Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
3575RL 110V wiring

Can you tell that we have been starting to use our "new" toy? I keep finding new things to gripe about

So, who is the brass plated nitwit who decided that it would be a good idea to put the bathroom vanity light, bath sink electrical outlet, kitchen undercabinet light, kitchen outlets(2), ceiling fan, outlets by the big rear windows (2), and the big slide with entertainment center outlets (3) & lights AND dining table light ALL ON ONE LOUSY 15AMP BREAKER!

Thats like 3/4 of our rig on a single (small) breaker...

Then I'm currently plugged into a 50amp service and I sometimes trip my 30amp main (forgot about having the water heater on electric...) because I've been running electric heat. We are in a(nother) cold snap with lows in the low 30's and highs only in the mid 40's.

I'm going to have to see about doing some really serious rewiring. Also, redoing (or replacing) the breaker box to better distribute the loads across the two legs of the 50amp service so I can actually take advantage of the extra power.

I may have to name our Monty "Neveready". My list of projects just keeps on growing and growing and growing....

Eric

Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Eric sorry about your wiring. We have a 2003 3575 & have used it a lot. & the only problem that we have is plugging coffe pot & electric heater into same circuit.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Eric, don't forget the refrigerator. It's on that same circuit. Or, at least ours is.

Sounds like you have the same electrical setup we do. Our "50 amp" main is a 30/20 double rather than a 50/50. The late 2003 models got the better systems than we have. After awhile you learn just how much you can do on that circuit. We've given up trying to use the electric side of the water heater so we're paying for propane to use the gas side instead. Beats popping that breaker all the time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
The fella apparently designed stick house wiring in the 1980's. A couple of months after we bought our cir 1981 stick house in 1998, we found that the back HALF of the house (2 bedrooms, part of a third, two bathrooms and three walk-in closets) were on ONE 15amp circuit. You wouldn't believe the string of words that came out of my mouth the day we labeled the circuits in our breaker box! Luckily, we never had an issue.

Best of luck with the wiring! next time I see an electrical engineer, I'll slap him upside the head for the both of us!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Eric, don't forget the refrigerator. It's on that same circuit. Or, at least ours is.
Steve, I haven't checked to see where the refrigerator is but I wouldn't be surprised that ours is the same. I did check a little further this morning and found that the kitchen is actually on a breaker of its own. However, the converter is on the same overloaded breaker that so much of the rest of the rig is on.

Last night, I was ever so careful to turn off the electric heating element for the water heater, kept some key lights off, etc. so I had quite a few very bad words to say when the breaker started popping this morning. I think that the last straw was when I turned the furnace up to take the chill off. That little extra was all it took to pop the breaker.

Quote:
quote:[Sounds like you have the same electrical setup we do. Our "50 amp" main is a 30/20 double rather than a 50/50. The late 2003 models got the better systems than we have. After awhile you learn just how much you can do on that circuit.
Yup, I have that 30/20 amp split. I don't have ANYTHING on that 20amp side. It "powers" the W/D closet outlet and the (unused) outlet for the second A/C we don't have.

I really think that I'm going to see about doing some rewiring. After I pull the belly open I'll see what wires are accessable from below. Then I'll add some extra circuits and balance between the two 50amp legs. While I'm at it, I may allow for an inverter (I'm thinking about one anyway.) That way if an inverter engages automatically due to mains power failure, it won't try to power the big energy items (A/C, W.H., refrigerator, outlets I want to use with electric heaters, etc...)

Quote:
quote:[ We've given up trying to use the electric side of the water heater so we're paying for propane to use the gas side instead. Beats popping that breaker all the time.
Perhaps I can rewire to a true 50/50 amp service.....

Eric
Old 05-03-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pete Alford

[...] You wouldn't believe the string of words that came out of my mouth the day we labeled the circuits in our breaker box![...]
Pete, Actually I would believe it. I think I found your string

Eric
Old 05-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Eric, we have a washer and dryer but they're on the 30 amp side the rest of the house is on. We have the second AC prep but do not have the second AC. That's where the other 20 goes. If I were not electrically challenged I'd see if I could rearrange things a bit. But that's well beyond my abilities.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Eric:

Gives one pause to think. I have the 2004 3575RL Big Sky and will have to do some research on the wiring/fuses. I just added a second 15000BTU AC to the bedroom and have run it w/o any "trippy" problems. I also have the seperate Majestic washer and dryer units and will have to see what happens when I have all services running. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer and may have him take a look and see what he recommends.

Looking forward to hearing what you've found and your solutions.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I ran a new receptacle in the kitchen off the unused 2nd a/c breaker. This way I can use a toaster or an electric heater w/o any problems.

I also installed a switch inside to control the electric side of the water heater so I don't have to go outside to turn it off.

I even added an inside switch to the patio receptacle so I can turn off the awning lights w/o going outside when we retire.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

[...]
I even added an inside switch to the patio receptacle so I can turn off the awning lights w/o going outside when we retire.

[...]
John, I rather like that idea. I'll keep in mind when I start working with the 110V stuff.

Eric
Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 AM   #11
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyguy

[font=Arial Black]Eric:

Gives one pause to think. I have the 2004 3575RL Big Sky [...]
Bruce, according to Steve Reigle above, you should already have a much improved wiring scheme than I do. However, it wouldn't hurt to understand exactly what you have....

Eric
Old 05-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Improved, no doubt. How much, I don't know. Bruce is going to have a lot of juice being pulled out of that system if he's running all those things.

Bruce, someone (camping world???) has something or other that allows you to run two AC units on the power it normally takes for one. It provides power to each unit alternately at a pace so fast that supposedly the AC units don't notice it. It sounds to me like it would be bad for the AC units but those using this whateveritis seem to be very happy with it. Wish I could remember the name of it. Maybe someone reading this will know. Or a google search.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #13
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Steve:

The gray cells recall hearing about something similar to what you mention. I "think" it was at an RV show but never checked into it because I only had a 20ft. TT at the time. The only electrical "problem" I have had is while running the furnace and having an electric heater plugged in to living room area. If both came on simultaneously, a circuit would trip. It'll be interesting to see if I can use the washer/dryer/AC, or combination thereof, W/O tripping a circuit. Won't be able to check it out until later this month when I go back out to Quartzsite.

I LOVE this site! It's soooo informative and helpful

Bruce
Old 05-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's interesting. We have the older, less capable 50 amp system that really is 30 amps to the main coach. We can run two of three major draws. Major draws includes washer/dryer (a stack but the two together are running and I count that as one for this purpose), AC, electric heater on high, microwave, toaster, coffee pot perking, electric water heater. So we can run the AC and the washer/dryer at the same time. And we could have one electric heater running on low (750w). Plus the usual array of lights, laptops, etc. But starting the third major draw appliance and we pop our main.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #15
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Steve:
That's why I want to get back to the Monty and try different combos and see what causes "trips". Better to find out while "stationary" than on the road. Still enjoying one of the best parts of God's country?

Bruce
Old 05-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yep, Bruce, we're still in Gatlinburg (leave here two weeks from today). We will have been here for about 7 1/2 weeks by the time we leave. Today we did the Kephart Prong Trail, going through the remains of a CCC camp that also was used for WWII conscientious objectors. The trail parallels a gorgeous river. We went two miles in, to a hiker's shelter like is used on the Appalachian Trail. Earlier in the week we hiked 3.4 miles of the Appalachian Trail and on Wednesday we hiked 4.7 miles (roundtrip) to Hen Wallow Falls. Yes, we are really enjoying this beautiful part of our country.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #17
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have an 04, and I noticed, when I wss in Boyds in Key West, that the breaker the ACwas on was tripping, could that be from the hot water heater? I know the fridge and hot water heater are on the same circuit. When I got to Disney, though, I didnt have this problem at all, so I dont know if it is just bad Electrical.
Hillbilly, I am interested in how you added a switch inside for the hot water heater, if you could share moe details, that would be great. I know enough about electrical where if I have some good directions, I can pretty much wire anything up.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Wow! Looks like I could make a mint rewiring 5th wheels after I retire next year. LOL I am a licensed master electrican. Just kidding, when I retire we will be traveling!
Sorry about all the trouble people are having with the wiring. If anyone wants to ask me anything, please feel free to do so and I will help if I can.
Don
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, come to a rally and bring your tools!
Old 05-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #20
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Wish I could.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote