Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
HappyHoosiers

M.O.C. #20120
We had back-to-back blowouts 2 years ago....thank goodness for a transporter going by us and backing up to our rescue

HappyHoosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHoosiers View Post
We had back-to-back blowouts 2 years ago....thank goodness for a transporter going by us and backing up to our rescue
With that kind of luck you should have bought a lottery ticket
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #23
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Cracks me up when everyone hates on marathons...They are good tires, just not for your rig...Our previous unit was a Cougar and we ran marathons exclusively (2 sets) for almost 8 years including a trip from Missouri to Florida and back with ZERO problems. We switched to "D" rated marathons after experiencing 2 blow outs...1 on the first trip out (3 yr old factory "D" rated tire not sure how many miles on it), the other on the next set of tires (mexican "E" rated tires <2000 miles.) So why did I have good luck with marathons? Many reasons....1st, that trailer was much lighter...it is my opinion ALL trailer manufactures put cheap tires on to begin with...in some case maybe even barely adequate (see post #3 and #4 above). I found I had been exceeding the speed rating on the mexican set of tires...that blowout was probably my fault. Others are guilty of this, but wont admit it, some are not even aware of what their tires speed rating is. Lesson learned, I dont exceed 65mph anymore, when on "D" rated marathons. We take care of our tires, keep them covered from UV rays when not on the road, tire age is a factor also. I change mine out every 4 years, regardless of mileage. We are diligent about proper air pressure, not just the max pressure listed on the side mind you. Get a tpms unit...know what your pressures AND temperatures are...tire temperature may have clued you in sooner that you have an alignment problem. It could also warn you of a wheel bearing getting hot. Get your trailer weighed, fully loaded. Is your weight properly distributed, or is one tire carrying more than its share of the load? All of these things can help avoid a blow out...putting on a tire with a higher load rating is not always the best answer, it may just prolong your next tire issue if you don't address your underlying cause, alignment in your case (see posts 7 and 9 above). To all those here with more grey whiskers than me, I mean no disrespect, just sharing my personal experiences.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I had 3 blowouts on the way to Wyoming on a 7200 pound camper with Marathon tires. That was enough for me. Switched to LT tires, not a minutes trouble since.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
Cracks me up when everyone hates on marathons...They are good tires, just not for your rig...Our previous unit was a Cougar and we ran marathons exclusively (2 sets) for almost 8 years including a trip from Missouri to Florida and back with ZERO problems. We switched to "D" rated marathons after experiencing 2 blow outs...1 on the first trip out (3 yr old factory "D" rated tire not sure how many miles on it), the other on the next set of tires (mexican "E" rated tires <2000 miles.) So why did I have good luck with marathons? Many reasons....1st, that trailer was much lighter...it is my opinion ALL trailer manufactures put cheap tires on to begin with...in some case maybe even barely adequate (see post #3 and #4 above). I found I had been exceeding the speed rating on the mexican set of tires...that blowout was probably my fault. Others are guilty of this, but wont admit it, some are not even aware of what their tires speed rating is. Lesson learned, I dont exceed 65mph anymore, when on "D" rated marathons. We take care of our tires, keep them covered from UV rays when not on the road, tire age is a factor also. I change mine out every 4 years, regardless of mileage. We are diligent about proper air pressure, not just the max pressure listed on the side mind you. Get a tpms unit...know what your pressures AND temperatures are...tire temperature may have clued you in sooner that you have an alignment problem. It could also warn you of a wheel bearing getting hot. Get your trailer weighed, fully loaded. Is your weight properly distributed, or is one tire carrying more than its share of the load? All of these things can help avoid a blow out...putting on a tire with a higher load rating is not always the best answer, it may just prolong your next tire issue if you don't address your underlying cause, alignment in your case (see posts 7 and 9 above). To all those here with more grey whiskers than me, I mean no disrespect, just sharing my personal experiences.
Just buy Sailuns and worry no more!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #26
ChiefKB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5913
Goodyear made good on repairs

Hi All,
Just wanted to let the group know that Goodyear, to my surprise, actually covered my entire loss, the tire, rim, and all of the damage to my rig! That saved me a claim on my auto compressive policy. Goodyear claims was quite easy to deal with. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks the repairs will be complete I will be back on the road to camping.

After this experience I am definitely going to replace all tires and the spare. I am leaning towards Goodyear G614 tires as GY will credit me based on the wear of the tires I am replacing.

Any thoughts on the G614 vs ?

Thanks,
ChiefKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #27
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefKB View Post
......G614 vs ?.......
The GYs don't have a stellar reputation on this forum or others. You might just want to search for G614s to see the comments. OTOH, I doubt Sailun would reimburse you for damage caused by one of their tires, although I've never seen a report of a Sailun blowout.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #28
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
The GYs don't have a stellar reputation on this forum or others. You might just want to search for G614s to see the comments. OTOH, I doubt Sailun would reimburse you for damage caused by one of their tires, although I've never seen a report of a Sailun blowout.
Agree 100%! However, as I'd rather not have the trouble at all I went with the Sailun S637.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #29
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
We had a sidewall blowout on the LA 405. Talk about scary. Fortunately no damage to the RV. Roadside assistance helped change the tire and we limped into our campground. Contacted a tire dealer who came to the campground the following morning and used the old fashioned tire levers to replace ALL the tires with G614's. The Marathons were almost brand new but I told the tire guy to take them away but whatever he does don't sell them to someone with an RV. Done thousands of miles on the G614s and I don't even think about them except to check tire pressure now and then.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #30
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I had the sailuns installed on my 2014 rv before i left the lot. The goodyears had a very bad reputation several years ago but they seem to not have any problems anymore. I guess they can contribute it to a bad batch. Goodyear may give you enough trade-in to make up the difference between them and the sailuns and if so then i would not hesitate to get the goodyears as you have experienced sailun will not pay for damages but goodyear will. Of course as has been said on this forum,there has never been a sailun failure that anyone knows about. No bad choice on either tire. Good luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #31
ChiefKB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5913
So I am replacing the Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16 with the Sailun S637. I am not really familiar with what the information on the tire sizing is so would I be asking for the same sizing, ST235/80R16 ?
ChiefKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #32
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
[QUOTE=ChiefKB;1072260)......so would I be asking for the same sizing, ST235/80R16 ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, get the same size, or, if you have enough room you could go with 235/85 which would increase the trailer height 1/2". That's what I did and I can't see the difference.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #33
christm
Established Member

M.O.C. #18736
Send a message via AIM to christm
Just switched from Trailer Kings LRE that came on our 2016 3910FB. After 3 tires went down with bad side walls and the last one blew and cause about $13K worth of damage. Of course the tire company said I had the trailer overloaded or the tires were under inflated. They are 100% wrong on both counts. I switched to Sailun LRG based on all the reading I have done.
christm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #34
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Stopped for fuel in Idaho farmland yesterday on the I15. Local man comes over and looks at the rig and says he sees I have Sailuns. He said the farmers around him are using them on their heavy trailers for stock and machinery. Nice to know.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
Just switched from Trailer Kings LRE that came on our 2016 3910FB. After 3 tires went down with bad side walls and the last one blew and cause about $13K worth of damage. Of course the tire company said I had the trailer overloaded or the tires were under inflated. They are 100% wrong on both counts. I switched to Sailun LRG based on all the reading I have done.
If you are new here please pay close attention to this. This goes for all standard ST tires, Marathons and like tires. These tires are not adequate for these heavy campers. Don't think you can drive some magic speed or inflate to some magic pressure. You might get by but I wouldn't bet my camper on that. Far too many have thought that only to get burned.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #36
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If you are new here please pay close attention to this. This goes for all standard ST tires, Marathons and like tires. These tires are not adequate for these heavy campers. Don't think you can drive some magic speed or inflate to some magic pressure. You might get by but I wouldn't bet my camper on that. Far too many have thought that only to get burned.
Lynwood

The Sailun tires he bought have either a 4080# or 4400# rating per tire. About 16,000# and few have a GVWR that high without considering weight that stays on the landing gear / hitch. No one has yet to post a Sailun tire failure so if you can find one, please post it.