seat. To make thing worse the weight of the hose will put a twist on the fitting. The only way I can get it to stop leaking is to secure the hose to the trailer fitting with pliers but am concerned that one day I will twist it off.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rldriver

I think mine leaks at the back of the female fitting. Because the fitting turns it must seat metal to metal or should I say won't seat. To make thing worse the weight of the hose will put a twist on the fitting. The only way I can get it to stop leaking is to secure the hose to the trailer fitting with pliers but am concerned that one day I will twist it off.
Because I use a "quick disconnect" connector, I insert the part that screws into the hose connection on the rig and tighten it very tight. It doesn't wiggle after being tight. Then, the hose, with the other part of the "quick disconnect" connector is tightened on the hose. When the two are connected (hose to rig), there are no drips. I believe you can make yours work that way. Get a brass quick disconnect, not a plastic one.

Orv
Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #13
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
I do what H John Kohl does. I use a 45 deg. brass fitting to be screwed on first. To that I attach a spigot. The spigot also has a connection for attaching the hose. The 45 deg. fitting can be turned (adjusted) so that the spigot is level. This system solved the leaking problem for me.
Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was not aware that the quick connect was a greater restriction of flow? I use them.

Had one that started leaking - it was a little loose for some reason. I took an "O" ring rubber gasket and pushed that down in the female end. I then could not get the male end to go in all the way. Pulled it apart and to my dismay discovered that the O ring had actually snapped down into place under lip and disappeared. I was able to dig it out with a screw driver with a bit of work. I then tried the connector one last time and they surprisingly snapped together tightly with no slop. I hooked it back up and had absolutely no leaking.

Apparently that "O" ring forced the original gasket below it back into place, saving me from buying a new connector, which I would have done, as I like working with connectors vs screwing together connections. Might be a useful fix if someone has a connector that suddenly doesn't seal like it used to.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #15
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I too use the quick disconnect, it doesn't leak and you are assured of the same connection each time. It works great with the "Y" valve that I have also. Also have it on the flush fitting on the black tank. All together 3 quick disconnects from the y tot he trailer and one screw on at the park supply line. If I can remember to do it, I'm going to put one on the end of the outside show line on the new 3400.
LOVE THEM QUICK DISCONNECTS
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rick, I have them on all my exterior facuets, hoses, sprayers, nozzles etc, at my stick home. Will be removing when I sell and installing them on the Monty. Love 'em.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #17
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
What I have seen is the flow is cut down on a hose with a sprayer at the end. I would say that the flow may not be reduced in the trail because the flow is reduced at the sink and shower head anyway. But when you plug up the end of a free flowing hose with a 3/8" quick connect the flow is cut down. That is why I have not used them. Pressure past the fresh water inlet is not a problem, all the pipes connection have been tighted and tested to 100PSI. But at the hose connection is where I see the problem, I have not used the quick connect because I have not found a way to plug it when not in use.
I guess a simple cork would do that?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #18
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
The best thing you can do to combat a leaky hose is pull out and throw away the cheap plastic hose end washer and replace it with a rubber washer. Once you replace the washer, don't over tighten it!
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I understand the 3/8" reduction and how it could cause pressure problems. I always buy the quick connect connectors with the auto shutoff valve in it. Of course this might even have a tighter restriction. Not sure... I am interested in input on this...

*On Edit~ Also interested in input regarding use of a shorter hose to reduce pressure loss. I believe that the 5/8" hoses also are better that then the 1/2" hoses.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
On my quick connect fitting on the Montana, I use a small hose clamp holding a small piece of cloth over the opening just to stop insects from getting into the system and like the posters above , I think the solid brass push on quick connects are a great way to go.

I only use the straight through type and I think the fittings with a built in stop valve do cut down the pressure.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote