Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Well I got my hitch installed today. I had to order the legs for my Q20 that fit the Ford puck system installed from the factory. The puck system is a breeze. Hitched up the Monty and took it for a 50 mile round trip to see how it pulled, and I don't think I'm imagining the significant difference in stability and bounce. There was much less hitch noise without the slider. Where the F250 would be a thrill ride going over a bridge or on I-40 in Oklahoma, the 350 smoothed out most of the bounce and hardly acted like the trailer was back there. Very pleased with the combo.

pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
this is a post I made on another thread on the subject
"we agree with most others have it weighed properly with everything on board that you would normally tow with and see were you are.

BTW on trucks REAL carry capacity My truck has a GVW of 13,000 lbs and a Carry capacity of 4268 that is great right .well not so great. The truck ready to tow everything and everyone on board weighs in at 9125.. So 13,000 lbs less the trucks actual weight of 9125 gives us a actual CC of 3825 not the listed 4268.
our actual pin weight is 2900 lbs .We are a dually so still within specs.
Do that with your truck to t the actual numbers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Specs, Shmecks... listen to the real world. Specs is an interesting start, but real world can be a whole lot different. I got burned by it and was lucky I could get it resolved. And the way I got it legally resolved still makes others nervous, but I know I am good for my state's regulation, and besides knowing I am safe, I am compliant, too.

I'll keep try and keep it simple and state my specs showed my fiver tow rating for MY truck configuration as 15,200 lbs and a CGVWR of 23,000 lbs. The trailer I tow has a GTWR of 14,200 so I thought I was good. NOPE, I was not and only a real world weight scale showed it. After I bought my truck I added a bunch of aftermarket accessories and "features". By the time I was done, I weighed my truck and it weighed about 8200 lbs. 23,000 minus 8,200 equals 14,800 left over for a fiver. BUT, after loading up the truck with the gear I carry for an outing (about 350 lbs for the hitch, passengers, pet, pet supplies, luggage, toys and other gear in the truck bed, etc.), then the truck weight goes to 8550 and only 14,450 for the fiver.

Enough with the math lessons but you'll see that loading things into the truck or trailer will affect weights at all axles. I'll also add that a residential fifth wheel carries more pin weight (up to 25%) than a cargo or horse gooseneck trailer (about 15%) and I also was overweight at the rear axle at one time because of this.

Be wary of specs, know how and what affects them, then measure your world weights and learn how they can be properly managed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #24
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Specs, Shmecks... listen to the real world. Specs is an interesting start, but real world can be a whole lot different. I got burned by it and was lucky I could get it resolved. And the way I got it legally resolved still makes others nervous, but I know I am good for my state's regulation, and besides knowing I am safe, I am compliant, too.
I'll bite Art how did you get this legally resolved? I'm no where near overweight but very curious. If it's not something you'd care to post a PM would be welcome.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ok so I will ask a question for you California guys. If you are close to your weight limit why not just get another door sticker? Some one said the police checked the door sticker to see if you are within your weight limits so why not just replace it with one more to your likening.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #26
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
The door stickers come from the factory and you can't modify them. Even if you change out the axles for bigger ones the sticker can"t be changed. You can"t change the springs and have the weight rating changed. All this is set at the factory by the NTHSA. It may say so on the sticker.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote