Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Gray tank leak

Sitting for five weeks and last night noticed water streaming from under belly under location for galley tank. Checked water and it is of the gray water type. Could smell it also. Also emptied that gray tank which was about 3/4 full. Water stream did stop.
So today I have to remove some of the under belly material and take a look.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Are tanks marked to size and model?

Thanks.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Yes, the tanks have a molded in number on them. Had two breaks on our galley tank, the top rim split and the bottom cracked. Plastimend repair still as good as the day I did it. Galley tanks are somewhat a pain to drop as you have to cut the drain inlet pipe couple of inches above the floor under the sink or wherever you see it going through the floor. Rubber no hub coupling will be used to reconnect it. With outlet also disconnected and wires for level removed...it only requires removal of the square steel tube holding one top lip, then thetilt down on that side to get the drain pipe through the floor, and then pull it sideways to get the other lip out from under the other support. Couple days to do the repair/s, time to figure out how to get some support around the tank after re-install, and voila...back in business.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Ok, I cut the Coroplast and did not see the leak. Put 40 gallons in the tank and still did not see a leak. Did get some smell when draining a full sink though.
So the leak must be at or very near top so it must need to be over full to leak.
Going to try and make it home before I try and repeat the leak. I did support the tank while underneath.

2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Old 08-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Ok, I cut the Coroplast and did not see the leak. Put 40 gallons in the tank and still did not see a leak. Did get some smell when draining a full sink though.
So the leak must be at or very near top so it must need to be over full to leak.
Going to try and make it home before I try and repeat the leak. I did support the tank while underneath.
The tank leaks of those model tanks were nearly always at the inlet of the tank this is why we learned to never let the tanks get full .We dump often. The model number will be on the tank. Just do not fill the tank and you will be ok.
The weight of the liquid in the tank will pull the inlet away from the tank at about half full you should be ok. That has been our experience.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Good. Perhaps my adding supports under the tank will help.

Thanks

2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Good. Perhaps my adding supports under the tank will help.

Thanks
We had supports added to our tanks as they failed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote