Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
A/C problem

I have a friend/neighbor who just bought a 2014 Big Sky. When we have a hard rain, water drips from the intake vents in the living area. We checked and the unit is bolted down tight on the roof. Does this mean she needs a new seal between the unit and the roof?

I believe she said it only leaks when the fan shuts off.

Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
It very well could mean that. It could also mean that the drains are clogged. The fan operation does not rule out a seal problem though. A three year old montana shouldn't have a bad seal/s unless they were installed wrong at the factory, bolts were overtightened at some point factory to dealer to first owner, or there is an issue that allows the ac to rock due to wind loads to compromise their ability, or installed over a dirty roof. Water is a killer for an rv. I would install new seals as well as the foam blocks to stabilize the unit AND insure all drains are clear. John
Old 09-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Is this a Dometic Blizzard AC? I have been trying to get mine fixed and am convinced there is a design problem. The problem with that model is the cover is designed where the top slides into the bottom allowing rain to enter and collect on the bottom tray. When the fan is on the suction created by the fan draws the water into the cooling chamber. When the fan shuts off, water drains into the return duct on my camper.

Dometic has committed to replace the cover but will not assure me that I will get the newer cover that they redesigned. Hopefully it will be fixed before my next trip with rain....
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #4
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Thanks!

We will check the drains and the a/c model.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote