Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
mtidsew

M.O.C. #13311
Battery hookup

My husband used the batteries from our Montana fifth wheel for our slide-on camper during hunting season. Unfortunately, he didn't label where he took the wires off. Now we can't remember which wires go where to hook it back up to our Montana. We have a 2014 model 3402 with 2 batteries. Of course, the owners manual doesn't have a picture of where the wires go.

I have a picture of the batteries and wires, but when I click on insert image in Format: above, it just puts img in the text and I can't insert a photo.

There is one red wire that we think goes from one battery to the other. There are two white wires with blue plastic near the end. There are two wires with yellow plastic near the end.

Our dealer is closed for the entire Thanksgiving weekend, and we're heading South tomorrow. We'd appreciate any help someone can give us.

mtidsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Hi Mtidsew,

I'm guessing you have two 12 volt batteries (verify by looking on the battery) so they need to be connected in "parallel". This means that the "positive"(+) post of one battery goes to the "positive"(+) post of the other battery with a heavy jumper. The "negative"(-) posts of the batteries also are to be connected together in they same way.

If these are 6v batteries, they need to be connected in "series", which means only one jumper is used, from the "positive" of one battery to the "negative" of the other.

Once the batteries are connected to each other as above, look for a large (probably white) wire that is bolted/screwed DIRECTLY to the trailer frame. This is the main ground wire and gets connected to the "negative" battery post. There may also be another large white wire that goes into a wiring harness, this wire gets connected to the "negative" battery post as well.

There should also be one (maybe two or more) large (probably black) wire that is connected to something other than the trailer frame. This is the main 12v supply wire that gets connected to the "positive" battery post.

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will offer info as well.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Dave nailed it! If you don't have a residential frig/invertor setup, worst case you could probably get by via hooking up one battery only.. until you can talk to your dealer.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:17 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here is a web site with wiring diagrams to show how to wire two 12v batteries in parallel or two 6v batteries in series. Scroll down to the diagrams.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Absolutely correct Dave.
Good post!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Starmaster

Hi Mtidsew,

I'm guessing you have two 12 volt batteries (verify by looking on the battery) so they need to be connected in "parallel". This means that the "positive"(+) post of one battery goes to the "positive"(+) post of the other battery with a heavy jumper. The "negative"(-) posts of the batteries also are to be connected together in they same way.

If these are 6v batteries, they need to be connected in "series", which means only one jumper is used, from the "positive" of one battery to the "negative" of the other.

Once the batteries are connected to each other as above, look for a large (probably white) wire that is bolted/screwed DIRECTLY to the trailer frame. This is the main ground wire and gets connected to the "negative" battery post. There may also be another large white wire that goes into a wiring harness, this wire gets connected to the "negative" battery post as well.

There should also be one (maybe two or more) large (probably black) wire that is connected to something other than the trailer frame. This is the main 12v supply wire that gets connected to the "positive" battery post.

I hope this helps. I'm sure others will offer info as well.

Dave
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good information!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Here is a web site with wiring diagrams to show how to wire two 12v batteries in parallel or two 6v batteries in series. Scroll down to the diagrams.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
mtidsew

M.O.C. #13311
Thanks so much for your suggestions and comments. We got it put together and now have power! Of course, there's a rule that we had to work on it in an unlighted parking lot at 32 degrees. But, it worked, so we're happy!
mtidsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
Bruce Mac

M.O.C. #25200
Hooked up 2 new batteries and went to my touch screen and have a blank screen?
Bruce Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Mac View Post
Hooked up 2 new batteries and went to my touch screen and have a blank screen?
Try this link. Pretty good tutorial.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-tutorial.html
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote