Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
EZ-Lube vs Nev-R-Lube bearings

I'm looking at options for a disc brake kit. One of the choices is Nev-R-Lube bearings. These are sealed bearings that are pressed into the hubs at the factory. Couple of questions:

1. I have Ez-Lube spindles, is using Nev-R-Lube bearings even an option with my spindles?

2. Anyone have any experience with Nev-R-Lube bearings?

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I won't even get in to my displeasure of the EZ lube spindles despite some on the MOC's success stories. One major thing to consider with the Nev R Lube ... if you are out on the road and it fails, you'll be sitting for a while in most cases. Many trailer or RV supply stores do not stock the bearings nor do they have the setup tools needed to do the repair compared to just popping in say a new 14125 outer or a 25580 inner bearing. In some instances if a bearing goes in a Nev R Lube wheel hub ... the entire hub has to be replaced depending on what it takes with it. I always laugh when I read or hear "Never Lube" because there is no such thing as "never" when it comes to keeping a bearing properly lubed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Deiselguy

After looking at the Dexter information for the Never-Lub bearings I am with you I would never recommend this bearing system.

I have worked on ATV’s with this bearing system and it is one of the poorest arrangements that could ever be dreamed up.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
You cannot retrofit the crappy @#$% Nevr Lube hubs to an E-Z lube axle.

The photo on the top is an E-Z Lube spindle, the other is a pair of failing Nevr-Lube. The Never-Lube has a bearing surface of 1-3/8" for a single bearing capsule while the E-Z Lube is about 4" for two much larger roller bearings. You also might need new wheels if your current set doesn't have a zero backspace dimension, This change out to E-Z Lube axles on our now gone Glendale Titanium cost me about $900 with shipping and Timken bearings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-spindle-stub2-1.gif
Views:	67
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1535.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1335  
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When Moryde put IS on our old rig they also put Never lubes on. No problem with them in 5 years and over 60,000 miles. That said, if we hadn't traded the rig we would have had to have new bearings pressed in at that point and I also learned at Moryde that they don't hold up well on the heavier rigs so we won't be putting them on the new rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Mor-Ryde does not recommend never-lube on these rv's. Installing these keeps people from doing the annual inspection these trailers need. I can take a wheel off and clean and repack the bearings in about 45 minutes and taking my time i spend about 4 hours doing all 4 wheels start to finish with a whole lot more peace of mind than i would have with never-lube. Besides, to have a real good inspection of the wheels and tires you need to take them off the trailer and that's harder than packing the bearings.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Thanks for all the info; that also is what I was thinking but I wanted second opinions. I'll stick with bearings that I pack myself.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:53 AM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
When Moryde put IS on our old rig they also put Never lubes on. No problem with them in 5 years and over 60,000 miles. That said, if we hadn't traded the rig we would have had to have new bearings pressed in at that point and I also learned at Moryde that they don't hold up well on the heavier rigs so we won't be putting them on the new rig.

Hi

Please check to make sure the bearing pack the put on the IS was Dexter’s. There are bearing packs that are good bearing packs but that system Dexter has is not one of them.

Phil
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote