Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Fuel Filter and SUDDEN decrease in power

Well, have not been on the MOC in a while but know from experience that when you have a problem go to those who know.....Heading south already and today all of a sudden DCI light came on fuel filter said 0% left and truck will reduce power. Well first let me say just had the truck in for a full service, oil, air and fuel filter changes and a lube. It is a 2007 2500 Chevy HD Duramax Deisel. We limped our way into Orange Grove RV Park we were only 10 miles away. Dave reset the fuel filter and took it for a spin after unhooking, truck acted normal for first mile or 2 then POOF same thing again. Anyone out there have any suggestions before we head to a mechanic tomorrow

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I wonder if whoever serviced your truck failed to reset the computer for the new fuel filter. Unless you got a real bad batch of diesel, this isn't normal.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Yes Bob, bad fuel crossed our minds, but we did fuel last at a truckstop on I5 only $2.47 gal. So I would think they get A LOT of traffic. We have only good things to say about our truck and we must think alike. We have the same truck and the same Montana.
Keep up the input guys......
Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Leaking fuel filter head?? OR whoever installed the new filter left the old O ring up in the filter head,and that will make it loose prime it happens sometimes after a filter change,not a hard fix but another possibility,A great place for advice on this would be the Duramax Forum Those folks on there know their stuff......http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/
Old 08-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I had that problem. Truck lost power. Changed fuel filter and it worked as it should. The fuel filter life was at 27%. It maybe the suppose to be new filter or just a bad filter. It maybe worth a try. Good luck
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I just repaired one doing the same thing.

Drive it until it gives trouble, without shutting the engine off open the hood and work the primer located on top of the filter housing. If the button is not hard to push and after working it several times the truck drives OK for another few miles you have a fuel filter head leaking air.

I had to reseal the one I repaired 2 times to finally get it to work properly.

The GM dealers will not reseal one they replace the housing.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Had similar problem on our 2008. Replaced the new filter with another, problem solved. Either seal or internal bypass was bad, I didnt determine which.
Good luck.

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Right now we are sitting at the Dodge dealer in Bemiji Minn. getting the fuel filter changed. I have been getting it changed about every 8,000 to 10,000 miles ever since we had to spend $8,500 to have most of the pollution parts replaced on our 2007 Dodge. I figure it is a preventive maintance item since you never know the quality of fuel we get these days.. Hope you get your problems figure out to your satisfaction..
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Well....went to a garage this morning. They did a diagonstics and changed the fuel filter. Must have got a bad one. Everything in the truck reset and seems to be running correct. Next destination...Hemet. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #10
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I had the same problem a couple years ago. At the time I was using Wix filters which are a top brand for trucks and busses. I switched to AC/Delco filter and have not had any more problems since. To test the theory, I tried another Wix and the problem returned.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep for sure I always stick with Rancor/Ac Delco TP3018 and never had problems
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bethandkevin

I had the same problem a couple years ago. At the time I was using Wix filters which are a top brand for trucks and busses. I switched to AC/Delco filter and have not had any more problems since. To test the theory, I tried another Wix and the problem returned.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Guess what folks

Wix makes the AC/Delco filters as well.

Phil P
Old 09-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Guess what folks

Phil P
I realize a single company manufactures the same product for several companies but aren't the spec's different for each brand? Jim
Old 09-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I thought they were made by Parker/Rancor????
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Guess what folks

Phil P
Old 09-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The Wix Company makes almost all of the filters sold in the US. If they sell it under a different brand name than the OEM then the OEM has released the information to them. If the OEM hasn’t released the information then Wix doesn’t provide a filter other than the OEM.

This said if your purchase a replacement filter from say CARQUEST or Advance Discount Auto parts or similar all you have to do is ask them who made the filter. If they reply WIX then it is the exact same filter.

I know if you purchase from CARQUEST and they don’t have a listing for the filter then WIX doesn’t make it. They can order one from someone else but in this case it would not be made to the OEM specs.

I know for a fact that WIX makes the OEM filter and offers the same filter under several different names.

One last thing, the filter we are talking about for the GM Duramax can be damaged by dropping it of some similar type of injury. Also the filter can be improperly installed and cause similar problems like these in this discussion. I have installed them and had them leak air into the system and just removed and reinstalled the same filter to correct the problem.

GM did not see fit to put a lift pump in the fuel tank. The only pump in the system is the high pressure pump for the common rail. For this reason it doesn’t take but a very minute air leak to cause this problem. I have seen one Duramax 3500 with a lift pump installed in the fuel line near the fuel tank to correct this problem. I don’t recommend this but it seemed to work.

Phil P

PS:

The easy way to check to see if you have an air leak or a contaminated filter is to pull off the road when the problem happens and work the primer button on the top of the filter. If this primer button moves more than slightly before becoming very hard to push then you have air in the system. Pump it until it gets hard and the truck will run properly for a short time.