Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Dead Fridge Inverter and converter battery charger

I had the batteries go dead in the RV while in storage thinking the two battery disconnects worked. I took the batteries which were completely dead (0 VDC) home and got them charged fine and they load tested fine.

Today I installed another battery disconnect directly on the battery and took a generator to fire up the RV. I found that the Fridge Inverter will not power up with no display on the panel or any led. I checked the fuse and it is good. The voltage on the output of the Fridge Inverter battery disconnect is also good.

The converter inverter is also not charging the batteries. I did find through searching that it does have reverse polarity fuses which I did not check.

Any ideas on the Fridge Inverter?

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
If you connected the batteries up in reverse and blew the reverse polarity fusses on the converter, you may have also blown the fuse on the inverter or the inverter itself. the fuse is located on the front of the inverter, small circle plug you unscrew.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
The fuses on the battery charger were blown it now works fine. The fridge inverter is still doa. The AC line fuse is good and there is 12.8 volts on the battery cables. I find no breakers or resets. The manual says it has lots of protection including reverse polarity.

I still have no idea what caused this as I did not hook up anything backwards. The fridge inverter was shutoff at the disconnect?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Most inverters used to power the reside ntial fridges have a gfci that powers the fridge. With working 12vdc to its input reset the gfci. Can not reset it with no input power from batteries.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Mine does not have the GFCI option. It does pass through the AC so the fridge works. There is 12 VDC on the inverter input terminals so if there is a reset or breaker or fuse on the DC side it must be inside. The manual is vague about resetting, but mentions no warranty if I look in the cover.