Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Picking up 3813ms next week

Years in the making we have finally chosen and purchased Montana. We chose the 3813ms legacy with paint in Champagne. Picking it up on Wednesday next week we are excited.

So many times we changed our choice, from Cougar to High Country 35’ to Montana 41’ to legacy and paint. Wow. We bought a lot in an RV resort for winter here in Florida, travel about half the year. Decided to sell our house and full time. Learned about insurance, tools, maintenance, etc on this forum, thanks. What a long strange trip it’s been... now we get started!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2508DAE-C415-425B-981F-01ABB76547AB.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	5272  

Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Congrats, it's absolutely beautiful!
Russ&Reen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:30 AM   #3
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
Looks nice, I'm looking at a 3812MS, just waiting for the "real" sales people to get to Quartzsite to start the process. Being that I boondock a lot, it will interesting to find out more about the "Optional Super Solar Flex System".
Old 01-01-2020, 04:17 AM   #4
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Not enough watts for that kind of money but it’s nice to see them going in that direction on solar.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:59 AM   #5
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Congrats! That is one awesome looking rig.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
Lanny1763

M.O.C. #25556
Very nice! Enjoy.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome and safe travels. Nice rig!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:01 AM   #8
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Picked up ours 3 weeks ago and now it is in indoor storage until April. Lots of fun backing it up down a 90 foot by 10 foot slot in the dark but we got 'er dun.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
Not enough watts for that kind of money but it’s nice to see them going in that direction on solar.
x2. we did not order that option. For the money we simply could not justify it. We are going to add solar at a near future date. Lots of room ( with room to grow) on the roof for our planned 1280 watt system.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 01-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Picked up ours 3 weeks ago and now it is in indoor storage until April. Lots of fun backing it up down a 90 foot by 10 foot slot in the dark but we got 'er dun.
Mine will be in the yard until April also, I rented our lot to Canadians for the winter. I’ve been using the dually as a daily driver for a year, not pulling a trailer of course, but I find it very easy to drive and park. This will be a lot bigger trailer for me though, wish me luck. lol.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #11
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
x2. we did not order that option. For the money we simply could not justify it. We are going to add solar at a near future date. Lots of room ( with room to grow) on the roof for our planned 1280 watt system.
I would love to have solar and may go that route too some time. I want to learn my actual electric consumption first and plan from there. Holy cow batteries are really expensive.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope you have many happy times in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
I would love to have solar and may go that route too some time. I want to learn my actual electric consumption first and plan from there. Holy cow batteries are really expensive.
Since you have the residential fridge you can count on over 130Ah per day just for the fridge. It will be the biggest draw on your batteries.

We're going to do it in phases, inverter and batteries first then solar. Yeah batteries are expensive (they are coming down in price but our estimated recovery time of our outlay is about 4 years for the entire system based on the time we will be boondocking vs in CGs. We are good with that. YMMV as they say.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #14
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Mine will be in the yard until April also, I rented our lot to Canadians for the winter. I’ve been using the dually as a daily driver for a year, not pulling a trailer of course, but I find it very easy to drive and park. This will be a lot bigger trailer for me though, wish me luck. lol.
I've never towed anything nearly this big either, but so far no issues. people tell me the longer trailer is actually easier but the down side is we may not get into some places because of length. There are no truly perfect solutions but we can live with the compromises.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #15
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Going to do it in phases, inverter and batteries first then solar. Yeah batteries are expensive (they are coming down in price but our estimated recovery time of our outlay is about 4 years for the entire system based on the time we will be boondocking vs in CGs. We are good with that. YMMV as they say.
We are mostly campgrounds so I will put up panels first since they are cheap just to offset the electric bill. Hopefully batteries will keep getting cheaper like panels have.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #16
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
We are mostly campgrounds so I will put up panels first since they are cheap just to offset the electric bill. Hopefully batteries will keep getting cheaper like panels have.
Since everything in your rig is run off batteries (when not hooked up to shore or genny power), power from solar will be wasted if you have no place to store it which is the essence of what they do (charge batteries).

But we digress and there are plenty of threads on solar here and elsewhere to flesh out your needs.

Back to the rig, so far we have been totally impressed with it. No major hits on our PDI. Minor nits include the sharp edge on the corner of the cabinet near the door (we may round it off a bit) and the door that covers the incommand and other monitors and switches... an obstacle that could be a safety hazard (and some good ideas from others here on possible solutions)

We are going to modify the front closet into a desk area for crafting and hobbies. We were headed toward a 3811MS until this model came out. In it we hated the front window but the bench was a easy mod into a desk. Now the window is gone but the downside is extra work to do the mod for our plan. I'm handy, so not insurmountable as far as a project.

Enjoy your rig and congrats.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #17
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Since everything in your rig is run off batteries (when not hooked up to shore or genny power), power from solar will be wasted if you have no place to store it which is the essence of what they do (charge batteries).

But we digress and there are plenty of threads on solar here and elsewhere to flesh out your needs.

Back to the rig, so far we have been totally impressed with it. No major hits on our PDI. Minor nits include the sharp edge on the corner of the cabinet near the door (we may round it off a bit) and the door that covers the incommand and other monitors and switches... an obstacle that could be a safety hazard (and some good ideas from others here on possible solutions)

We are going to modify the front closet into a desk area for crafting and hobbies. We were headed toward a 3811MS until this model came out. In it we hated the front window but the bench was a easy mod into a desk. Now the window is gone but the downside is extra work to do the mod for our plan. I'm handy, so not insurmountable as far as a project.

Enjoy your rig and congrats.
That’s so funny, we were all in on the 3811 and I told my wife that I would turn the window seat into a closet for extra room, then came the 3813. It has incredible closet space and drawers. We’re doing washer and dryer too.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #18
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
It's BEAUTIFUL!!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
We love the 3813ms. Wanting it in champagne and with costal cottage colors. Love to get the legacy package as well. But will probably skip full paint.
Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #20
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Finally made it to VA to pick this up today! 3813ms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7BA1489-D627-43E1-8150-3845C8E28F1D.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	5296