Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Propane Tanks

Some questions on issues we have encountered.

Yesterday the DH was working in the Monty and the furnace stopped. Found that the propane tank was empty so he manually flipped to other tank which was open. I thought that this would happen automatically? Are we missing something here?

Does the 3750 have a safe or hidden area? If so, where would I find it?

Shouldn't this model have come with the step stool chair? We didn't get one, but was wondering if others did?

Have not opened up the inflatable beds in the couches, but does anyone know what size beds these are?

Can you expect to be able to run the furnace all night on two full batteries, if you have nothing else running?

On our fireplace remote, there is just on or off, no adjustments possible. I had read on another post that there was high, med and low, howere on ours it appears just on and off. Am I missing something here?

Appreciate all of your shared experiences, and apologize for all of the questions!

Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

Some questions on issues we have encountered.

Yesterday the DH was working in the Monty and the furnace stopped. Found that the propane tank was empty so he manually flipped to other tank which was open. I thought that this would happen automatically? Are we missing something here?
It should switch automatically

Does the 3750 have a safe or hidden area? If so, where would I find it?
Not that we ever found

Shouldn't this model have come with the step stool chair? We didn't get one, but was wondering if others did?
It is an ordered option that must be specified

Have not opened up the inflatable beds in the couches, but does anyone know what size beds these are?
Ours were full size, originally provided with a queen size which did not fit, Flair Interiors made it right at no cost to us

Can you expect to be able to run the furnace all night on two full batteries, if you have nothing else running?
Depends entirely on the amp-hour rating of the batteries, but they should.

On our fireplace remote, there is just on or off, no adjustments possible. I had read on another post that there was high, med and low, howere on ours it appears just on and off. Am I missing something here?
Ours on the 2014 model is on and off only and the tech pointed that out during our walk-through

Appreciate all of your shared experiences, and apologize for all of the questions!
No apologies required for questions!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
My propane switches automatic, if both tanks are open. The site gauge will go from green to red when the switchover occurs. I never got the folding step stool I think it is an option. A queen size sheet and mattress pad fits my inflatable bed. I have a tin, lock box unde the bed. Good luck with your new Montana, enjoy it. I am sorry I can't answer the question about the 2 batteries, if I stop for the night it will be somewhere I don't have to worry about battery power
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I cannot address some of your questions but I can say that whether your batteries will run the furnace all night will depend on how much the furnace runs and the condition of the batteries.

It is my understanding that if both tanks are on, the auto-switching regulator will switch to the full tank automatically when on goes empty.

The remote for the Dimplex fireplace does not control the temperature, you set that on the thermostat behind the flip down front panel, there you also adjust the light and speed of flames and so on.

Someone with your model can answer the other questions I am sure.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Your batteries should run your furnace all night, but saying, "if you have nothing else running", is kind of a misnomer as these rigs have so many phantom 12 volt loads drawing current all the time. Many folks have found that leaving "nothing else running" will sometimes run their battery down in less than a week even without running the furnace. If the furnace runs a lot, your batteries are going to need charged very soon the next morning. Without going into voltages, running your batteries down too far can do irreparable damage to them and the furnace draws a lot of amps.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Thank you all for your insight and responses -great help! One more question. Where is the cold air return for the furnace? The DH thought it may be under the Refridgerator as there are louvers there, howere no way to get in there that he can see. He was going to add a furnace filter. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks so very much yet again as you all are life savers (well maybe not savers, but you sure do make it easier!!).
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
There are many ideas on return air filters. Most folks that use them have made their own. Some use the same material as AC filters. The lovers are return air. The one to address on this subject is Ozz, as he is HVAC.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
one question on the switchover. Was the lever pointed at the right tank originally? if not that may have prevented the switchover
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think the furnace uses 9-10 Amp hours when running. (Check elsewhere for exact info) When I camped in the Big Horns and temps started at around 40 or 45 at 5 pm and dropped to around 30 at 8 AM. Under these conditions the furnace seemed to run about 50-60% of the time. So do the calculations - 10 AH x 60% = 6 AH each hour during the night. Times 15 or 16 hours would be around 90-100 Amp hours. My first 12V battery that was a year old only lasted until about 5 AM, unfortunately!!! We had used the lights, etc in the afternoon/evening before going to bed. Oh, I also have a CPAP but it doesn't really use much since I don't humidify the air (via heater).

Oh, my 2nd attempt at the Big Horns I had 2 6V batteries. They lasted until about 5 pm the 2nd day and then the lights started dimming. I wasn't very smart about things and we were reading indoors with lights on a lot and some other stuff too.

So good luck. but you can kind of calculate what you will use if you want to pull it all together.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

Thank you all for your insight and responses -great help! One more question. Where is the cold air return for the furnace? The DH thought it may be under the Refridgerator as there are louvers there, howere no way to get in there that he can see. He was going to add a furnace filter. Any ideas on that one?
It seems differing models of the Montana will have a different location for the furnace, the majority seem to get at least a portion of their return air from the louvers under the steps. Looking at pictures of the 3750FL it appears the furnace may be located under the fridge. If that is indeed the location of the furnace then the louvers inside under the fridge will be where the furnace gets it's fresh air. You should be able to remove that panel and perhaps modify a regular house filter to fit behind it, if all return air in your model comes from those louvers under the fridge then you will be able to filter all the air to the furnace unlike most of us.

Good advise from twindman on calculating the current draw on the furnace. I would use no less than 10 ah in calculating. As I mentioned in my first post it depends on the amount of time the furnace must run and it will also depend on the condition of your batteries.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Not wanting to start a fight because I know many here have done it, but the furnace manufacturer's rep at the Rally was pretty adamant about not putting a filter in the return air area. Just sharing the info.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
May be a case of cover their butts, ours is doing just fine
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm sure that's true. If they say it's ok, no telling what some folks might do and then the lawyer would be getting involved.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Just last week we had a situation where the propane wouldn't switch over. I was a simple case that I forgot to open the valve on the second tank.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Just last week we had a situation where the propane wouldn't switch over. I was a simple case that I forgot to open the valve on the second tank.
Hmmmmmm, that sounds strangely familiar!!!! Hee Hee!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #16
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Not wanting to start a fight because I know many here have done it, but the furnace manufacturer's rep at the Rally was pretty adamant about not putting a filter in the return air area. Just sharing the info.
Basically, the concern about filters are their "flow" specs. The RV furnaces (any furnace) are designed for a certain amount of "free" air to operate correctly. If you get a "dust bunny catcher" type filter, it doesn't have much restriction to flow, unless it gets dirty and not changed. But a pleated high efficiency filter will restrict the flow, probably too much. These furnaces also have an overtemp safety cutout on the burner assembly, which could start kicking on and off, and eventually fail if the air flow isn't adequate. Hope this makes sense.....??
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My furnace has run all night long in 30 degree weather with still enough juice to take showers in the morning with 2 batteries, not sure what it would do in 20 degree weather though...Kinda runs not stop when we get that low lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick
2Xs what Dick said. Engineers at Keystone told us that the air return on our 3400 was marginal as it was and they said not to restrict it further with a filter. There are other configurations other than our 2007 3400RL, but that's what we were told...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The benefits or lack thereof of adding filtration specifically behind the louvers in the steps of models such as the 3402RL and others that have those louvers has been debated several times here on this forum.

I do not use a filter, and do not believe it will significantly remove dust from my unit, but it irritates me when "engineers" say that one should not do this because the return air is marginal anyway without appearing to have any idea where the furnace gets its fresh air and just how big the intakes to the furnace are that draw that air into the fan. So here is a picture of my furnace and where it gets it's fresh air.

On each side of the heat exchanger (see red dot) there is a open slot into the fan, this slot is about 1.25" wide by about 8" long at the very most. Also on the top you will see a wire grate (see red dot), it also draws air into the squirrel cage fan from there.

Combine those small amounts of area into square inches and there is not a lot of opening into the fan. Now compare that to the fact that the furnace can draw air from the entire underbelly, the storage compartment and of course under the stairs through the louvers.

Please Mr. Engineer there is 100 times more square inches that the furnace can draw air from, than it has the ability to draw through those openings into it's fan. How can that possibly be marginal.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #20
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by DQDick

I have read the same I agree
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote