Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Question re: I-10?

Has anybody been on Interstate 10 between Mobile,AL and Houston,TX in the last six months? If so, How was the Interstate? Thanks for all answers ahead of time.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think if you take the Interstate 12, Northern bypass and miss New Orleans entirely, you will be ok. It is much quicker anyway.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I drove it a month ago and from Baton Rouge to Beaumont Tx it was absolutely horrible. After Beaumont it isn't too bad. From Mobil to Baton rouge it was pretty good but a bit depressing.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi CmdrDewey--Can you tell me why the road was "horrible" from Baton Rouge to Beaumont?? Was it the devastation from Katrina or the condition of the road (I-10???). If condition, what was the problem--do you mind being specific since we are planning a trip out that way soon and need to know if we need to make adjustments in our route. Thanks in advance--Ronni
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
It was very rough. The surface appears to be asphalt over concrete and the asphalt is gone in many places leaving just the concrete. It is like a 1" to 2" pothole. You also have the concrete joints. From just over the Texas line to Beaumont it is all construction and the lanes are narrow and the speed limit is still 70. I like to drive but by the time I got to Beaumont I was exhausted. My wife remembers it differently. she remembers the slabs of cement and there being a big clunk between each slab. Whatever it is, we both remember it being terrible.

It is similar on I 20 near Shreveport but the distance is much shorter, it is not nearly as bad and quite doable. We came back that way on Monday.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
Just finished the drive from CA to New Orleans. The road (I-10) thru Louisana is awful. The rig at 60 mph felt like it was going to bounce off the hitch. If you have an alternate use it.It is still afast route and as said before the trucks are going 70 in very narrow lanes. I slowed to 50 in some parts so I wouldn't damage anything in Monty. Goodluck!
Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks to all for the info--anyone else with suggestions for an alternate route is welcome. I was told that Hwy 12 around New Orleans was a lot better. Trouble is, we wanted to see the French Quarter etc, since we have never been there, and probably won't again in the near future. There are just too many other places to explore, so once for each is enough for now.
Suggestions welcome
Ronni
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
ok, horse of another color, since you want to go INTO New Orleans, could consider this, bite the bullet, slow down going west into NO, do New Orleans, and on the way out, IF the road is still there you could consider taking 90 south and west out of NO. It looks like a long detour, but we did it, and it was a fascinating drive thru the swamp (bayou) land. Take it to Lafayette, where you can jump back on I 10 (not quite as bad there when we were there 2 years ago) OR run up to Shreveport and head west into Texas (Dallas and Fort Worth).
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Ditto what people are saying about the Texas stretch of I-10 between the state line and Beaumont. There is a lot of construction on this section, featuring narrow lanes through Vidor and frequent lane closings in Beaumont, especially on the Neches River bridge. There seem to be frequent wrecks during the morning commute in Vidor.

You may want to consider scheduling your trip through this area appropriately. A detour to the north (US 190 for example) will take you quite a bit out of the way.
one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:09 AM   #10
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
A comment on the eastbound route:
Were currently heading east after wintering in the RGV. Picked up I 10 at San Antonio. Getting thru SA was fairly easy at noon on a weekday. Houston was another matter, lots of construction delays and losing right lanes due to exit only lanes. Stay toward the middle if possible.
The road was fair till the La line then it got abysmal for about 45 miles, about 13 miles east of Lake Charles. Lots of bouncing, pot holes, missing or recessed chunks of concrete, and the endless parade of fast moving trucks. Like others have said we slowed to 50 mph in areas, seemed like the hitch wouldn't handle much more of the stress. Some rough parts thru Lafayette and Baton Rouge but mostly OK so far.
Were in Livingston La east of Baton Rouge at a nice park. Lakeside RV Park a couple miles south of I 12. PPA 2 nites, 143 cement pads, some pull thrus, 13 acre lake, nice folks, a good stopover for a few days. The park is just about full with disaster relief and construction worker long timers but the workcampers say they are leaving sites open for traveling RV'ers
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote